corvusheart

Anyone else having trouble with employment background check?

74 posts in this topic

My husband came on K-1 visa in 2014 that's when his social security card was issued. He's a LPR with ROC and N400 pending now. Recently he's been having trouble with employment background checks. Coincidentally this has only happened after trump was elected and his employment background checks went through smoothly prior to trump era. Every background check he's had recently for jobs can never verify him because his SSN was issued after 2011. The only people who would have this problem is immigrants. Anyone else stumble into this issue? It takes him a full month to clear employment background checks now.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

None on our end. My husband's had a couple different jobs and had a few people run his information.. he first got his SSN in 2012 I believe on his first internship. No issues though here.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Did he update his social security card when he got his green card to have the valid only with work permit removed? 

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi- we never had a problem with a background check, however when we tried to set him up with a cell phone account he had to go through extra verification because of something with his social either not having numbers that related to our state or his age. It was strange. Maybe you can contact SS office to see if they can help out.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

55 minutes ago, agrabs said:

Did he update his social security card when he got his green card to have the valid only with work permit removed? 

We tried a few months ago but he doesn't have his GC anymore just a stamp in his passport. SS official wouldn't accept the stamp and said to wait till he gets his 10 year GC or citizenship. His ROC has been combined with his n400 so I don't think we'll see the 10 year card. Estimated completion time for citizenship isn't till January 2020. SS officer said SSN is still good he just can't use the card for I-9 purposes but the number itself still works. We talked to the background check company First Advantage they said anyone whose been issued a SSN after 2011 they can't verify so they have to do extensive research. Last job it took a whole month to run his background and its going to probably take that same amount of time again.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
21 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

We tried a few months ago but he doesn't have his GC anymore just a stamp in his passport. SS official wouldn't accept the stamp and said to wait till he gets his 10 year GC or citizenship. His ROC has been combined with his n400 so I don't think we'll see the 10 year card. Estimated completion time for citizenship isn't till January 2020. SS officer said SSN is still good he just can't use the card for I-9 purposes but the number itself still works. We talked to the background check company First Advantage they said anyone whose been issued a SSN after 2011 they can't verify so they have to do extensive research. Last job it took a whole month to run his background and its going to probably take that same amount of time again.

Most SS Offices  don't really do well once they see I-551 stamp. But it should work, according to their own policy

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025#c1d

May be try another SS Office. And probably bring the printouts with you.

Good luck!! 

P.S. Not sure exactly how it works, but I used to have some trouble with verification as well (ss card was issued in 2014).  But once i received my conditional green card and got the restriction removed from the  ss card,  no problem since then.

Edited by Ksenia_O

11 minutes ago, agrabs said:

That is why it’s important to update your social security card before ROC and before the green card expires.  My husband’s social was issued in 2012 and never has had a problem.    

Im pretty sure the issue is more likely to be related to failing to update the social security number than to Mr Trump

Other things he's had to use his SSN for worked. The number doesn't just become invalid all of a sudden. The number is still good he just can't use the card for I-9 purposes. There's a disclaimer from First Advantage saying they can't verify any SSN issued after 2011.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The changes are about needing more numbers, not something Trump thought up.

https://www.ssa.gov/kc/SSAFactSheet--IssuingSSNs.pdf

Verification info. Scroll down to #12

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/140-some-questions-you-may-have-about-form-i-9

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The changes are about needing more numbers, not something Trump thought up.

https://www.ssa.gov/kc/SSAFactSheet--IssuingSSNs.pdf

Verification info. Scroll down to #12

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/140-some-questions-you-may-have-about-form-i-9

Thanks for the info I had no idea the methodology was changed. So this background check company probably hadn't updated their systems to verify new numbers. When he fills out I-9 he just uses his state ID and stamp in his passport. Also is he REQUIRED to update his SSN card? Am I right in saying the SSN is still valid just not the card itself?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Older SS numbers where issued with geographically significant numbers.   To make it harder for ID thieves they started issuing them randomly and  that messed up some verification tools/

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 hours ago, corvusheart said:

My husband came on K-1 visa in 2014 that's when his social security card was issued. He's a LPR with ROC and N400 pending now. Recently he's been having trouble with employment background checks. Coincidentally this has only happened after trump was elected and his employment background checks went through smoothly prior to trump era. Every background check he's had recently for jobs can never verify him because his SSN was issued after 2011. The only people who would have this problem is immigrants. Anyone else stumble into this issue? It takes him a full month to clear employment background checks now.

You obviously have an axe to grind about President Trump. Your situation is nothing of the sort. Has he gone back and notified SS that he has a two year GC? THAT is more the reason. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Companies do different levels of background checks. DS had not only criminal but also financials checks when he started work 11 years ago.  I can only imagine how much more strict his company is today given how concerned they were years ago.

If he does not like the rules, he can certainly apply elsewhere - including in his home country.

Background checks must be stricter now given the number of fake documents floating around. Unfortunately, immigrants are more likely to use them because they do not have real ones.  It is also harder to validate real ones.

Just look at the number of times ads for fake documents show up on immigration forums - including this one - to know that these checks are essential..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.