corvusheart

Anyone else having trouble with employment background check?

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Becci391 said:

What do I need beside the Green Card? Passport? valid ID?

Do I fill out any additional paperwork?

Don't remember exactly, but there was not any additional paperwork  to update my immigration status with SS Administration.  But I believe I had to fill out SS-5 form, again :)

Documents - yes, passport, ID and green card. I also had my birth certificate with me - not sure it was requested though.

Some people reported here that their restricted ss card got kept by ss officee (mine was not) . So, maybe just make a copy before you go - just in case.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 hours ago, corvusheart said:

We talked to the background check company First Advantage they said anyone whose been issued a SSN after 2011 they can't verify so they have to do extensive research. Last job it took a whole month to run his background and its going to probably take that same amount of time again.

I have a related experience with First Advantage, although it’s not an immigration issue.

I (U.S. citizen) had an IT consulting company for more than 15 years, which finally folded a couple years ago. After closing the doors, I was looking for a regular job, and the pattern I ran into was that I’d have a great interview with a hiring manager who would  extend an offer that I’d accept. They’d start a background check as part of the onboarding process (I’ve passed dozens of background checks during my career, so this seemed like a formality).  Then weeks would go by without anyone giving me a start date.

What I found out was happening was that First Advantage told the hiring employer that they were unable to verify my employment history because there was no one left at my employer. And because I couldn’t pass the background check, the offer was withdrawn.

After this happened a couple of times, I tried to explain the situation to First Advantage and gave them official documents showing that I was the president of the corporation, etc. They verbally told me that they would pass me based on those documents, but they evidently told the employer the opposite because the offer was again withdrawn due to the background check. So, it seems that I am no longer employable in corporate IT as a result of First Advantage’s verification policies.  

I’m not sure what the take away is from this since my situation probably isn’t super common, but it’s easy for me to believe that something as common as an immigrant’s SSN might trip up First Advantage’s inflexible process.

K1 Visa Timeline

08/25/2016 - I-129F Packet Sent
08/29/2016 - NOA 1 Received
10/04/2016 - NOA 2 Received (48 days)
10/21/2016 - NVC received packet & assigned case #
11/30/2016 - Interview - Approved!
12/08/2016 - Visa received
01/13/2017 - Arrived in US

From sending I-129F packet until arrival in US: 141 days

AOS Timeline

Spoiler

04/09/2017 - Married 
04/19/2018 - AOS packet sent (I-485, I-131, I-765)
04/25/2017 - AOS packet arrived at USCIS (per USPS)
04/28/2017 - Filing date by USCIS
05/01/2017 - NOA1s notification by email
05/22/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed
07/13/2017 - I-485 case status changed to "We are scheduling your interview"
08/18/2017 - Contacted House representative for help with EAD
08/29/2017 - EAD & AP approved (126 days from packet receipt until approval)
09/08/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card arrived in mail (expires 08/28/2018)
03/22/2018 - EAD/AP renewal application packet sent
03/29/2018 - EAD/AP renewal application filed
04/02/2018 - EAD case status changed to "We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing"
08/06/2018 - Infopass appointment (3 weeks before EAD expiration)

10/25/2018 - USCIS scheduled interview and mailed letter

10/27/2018 - Infopass appointment #2

11/29/2018 - Interview

12/03/2018 - Case status changed to "Interview was completed and my case must be reviewed"

12/13/2018 - Case status changed to "Case was approved"

In my personal experience, when I came here on conditional green card in Aug 2016, I started job hunting immediately. I was able to land an interview in the beginning of Sept at a job fair in the hope of starting in 2wks. Yea, right!

I was contacted by the HR assistant who told me that my background check was still pending and I would not be able to start working until my background check was cleared. After a stressful 3wks of waiting, I got a call that everything was great and I could start beginning of Oct 2016.

So, I have shared my experience to let you know that I understand the nerves, stress, upset, etc. that accompanies the background checks. Hang in there!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Sounds like First Advantage as a background check company pretty much sucks. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
8 minutes ago, NikLR said:

First Advantage as a background check company pretty much sucks

This should be the name of this thread:jest:

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, implife said:

Yaeh, except trump has nothing to do with how good the job market is. He is, however, responsible for screwing it up as we speak.

That is total nonsense.......tax cuts and removing excessive government regulations have given our country the best economy in years.......but everyone is welcome to keep drinking the MSM kool-aid.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

My company uses HireRight for employee background check. They were not able to verify my SSN. Turns out they were using a e-verify SSN service that can verify only SSNs that are issued before 2011. The HR department of my company requested for my SSN Card. Never run any issues after that.

Edited by SB5130

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

2 hours ago, TM92 said:

This should be the name of this thread:jest:

If I could change it to that I would.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

That is total nonsense.......tax cuts and removing excessive government regulations have given our country the best economy in years.......but everyone is welcome to keep drinking the MSM kool-aid.

OP's original post is a perfect example of how the kool-aid is poured!  Initial reaction was to blame Trump for her problem .  If you only read her post and not the entire thread it is easy to interpret it as Trump is making it difficult for her immigrant husband to work.  In reality, it is  changes put in place before the current administration for better security for all of us, the background check company and her husband's failure to update the SSN #.         *****    I don't agree with all the policies of this administration or the previous administration just want the facts ****

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

1 hour ago, agrabs said:

OP's original post is a perfect example of how the kool-aid is poured!  Initial reaction was to blame Trump for her problem .  If you only read her post and not the entire thread it is easy to interpret it as Trump is making it difficult for her immigrant husband to work.  In reality, it is  changes put in place before the current administration for better security for all of us, the background check company and her husband's failure to update the SSN #.         *****    I don't agree with all the policies of this administration or the previous administration just want the facts ****

Someone is a bit sensitive.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm going through a background check and they came back to me that something came up on my SSN and they have to look further into it. 😕They asked for a copy so we will see. I had 2 other jobs before this and never had any issues.

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, corvusheart said:

Sorry didn't know the status quo was to wait 31 days for a background check to clear for a job that doesn't even require a college degree.

Background checks are more likely to find problems especially with people who have no college degree because these people are more likely to enter the USA illegally and try to use fake SSN to apply for a low salaried job.

1 hour ago, James D said:

Background checks are more likely to find problems especially with people who have no college degree because these people are more likely to enter the USA illegally and try to use fake SSN to apply for a low salaried job.

Illegals aren't likely to apply for jobs that require background checks. 

But this also isnt the OPs issue regardless. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.