corvusheart

Anyone else having trouble with employment background check?

74 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Companies do different levels of background checks. DS had not only criminal but also financials checks when he started work 11 years ago.  I can only imagine how much more strict his company is today given how concerned they were years ago.

If he does not like the rules, he can certainly apply elsewhere - including in his home country.

Background checks must be stricter now given the number of fake documents floating around. Unfortunately, immigrants are more likely to use them because they do not have real ones.  It is also harder to validate real ones.

Just look at the number of times ads for fake documents show up on immigration forums - including this one - to know that these checks are essential..

Sorry didn't know the status quo was to wait 31 days for a background check to clear for a job that doesn't even require a college degree.

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

53 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

You obviously have an axe to grind about President Trump. Your situation is nothing of the sort. Has he gone back and notified SS that he has a two year GC? THAT is more the reason. 

So what you're saying is his SSN is invalid now? Even though it still works when we change health insurance and file taxes. That's an interesting invalid SSN.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, NYCruiser said:

You obviously have an axe to grind about President Trump. Your situation is nothing of the sort. Has he gone back and notified SS that he has a two year GC? THAT is more the reason. 

Oh please, both reasons are nonsense. Neither Trump nor the GC have anything to do with it. My wife has never contacted SS since getting her GC in 2015 and hasn't ever encountered any problems with a background check. I've lost count how many jobs she's had since getting her EAD (then GC). 

OP- I think your husband just has bad luck unfortunately. Also, some companies are more thorough, some are more incompetent, etc. My own employer takes about a month to do the basic background checks for new hires.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Just now, usmsbow said:

Oh please, both reasons are nonsense. Neither Trump nor the GC have anything to do with it. My wife has never contacted SS since getting her GC in 2015 and hasn't ever encountered any problems with a background check. I've lost count how many jobs she's had since getting her EAD (then GC). 

OP- I think your husband just has bad luck unfortunately. Also, some companies are more thorough, some are more incompetent, etc. My own employer takes about a month to do the basic background checks for new hires.

So you never removed the restriction? I think it's more than likely the background check company is just cheap.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline
1 minute ago, corvusheart said:

So you never removed the restriction? I think it's more than likely the background check company is just cheap.

Nope, never have. Yes, I think you're right. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

when we tried to set him up with a cell phone account he had to go through extra verification because of something with his social either not having numbers that related to our state or his age. It was strange.

You husband's SSN was issued after June 25, 2011: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/socialsecurity.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

44 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Does your husband have a driver's licence or state ID?  A loan?  Is he only getting errors with one background check provider, or multiple?

State ID he has. One so far : First Advantage. Another job he had earlier in the year utilized them and he had to wait out 31 days this other job he's got uses the same one and they are having trouble again.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, corvusheart said:

So what you're saying is his SSN is invalid now? Even though it still works when we change health insurance and file taxes. That's an interesting invalid SSN.

It's not an invalid number, but Social Security may still think he is a visa holder, not LPR. The Social Security Administration does not authorize work.

Taxes and health insurance use it as an ID number reference. They aren't running background checks with it, so "it works" in that situation only means you gave them a number. People give fake numbers too that "work" in that situation. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

It's not an invalid number, but Social Security may still think he is a visa holder, not LPR. The Social Security Administration does not authorize work.

Taxes and health insurance use it as an ID number reference. They aren't running background checks with it, so "it works" in that situation only means you gave them a number. People give fake numbers too that "work" in that situation. 

Right, SSA does not authorize work, so why would it care if the person is a visa holder or LPR? How would that impact the background check? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
28 minutes ago, TM92 said:

You husband's SSN was issued after June 25, 2011: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/socialsecurity.html

Very interesting, thank you!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Yeah - I had something similar happen, albeit a year ago, and I know it's happened for credit score information, too. Basically, I didn't have enough background, employment or financial, in the US to verify me through the regular/automatic process so they had to do it manually. It worked out 100% in the end, but took a bit more time.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, corvusheart said:

We tried a few months ago but he doesn't have his GC anymore just a stamp in his passport. SS official wouldn't accept the stamp and said to wait till he gets his 10 year GC or citizenship. His ROC has been combined with his n400 so I don't think we'll see the 10 year card. Estimated completion time for citizenship isn't till January 2020. SS officer said SSN is still good he just can't use the card for I-9 purposes but the number itself still works. We talked to the background check company First Advantage they said anyone whose been issued a SSN after 2011 they can't verify so they have to do extensive research. Last job it took a whole month to run his background and its going to probably take that same amount of time again.

I just updated my status with SSA office with stamp in passport. She just chose i 551 option in the system and put expiry date as stamp expiry date. She also said once I get my card, i have to come back and update the expiry date again. They have to accept stamp. If you dont update your status with ssa, then during background check your green card status cant be confirmed. So go back to ssa and ask again.

Edited by cd37

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.