BVGApeach

USCIS Tier 1 Officer rant on Reddit

34 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, boris64 said:

I work for the government...that's not salty or a rant. Just reality in an organization with a high workload....

Same here and this is so true......

What's funny is I actually got an account on reddit so that I can comment on the askimmigration and immigration subforums last week. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Well, it's been deleted on reddit. 

I have a job that's high stress and pressure dealing with tough customers, and I recognize a "letting off of steam" when I see one ;) Honestly, I think it's good to hear from their POV because we rarely do. 

Mailed I-129F from Romania: 06/29/2017 

NOA1: 07/17/2017

NOA2: 02/03/2018 (paper) ; 02/05/2018 (updated online) 

NVC RECEIVED: 02/15/2018 

NVC CASE # ASSIGNED: 02/20/2018

REC'D AT EMBASSY: 02/21/2018

MEDICAL: 02/26/2018

INTERVIEW: 03/07/2018 (APPROVED!)

VISA ON HAND: 03/12/2018

POE (BOSTON): 04/18/2018

MARRIED: 04/26/2018 

AOS MAILED: 05/11/2018

NOA1: 05/14/2018

BIOMETRICS: 06/15/2018

EAD/AP APPROVED: 12/14/2018

INTERVIEW: 04/04/2019 - Approved! :D

I've often wondered why it takes so long. Especially the AOS and the Removing conditions. You can't tell me it costs them $1200 to process an AOS case. And for it to take over 2 years? If they are short staffed then hire more people. They receive plenty for our petition fees. And my K1 petition. I bet they don't look at the case for more than 20 mins here on state side. Yes they do background checks and whatever. But $535 to do all that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If the workload is so high they should hire a few more people. Here is a link to the Fiscal budget from USCIS for the past few years. They bring in 4,458,000.00 roughly from our fees, and their total cost for every Full-time, Part time, benefits, insurance, etc. is only 2,018,000.00 or so. I'm rounding a little bit. Your telling me that extra 2 plus million goes for paperclips and post it notes? I suggest they hire a few more people, looks like they have the money.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/USCIS FY18 Budget.pdf.

I didn't read the whole 172 pages, so maybe I missed something, but I'm pretty sure our fees could bring in a few more employees. I know they have to buy those thousand dollar staplers, and 200 dollar pens, but I think there is some wiggle room in there for a few more employees. It's just the standard government agency, they are all just about the same, I just wish it was like in a few countries I have been to where you could grease a few palms and have your approval in a few days instead of a few months. LOL I invested in a business as a co-owner years ago in Macedonia, and had citizenship in 6-7 months. My friend still runs the business there and lives there and loves it, I was just in it for the second citizenship, and a place with a flat tax of 10% if I ever finally decide I have had enough of the US and leave permanently and dump my US citizenship, because if I keep my citizenship I still have to pay taxes on money earned while I am out of the country. Not if I am no longer a citizen!

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

27 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

If the workload is so high they should hire a few more people. Here is a link to the Fiscal budget from USCIS for the past few years. They bring in 4,458,000.00 roughly from our fees, and their total cost for every Full-time, Part time, benefits, insurance, etc. is only 2,018,000.00 or so. I'm rounding a little bit. Your telling me that extra 2 plus million goes for paperclips and post it notes? I suggest they hire a few more people, looks like they have the money.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/USCIS FY18 Budget.pdf.

I didn't read the whole 172 pages, so maybe I missed something, but I'm pretty sure our fees could bring in a few more employees. I know they have to buy those thousand dollar staplers, and 200 dollar pens, but I think there is some wiggle room in there for a few more employees. It's just the standard government agency, they are all just about the same, I just wish it was like in a few countries I have been to where you could grease a few palms and have your approval in a few days instead of a few months. LOL I invested in a business as a co-owner years ago in Macedonia, and had citizenship in 6-7 months. My friend still runs the business there and lives there and loves it, I was just in it for the second citizenship, and a place with a flat tax of 10% if I ever finally decide I have had enough of the US and leave permanently and dump my US citizenship, because if I keep my citizenship I still have to pay taxes on money earned while I am out of the country. Not if I am no longer a citizen!

Now that's a rant))) Interesting document. It looks like they hired 2300+ in the immigration examination section fro FY17 to FY18...That includes district offices and service centers. They seem to be very top heavy. A lot of GS-13, 14 and 15 level employees. Also, 15% of their workforce are located at headquarters and never touch a case...

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
50 minutes ago, boris64 said:

Now that's a rant))) Interesting document. It looks like they hired 2300+ in the immigration examination section fro FY17 to FY18...That includes district offices and service centers. They seem to be very top heavy. A lot of GS-13, 14 and 15 level employees. Also, 15% of their workforce are located at headquarters and never touch a case...

