Vp1010

F2A long distance relationship

23 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi, 

I am a PR based in Austin, Texas. I recently got married to an Indian Citizen. We filed the I-130 and now we’re waiting. 

Until recently, I thought it would be easy to bring my husband to USA since I’ve seen many friends and family who have H1B visa bring their spouse in a very short time frame (few weeks to few months). I always thought it made sense that USCIS processes spouse based visas quickly - why would anyone keep a married couple apart!! 

I assumed Permanent Residents would have the same sort of timeline to bring their spouses to USA, or even quicker since PR > H1B. Boy was I wrong. I can’t believe I’m looking at a 2-3 year timeline before I can bring my husband to USA. 

Now, how am I supposed to navigate this situation? 
1. My husband does not have ANY USA visa to even VISIT me - and now that his I130 is being processed, there is no way he’s getting a visitor visa. 
2. I need to keep working/living in usa so as to not lose my green card.

What does USCIS expect me to do?! Stay in usa for 3 years and visit my husband once in a while until his green card comes through? That seems inhumane even for USCIS’s standards. And especially as a permanent resident I don’t expect to have to deal with these timelines. Am I missing something? Someone please help me understand what’s going on because the last thing I want is to be stuck in a long distance relationship for 3 years.

Edited by Vp1010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Btw, a B2 visitor visa is not completely out of the question.  If your spouse has strong ties to India such as a steady job they need to return to, or school, etc., it may be enough to overcome immigration intent.  As to the rest, this is what we do when we make the decision to connect with someone from outside the US.  Immigration takes a lot of patience, but thankfully there is a lot of technology out there to help overcome the issues related to a long-distant relationship.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Nicola and Jordan said:

We did long distance for 3 years and made it fine. Yes it’s extremely tough but you have to deal with it unfortunately. Mostly everyone here have been in the same situation 

Yep.  My wife and I did video calls twice a day for a year.  It helped. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yep.  My wife and I did video calls twice a day for a year.  It helped. 

I had to video everyday haha I’m needy clearly 😂

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

My husband and I have been long distance for almost our entire relationship. He is in Romania and I am in the US. We married after 2 years (in his country) and that was almost 3 years ago (in June). When Covid hit I lost my job and decided to move abroad to spend time with him and to know what it was like to really live with him since previously the most time I'd spent with him was the month I was there for our marriage. I lived with him in his country for 18 months before our savings got too low and I had to come back to the US to work and to file the I-130 for him.

Long distance sucks but everyone here has had to go through it at some point in their relationship/marriage. It's just the way things are. If you want to be able to spend time with your husband, you will probably have to either meet up together in a third country, or you go to his country to spend time with him.

Long distance is hard, and you will have to work to make sure the relationship succeeds. My husband and I spend hours each day on video chat. We leave the webcam open while we are both at home so we can see each other even if we're just sitting watching tv or reading a book or cooking dinner. When he goes to bed we close the video chat, and when he wakes up in the morning he calls me before going to work. We have a routine. 

You will find a way to adjust because that's what you have to do. Good luck! 

Petition Filed: 04/06/2022
NOA1: 04/06/2022
Notice of Active Review: 06/28/2022
NOA2: 04/03/2023
NVC Case Created: 04/06/2023
NVC Documentality Qualified: 08/09/2023
NVC Scheduled appointment at Bucharest Embassy for 10/17/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was on an L1 visa, met and married my husband but had to pack up my 2 kids and leave the US for 18 months to prevent visa overstay when our I-130 was pending. He used to visit me often and we spent a LOT of time on Facetime, even if we weren't talking, but just so we were present.  I'd be making dinner for the kids and I and going through our daily routine and he'd just be present on FT, hearing the noises, seeing the chaos and just a part of it.  Ideal that we had to leave considering we had a family home built together? No, not at all.  Kids were uprooted from their home, their school, their friends. Me, uprooted from my home, my work, my friends and my husband and I separated.  But, we figured it out and made it work.  

Your case is far from unique and if you're really meant to be together, you'll figure it out.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

What does USCIS expect me to do?! Stay in usa for 3 years and visit my husband once in a while until his green card comes through?

***you can always move to india to be together with ur husband. guess you have to prioritize. even USC have to wait in line, let alone GC holder

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I suggest you take some time off and visit your husband every quarter or so till he gets the spousal visa. you will just have to accept and wait in line like everyone else for a spousal visa. there is no way to expedite the process without a qualifying valid reason. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts both H4, F4 are non immigrant visas, so there is no comparison as the process and timelines can be very different.

8 hours ago, Vp1010 said:

Hi, 

I am a PR based in Austin, Texas. I recently got married to an Indian Citizen. We filed the I-130 and now we’re waiting. 

Until recently, I thought it would be easy to bring my husband to USA since I’ve seen many friends and family who have H1B visa bring their spouse in a very short time frame (few weeks to few months). I always thought it made sense that USCIS processes spouse based visas quickly - why would anyone keep a married couple apart!! 

I assumed Permanent Residents would have the same sort of timeline to bring their spouses to USA, or even quicker since PR > H1B. Boy was I wrong. I can’t believe I’m looking at a 2-3 year timeline before I can bring my husband to USA. 

Now, how am I supposed to navigate this situation? 
1. My husband does not have ANY USA visa to even VISIT me - and now that his I130 is being processed, there is no way he’s getting a visitor visa. 
2. I need to keep working/living in usa so as to not lose my green card.

What does USCIS expect me to do?! Stay in usa for 3 years and visit my husband once in a while until his green card comes through? That seems inhumane even for USCIS’s standards. And especially as a permanent resident I don’t expect to have to deal with these timelines. Am I missing something? Someone please help me understand what’s going on because the last thing I want is to be stuck in a long distance relationship for 3 years.

You clearly are missing having done ANY research whatsoever prior to marrying someone from overseas.

You sound so entitled, honestly.   Even for USCs, the wait is 2-3 years to bring over a spouse or fiancé.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.