Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About Sukie

  • Rank
    Diamond Member
  • Member # 84989

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • City
    Hudson Valley
  • State
    New York

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Naturalization (approved)
  • Place benefits filed at
    Local Office
  • Local Office
    Albany NY
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Joint bank accounts are very good evidence, but they are NOT required. Many spouses do not combine their bank accounts for various (good) reasons. The OP has listed good evidence for replying to the RFE. Sukie in NY
  2. Your Advance Health Care Directive is an excellent document to include. Add a note to your cover letter explaining the health care policies - because they might not "get it" if you don't hold it up in their face. Even if you don't get a will done for your RFE, please do this as soon as you can. Many young people don't understand how important this document is - and when you have a child, it becomes even MORE critical. You might feel like you don't have any assets to protect, but the law (different in each state) can certainly end up doing things that you and your spouse DON'T want. I know an RFE is frustrating (we got a stupid one when we went through), but buckle down, send in the data, and then sit back and wait. Sukie in NY
  3. You have a child, right? Then go get wills done for both of you - and medical powers of attorney. Not only is this very good evidence for "estate/financial" arrangements, with a child, you need to have planned for the future should BOTH of you die at the same time. Name a guardian for your child(ren). Also - are you covered under the same health plan(s)? If so, send the yearly "Summary of Benefits" that shows your health plan(s) and the people covered. You do NOT have to have joint accounts (nor do you HAVE to have wills). Bottom line? You might be called for an interview. But I think with wills, and the evidence you are going to send, you should be ok. Draft a paragraph with your RFE response that gives a quick reason (not that it's their business, but they make it out to be) why you do not have joint checking accounts. Again - you will be OK in the end. Just give them EXACTLY what they ask for (and Wills/Medical Powers of Attorney is something that will go a long way in what they ask for), and keep your chin(s) up! Good luck! Sukie in NY
  4. Just so you know...if you own real property (a house/condo), your LPR spouse will NOT be able to take advantage of the Spousal exemption on the capital gains at the sale of your home. And you will still have to pay attention to how long she is out of the country each year should she need to travel. To each his/her own. Sukie in the Hudson Valley
  5. I think you will be ok. You are not alone, either. Our house is in MY name only, as I purchased it long before I met my spouse. The only "utility" that has her name on it is the cell phone bill. Only ONE of the cars has both of our names on the title, but none of them have her on the registration. But we are both on the car insurance and the house insurance. It will help to line out the info about the fact that she had no credit record, and therefore you financed the car in your name only in your cover letter. We outlined the house/utility issue in our cover letter, and we had NO problems. We did have Christmas cards, wedding invitations and thank you notes that had been addressed to us both...plus airline boarding passes and pictures of us with additional family in very familiar places such as the CN Tower in Toronto, Top of the Rock in Manhattan, etc. I threw in our library cards, our gym membership cards and our AAA membership cards for good measure. Oh, and wills and medical powers of attorney. Best of luck. I think you will be fine! Sukie in NY
  6. I would call them to verify your new address. Glad you are on the lease! Sukie in NY
  7. Hi LyRoMN! You can call USCIS to verify that your address has been changed. I would do that before you file your I-751. As far as the lease is concerned - that might be a little more problematic. You are trying to prove that you are co-mingling your lives and your finances - and with only your husband's name on the lease - that does not support co-mingling. In some states, if you are not on the lease, you are not "legally" able to inhabit the apartment. So you might want to get a note from your landlord staying that you are allowed to live there with your husband. I am not sure why you would have only one person on the lease - but the note will help your case. Sukie in NY
  8. Hi. 1. Print single-sided. 2/3. Print out the form when you are through and hand-letter anything that would not allow you to enter data properly. It's OK to have both printed and hand-lettered combinations. Good luck! Sukie in NY
