Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About mnk

  • Rank
  • Member # 302081

Profile Information

  • City
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Adjustment of Status (approved)
  • Place benefits filed at
    National Benefits Center
  • Local Office
    Fresno CA
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

402 profile views
  1. There is only so much we can figure out from the information they give us. If the process were transparent and easy to understand, there wouldn't be so many questions and need for shared experiences here on VJ! You did get you AP relatively quickly, which is great. And you are right, it doesn't hurt or cost anything to request. Great info on how you made the request and the process.
  2. Congratulations on getting your AP! As far as the expedite request, could it be coincidence? Your application was sent beginning of December, and you received approval beginning of May. That's 5 months. Official processing time for I-131 is 5-7 months right now, so this could have been standard. Did you receive a message after: "your request to have your case expedited ... was assigned to an officer for response." Were you informed that the expedite request itself was approved? That would be interesting to know.
  3. Your marriage certificate is your proof of name change, so you can provide it with your passport to get your driver's license in your new name. Is the car going to be in your name only, or will it be you and your spouse? You can be on the car title and insurance as an unlicensed driver, you just can't drive it. It would be best to wait for the EAD to apply for the regular license, so you don't have to do AB60. This is the process that we went through with my husband. We bought a new car after applying for AOS, and registered it with both of our names. He was ready to apply for a license two months later, still without EAD. We also considered doing the AB60, but luckily his EAD came in just a couple weeks later. If you do try, know that your experience will vary greatly depending on the DMV person who "helps" you. The first person we talked to was helpful and told us what we needed. But when we came back, the second person obviously had an issue with the AB60. She was very rude and only tried to discourage him from applying for it.
  4. I don't understand. The I-130 petition was filed February 2017. As the spouse of an LPR, his visa category is F2A. Per the January Visa Bulletin (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-january-2019.html) They are processing F2A applications filed before December 2017. His priority date is already current and he can apply for his visa now. If you contact NVC and upgrade the petition, that will change his visa category to IR-1. The basic difference is that visas are immediately available for that category, which is essentially like saying the priority date is always current. This means there will be no effective change in his situation if you upgrade the petition because he can already apply for the visa. He is in the US currently on VWP with an approved I-130 and current priority date. Why stay to adjust status, pay the $1225, wait 6-8 months for EAD/AP before being able to travel and work? He can go back and apply for the visa now, interview at the embassy, then enter the US with the visa and immediately receive green card.
  5. Don't panic! You have filed for AOS after entering on K1, correct? The expiration date on your visa does not matter at this point. The NOA1 you received for the I-485 is proof of your current status as a pending applicant for permanent residency; that allows you to stay in the US while your application is being processed. In fact, do not leave US before a decision is made, or you receive approval for AP. If you leave before receiving either, then your application is considered abandoned and will be denied. The timeline approximation dates offered by VJ are averages based on the timelines self-reported by other users. They are handy to get an idea of how fast (or slow rather) the process is currently going others. But it is not official in any way, and no indication of how long your individual case will take.
  6. Are you an employee or a contractor? They are asking for the employment information, so if you are an employee working remotely from home, put the business address for the department or branch office that you report to. If you are a contractor, then you are likely self-employed and you would put your home address as your business address.
  7. Our LA county certificate did not take the full 6 weeks. It was ready after two. You can call the Norfolk office with your marriage licence number to check whether it has been recorded yet. If it has been recorded, it only takes a couple days to come in the mail. It might take just a little longer at this time of year due to the holidays.
  8. Ours came like that, too. It's common for them to put the mother's name as "in care of" on the interview letter. Apparently, it is to help with identification, or to differentiate between GC applicants with the same name. I didn't ask our IO about that though, that's just the reason I read on here.
  9. Fresno is full of immigrants of all kinds. I always find it interesting to learn what brings people here. I believe I saw on MeetUp that there is a British one already, but if you want to start a more general one, that could be interesting.
  10. Agreed. At least cut it down to one sentence. Second paragraph: do not apologize. You are not allowed to attend the interview; you aren't doing anything wrong. Instead of excusing why you aren't there, try saying why you want to be there had it been possible. That will be a stronger, more active position.
  11. Just needs some tweaks to make it read more like the intended positive. For example: I have regrettably not been able to travel to Sri Lanka to visit Pam as much as I would have liked. Chronic back issues and surgery a few years ago have made it painful for me to fly in economy class for such a great distance. On my first trip to see Pam, I found it was only tolerable with the extra space in business class. However, business class is very expensive and multiple trips were beyond my means. Instead, I invested in our relationship in a different way. Saving that money on airfare allowed me to begin remodeling our home, which Pam and I will enjoy for years to come.
  12. Wow. That is a Texas-sized backlog at the Houston office. 20,704 still pending and growing. They received over 3000 new applications but only processed a little more than 2000 (approved + denied). Some other offices were able to process more than they received, which is nice to see. Hopefully that means some people will be seeing reduced processing times.
  13. Another update: We were approved at our interview yesterday! IO confirmed our approval in the interview, and case tracker shows card in production. It went very smoothly. I was very stressed about my I-864 and worried that we would be asked for a joint sponsor, because I changed jobs and became self-employed shortly after filing. It was not an issue at all. Let me know if you have any questions!
  14. Yeah, it does sound intimidating. I wasn't able to find a whole lot of experience on here before we left either , so I definitely wanted to share ours. Yes, it was vacation. We went just to visit his family as well. He wasn't really questioned about his trip or purpose, however. I would say don't be afraid to use it. They wouldn't grant it if they didn't expect it to be used. Just plan for enough time, and be prepared.
  • Create New...