I know they are hiring at a lot of the local service centers, about a month ago I checked job listings and they had about 63 open jobs. I was going to apply at my service center so maybe I can help my own application along, but decided against it. LOL

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Tier 1s are on the frontline because the whole system is a shambles, and people who have called before know that tier 1s cannot tell you anything at all. Callers know that it needs to be escalated, so in the majority of cases where they immediately ask for a tier 2 are actually trying to save them work and time by having to read out exactly the same thing that the automated voice just did.

if you don't like dealing with people (frustrated people at that), then don't get a job that involves dealing with people. 

I have also been hung up on by both tier 1 and 2s before.

Heaven forbid people actually want to know what is going on with what is a pretty drastic thing in their lives, in the absence of any communication from USCIS.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

While our petition was in process from February 2017 through November 2017, I had never called USCIS..I would have people (not my husband) bugging me to call to see what was prolonging our petition, but never did and we both waited patiently..When it came around to the NVC, while in the process of filling out my Ds-260, I got locked out of the CEAC website, so I called and the issue was resolved 3 days later..The next time I called, it was a month and a half later and the agent provided us with our interview date..I say all this because I knew we were within our normal time frame and didn't feel the need to call on a weekly basis...Not knocking others who feels the need to do so, but my husband and I kept ourselves busy throughout this whole process...It was all worth the 13 months and 3 days of waiting....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Some people are borderline ridiculous that I've seen on this site. Statements along the lines of "I know people that filed a week after me have gotten their NOA2 so I'm going to call and ask for a tier 2" The results are normally wasting time on hold. Unless you have an actual issue or are wayyyyyy outside by of the ordinary don't be part of the problem. If you are of the opinion well I paid so I should be able to call if I want to. Don't you think the tier 2 officers would love to hire more people so they wouldn't get as many angry phone calls? If you want to waste your breath at least call your government representatives because they could possibly one day maybe actually do something about it.

31 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Some people are borderline ridiculous that I've seen on this site. Statements along the lines of "I know people that filed a week after me have gotten their NOA2 so I'm going to call and ask for a tier 2" The results are normally wasting time on hold. Unless you have an actual issue or are wayyyyyy outside by of the ordinary don't be part of the problem. If you are of the opinion well I paid so I should be able to call if I want to. Don't you think the tier 2 officers would love to hire more people so they wouldn't get as many angry phone calls? If you want to waste your breath at least call your government representatives because they could possibly one day maybe actually do something about it.

That is one thing about this site I do not like is people literally start freaking out if there case is a week out of status or someone's case was approved before their's. 

Where in NC are from? I am in NC right now. 

I work for a known company as customer representative. I can definitely relate or be on his shoes. Lol. "Put me with a supervisor" before I even get to introduce myself. When all the possible solutions are given and they are not happy with it, they expect the supervisor to do magic. I assume asking for a 2 Tier is the same idea.

It's partially USCIS fault too. Telling people it will take about 8.5 months to 11 months with no information in between whatsoever is what causes this flood of calls. I waited 6 months for my USCIS approval and I counted every single day. It wasn't easy. In this day and age, when companies like Amazon can tell you where exactly is your delivery truck minute-by-minute, nobody wants to sit and wait for 11 months with no information about such a major aspect of their life.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 2018 Waiting Games.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
21 hours ago, BVGApeach said:

I think this part kind of showed me the amount of frustration on both sides - callers wanting information on cases that they've had no updates on in months (I can relate) and the Tier 1 support people trying to find the best solution to the callers' problems, which may not always be transferring to Tier 2. 

I deeply wish that there was more transparency on USCIS's side. For example, while we were waiting for our K1 NOA2, it would've really put my mind at ease to get a notification that my file had been touched. Instead, it was like a 200 day anxiety marathon wait of no information at all. :( 

Also if there was a process for selecting cases. First in First out or something like that. When you see people who filed way later than you have been interviewed while you are still waiting eagerly for you USCIS approval, it does frustrate you.

I can completely relate to the Reddit poster.....customer service of any kind is beyond frustrating when you are limited on resources/info to provide the general public. Yelling, cursing and degradation will be rampant but there is nothing you can do to help if you don't have the answers to the callers' questions. You just can't use lemons to make an apple pie.

fix my life shrug GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Thank you for posting this and including the content before it was deleted. It really helps us out a lot, and I may not even be there to that level to call yet but it helps me reconsider for the future. :)

Now, the more I know!

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-2024]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.
NOA as of 4/29/24 - Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 30th in Chattanooga, TN. Rescheduled as of May 2nd, 2024 by USCIS - new date is May 29th.
May 29th - Naturalized! Ta-da!