  9. If you regularly get mail at your address, you need not put anything in. Since you live with jhis parents, you could always put their name, since they are the registered name at that address... <Ms. Beneficiary> C/O Mr. and Mrs. Husbands-Parents 123 Main Street AnyCity, USA 12345 Either is ok. If you don't get a lot of mail addressed to you at this address, then put the parents' names in the Care Of section. Good Luck! Sukie in NY
  10. You do not have a unique situation. There are MANY couples who need to live separately during the ROC period - mostly (but not limited to) for job opportunities and schooling. I think the answer to your first question also hinges on whether or not TN will be your ultimate destination. Most states say you have to get a new license within xx days of moving there - but if your spouse is on a 6-month contract to hire - it could fall through. Since you are not quite at the ROC process, then you might want to wait to change any addresses until after that 6-month period and a decision to move to TN permanently. That should not be a problem for TN - even if she is working there. She would say her permanent address is in AL until the 6-month period is over. She might want to carry a letter from her employer stating that she is on a 6-month contract in case the TN state troopers or local cops start questioning. All you have to do when you submit your ROC package is EXPLAIN why you lived apart for a certain time. Again, your situation is not unique. You merely add a paragraph to your cover letter explaining the reasons why you lived apart for a period of time. Keep records of your travel - such as a mileage log in your car showing your travel. Keep gas receipts and restaurant receipts showing you spent time together. Take pictures together with friends in places that are recognizable. If she's in Nashville, then take a picture in front of the Grand Ol' Opry. If Chattanooga, then go to the Chattanooga Choo-Choo. You get my drift.... You'll be fine! Sukie in NY (originally from AL)
  11. Hi there. I am also a part of a same-sex couple who has now completed the WHOLE immigration process. Honestly, you must approach this process as if you are no different than ANY OTHER COUPLE. You will gather data in the same manner as a straight couple. The one thing I would say could be helpful (but NOT required) is any evidence that your families-of-origin are supportive of you as a couple (if this is true). Do not hold yourself out as "different". By law, you are not to be treated any differently (either better or worse) than any other couple. You must believe this. If your relationship is true, then you need to project that confidence in all you do in the immigration process. Best of luck to you - believe in yourself and your relationship. That's what you need! Sukie in NY
  12. You carry both passports. I had to do this for about 4 years and I travelled extensively. The first time you use a new passport at an airport, it might be confusing for the ticket agent, and you need to update USCIS as to the new number as soon as you get a new passport. But having a new passport, with a valid stamp in the old passport is ok as long as you have both. Now...if your home country usually TAKES the old passport, you will have to ask them to "disable" the old passport (usually by cutting off the machine-readable line on the first page) and give it back to you. My spouse (Australian) had to do this. The Aussies cut about 1/2 inch off of the leading page - but it was OK with the US. Her visa foil was in the old passport. Sukie in NY
  13. Be prepared to tell the story of your relationship and get all the dates and places right. Make sure you can do that sitting together, and can give the same answer if you are asked separately. Practice asking each other personal questions such as: How did you meet? When did you first decide to be a couple? What are your living arrangements? If you have circumstances that are a little unusual (you live with family, you have lived apart for work or school, you have age or religion differences, etc.) then practice the answers with each other. Ask the same question several ways. The goal is for you both to have the same answers. Make sure you know about each others' families and friends. Make sure you both understand all the papers you bring with you. If one of you has issues speaking and comprehending English, take a translator with you. Bonafide couples will have no problems at the interview unless you are totally clueless about each other! The best approach is to be confident in your love for each other, and confident with your documentation. Best of luck - and I'm glad your journey is progressing! Sukie in NY
  14. Since the cats came as excess baggage, I presented their papers to the customs official as I left the baggage area. He looked at it and did not know what the heck to do, so he called his supervisor over. The supervisor took the paperwork and disappeared into some back room where he stayed for about 10 minutes. Then he came back, handed me the paperwork and waved us all through. Sukie in NY
  • Create New...