oat12

Worried and scared... Abusive spouse threatening to call USCIS

79 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I recently got approved for an IR1 in May. 

The day after my approval, my husband began escalating his verbal abuse and vitriol towards me and eventually blocked me on everything claiming he wanted nothing to do with me over some very pathetic arguments we had been having. He then unblocked me and we tried to work things out as things between us were not going well. He kept dumping me and taking me back in a constant cycle over very minuscule problems and abusing me/threatening me over messages. It got so bad to the point where I just allowed him to dump me.

I then entered the USA to activate my greencard. I had hoped that in this time, he would calm down and we could work things out but his behaviour got worse. He asked for me back and I said no. 

He is now threatening to report me to immigration services and claims that I used him for a greencard. We were together for almost 4 years, I entered the marriage in good faith but ultimately could no longer stay as his behaviour started to make me concerned for my safety. I put up with a lot of abuse from him from day 1 because I loved him and believed he could change.

I am now worried because he emailed me telling me that he will report me to immigration and tell them that I left him shortly after I got approved. And that I have been trying to file for a divorce (which I have because I do not believe we can work things out).

How will I know once he has done this?

Will my green card be taken away from me? Will I be able to tell USCIS my side of what has happened? (I have an extensive file of evidence including: emails, whatsapp messages and voice recordings of his abuse). 

I have also applied for a re entry permit so that I can go back to the UK to take care of my ill mother but I ultimately want to move here and make the USA my permanent home. Will his false report affect my re entry application?

I apologise if this is confusing or lacks context. I just need some help.

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from IR1/CR1 Forum to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration benefits ~~

This is a classic case of a US citizen thinking he has any power in a situation like this. Please do not worry, he cannot affect your immigration status. This is a typical scare tactic and also sounds like a manipulative way to try to “get you back”. You are a lawful permanent resident and unless he is an immigration judge, he cannot take your LPR status away. Carry on and pay no attention to his antics.

I am only worried because the optics do not look good for me.

I entered the relationship in good faith and tried my best throughout, but we did break things off shortly after I received my green card and I do not want USCIS to take it away from me on this basis because I have solid evidence of the abuse I had to endure. I know for a fact that he will submit a report to them because he has been harassing me non stop about it via email.

I just want to know if they will allow me a chance to explain my side of the story along with the evidence I have that proves all of my claims.

Just now, oat12 said:

I do want to live here. I have friends here and developed a connection to this country through my constant visits to see my husband. I don't want him to have the ability to control whether or not I live here.

then keep all paper trail, documentation anything that u can think of thats related with ur legit and bonafide marriage.

better be safe than sorry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, oat12 said:

I do want to live here. I have friends here and developed a connection to this country through my constant visits to see my husband. I don't want him to have the ability to control whether or not I live here.

Do you have your 10 year green card in hand? If so, you have literally nothing to worry about. Relationships fall apart, and your husband backed up your petition with evidence of a bonafide marriage. He can't have it both ways. Consider your LPR status a nice consolation prize and block this guy from ever contacting you again.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

3 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

There are many threads I can point you to if needed.  Filing a fraud complaint is incredibly difficult, even for those who are legitimate victims of fraud. USCIS is well aware of 'bitter ex spouse syndrome'. They don't even pretend to entertain it. But lets say some how he comes up with an incredible story (and it has to be more than just my spouse left me, we're talking hard evidences of criminal behavior). They will investigate. Thoroughly.  A case would have to be presented to an immigration judge. The process with the court would take years. You would have numerous opportunities to defend yourself.  

He should be more scared of you actually. You are entitled to sue him based on the 864 he signed. He would be ordered to pay you apx 1k per month to keep you above the poverty guidelines perhaps indefinitely if you don't become a citizen. 

If you don't mind, could you point me to any thread where this has happened to someone? I just filed for a re entry permit and I don't his false claims affecting my application.

3 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Do you have your 10 year green card in hand? If so, you have literally nothing to worry about. Relationships fall apart, and your husband backed up your petition with evidence of a bonafide marriage. He can't have it both ways. Consider your LPR status a nice consolation prize and block this guy from ever contacting you again.

I have the i551 stamp in my passport. I changed the address of where the green card was being sent but I have not yet received the physical card yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
36 minutes ago, oat12 said:

I have the i551 stamp in my passport. I changed the address of where the green card was being sent but I have not yet received the physical card yet.

Where did you change that address? Online AR-11 or POE?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

Where did you change that address? Online AR-11 or POE?

I changed it both online and at POE. We were still having issues when I activated my green card so I changed my address at POE to the address I am staying at here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.