Jump to content

64 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hey guys,

 

I'm new here and I've been reading through the forum for some input from individuals on going the K-1 route. 

 

My fiance and I are just about ready to file for the K-1 this coming week. We're just wanting to make sure this would be the fastest route to be together. We've been seeing through several apps and facebook groups that this is the case as the processing backlog is almost null with cases from as early as December 2021 already being processed. We want to be together as quickly as possible and the financial aspect would not be a factor for me since I own a company here in South America and make passive income. I would be easily able to support and maintain us for 2 whole years if needed. I also know that if I bring my driver's license I can trade it in for an international driver's license once within the US so driving is not another issue for me. 

 

I'm just asking for some input from people since they keep claiming IR-1 and CR-1 are the way to go, our only issue is that we cannot get married as she cannot travel due to work and having 2 small children (Which I am dying to live with and yes we've met already in person, have lots of proof etc).

 

Would greatly appreciate some input from you guys, 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline
1 minute ago, MarJhi said:

Well I would tell you that you probably need to disregard anything you see on those apps and facebook groups. We got our NOA1 356 days ago and we are expecting to wait another 2 months minimum to receive the NOA2. 

 

Tamp down your expectations or you will be very disappointed.

Oh but we share our timelines as well as screenshots of NOA1 to NOA2 on our groups and subreddits. I do know that the philippines has longer wait times since you guys have a huge amount of applications versus countries that have way less applications like mine or even countries like Peru etc. I am not having insane expactations, I know it can take up to 13 months or so, just trying to figure out apart from the "Having a greencard upon entry" and "financial struggel" what else makes filing for an IR-1/CR-1 better than a K-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you want to be together ASAP, stay with her in her country and file a K-1 or CR-1 and wait for it to be adjudicated.

 

I'd advise CR-1. 


Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Timona said:

If you want to be together ASAP, stay with her in her country and file a K-1 or CR-1 and wait for it to be adjudicated.

 

I'd advise CR-1. 

I am the beneficiary and I explained above the reason we cannot do that. What is the difference between IR-1 and CR-1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
21 minutes ago, TempunAlex said:

I am the beneficiary and I explained above the reason we cannot do that. What is the difference between IR-1 and CR-1?

CR-1 visa leads to a conditional green card, and is given when the marriage is <2 years old.  IR-1 is a 10 year green card, and is given when the marriage is >2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
22 minutes ago, TempunAlex said:

I am the beneficiary and I explained above the reason we cannot do that. What is the difference between IR-1 and CR-1?

Strongly suggest you do some reading and researching, including reading the guides here on VJ.  You need more than a basic understanding of how US immigration works in order to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
43 minutes ago, TempunAlex said:

I am the beneficiary and I explained above the reason we cannot do that. What is the difference between IR-1 and CR-1?

 

Ooo you're beneficiary? 

As I said, if you want ASAP, have her move to S.America and wait for adjudication of your petition. That's the best ASAP response/scenario. 

 

Otherwise, file a petition and wait. 


Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the current processing times being relatively close to each other, you can’t really base the decision to go K1 or CR1 on that. 
 

Besides, if she can’t leave the US to get married, the K1 would be the only option for you! 


 

USNLhome.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

It is no longer "fastest" overall, and the AOS process for K-1s is a big negative.

 

Most of us who did a K-1 even when the petition process was only 6 months (vs current 13 months) would have chosen a CR-1 in retrospect.

 

"Fast" is not a reasonable criterion for choosing a visa in 2022.

 

 

I could not agree more with this comment.

Edited by JoshandSarah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TempunAlex said:

Hey guys,

 

I'm new here and I've been reading through the forum for some input from individuals on going the K-1 route. 

 

My fiance and I are just about ready to file for the K-1 this coming week. We're just wanting to make sure this would be the fastest route to be together. We've been seeing through several apps and facebook groups that this is the case as the processing backlog is almost null with cases from as early as December 2021 already being processed. We want to be together as quickly as possible and the financial aspect would not be a factor for me since I own a company here in South America and make passive income. I would be easily able to support and maintain us for 2 whole years if needed. I also know that if I bring my driver's license I can trade it in for an international driver's license once within the US so driving is not another issue for me. 

 

I'm just asking for some input from people since they keep claiming IR-1 and CR-1 are the way to go, our only issue is that we cannot get married as she cannot travel due to work and having 2 small children (Which I am dying to live with and yes we've met already in person, have lots of proof etc).

 

Would greatly appreciate some input from you guys, 

 

Thank you!

When is the last time you saw her? She was able to travel then but unable to now? How many times have you met and will she be able to travel to see you while the I-129F is pending? 

The CR1/IR1 and K1 timelines for Uruguay haven't been updated for a few years (last interview according to VJ was in 2019 for both categories). 

3 CR1/IR1s issued in May. 4 in April. 3 in March.  Monthly Immigrant Visa &nbsp;Stats

2 K1s were issued in May.None in April. None in March. Monthly Non-Immigrant Visa Stats. 

 

If you really think the K1 will be quicker (especially if your partner cannot visit you for another 6-12 months) I would go the K1 route. You seem convinced this is the best option for you. 

Not sure if Montevideo has K1s as low priority or most US/Uruguay couples decide spousal visa is the better option. 

 

You can always file the I-129F now and if the waiting times increase revisit your decision when you and your partner decide to meet again and reconsider the spousal route. 

 

Good luck! The immigration process (K1 or spousal) is not quick or easy and can really test your relationship. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
5 hours ago, TempunAlex said:

Oh but we share our timelines as well as screenshots of NOA1 to NOA2 on our groups and subreddits. I do know that the philippines has longer wait times since you guys have a huge amount of applications versus countries that have way less applications like mine or even countries like Peru etc. I am not having insane expactations, I know it can take up to 13 months or so, just trying to figure out apart from the "Having a greencard upon entry" and "financial struggel" what else makes filing for an IR-1/CR-1 better than a K-1.

Coming on here thinking you know, after somebody suggested something to you is a big mistake on here. People are taking the time out of their day to guide you. Many people come on here thinking they know what the processing times are and are then very disappointed when they find out their information they've gotten is incorrect. Just letting you know how it usually is. Also something I didn't do for a long time was use the search bar on VJ it's very helpful cause people have usually asked similar questions recently. Have a good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...