19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Fiance just got here a week ago and we are trying to figure out what to do, We saw that we need to file an I-485 Adjustment of Status after we got married but my question is do we REALLY need to file I-765 and I-131? I was under the impression that once AOS is approved then he can actually work in the USA legally and can travel out of the USA once that AOS is approved? Am i correct? I understand that filing I-765 will make it quicker for him to work legally while waiting for the AOS result....

Thank You in Advance for any answers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you have to, no, but why would you not?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, JanRich said:

My Fiance just got here a week ago and we are trying to figure out what to do, We saw that we need to file an I-485 Adjustment of Status after we got married but my question is do we REALLY need to file I-765 and I-131? I was under the impression that once AOS is approved then he can actually work in the USA legally and can travel out of the USA once that AOS is approved? Am i correct? I understand that filing I-765 will make it quicker for him to work legally while waiting for the AOS result....

Thank You in Advance for any answers.

It is free to file those forms when concurrently filing for a green card.

And AOS is taking two years in some area, while the EAD/AP is taking 8-12.  Why would you not?  Does he really want to wait for more than a year to work?

Timeline

I was just thinking that it would be more cheaper if we wait for the AOS to be approve since it is all included in the AOS, but I am not sure how long will it take for the AOS to get approve.

6 minutes ago, JanRich said:

I was just thinking that it would be more cheaper if we wait for the AOS to be approve since it is all included in the AOS, but I am not sure how long will it take for the AOS to get approve.

Like I said, filing those other forms concurrently with the I-485 is free.

I most cases, they are approved long before the AOS.

Timeline

I was looking at the fees that we have to pay and i was just thinking that we could eliminate them if we just wait for AOS...but I guess if it would take 2 yrs for AOS to be approve then its better to apply already

AOS I485- $1225

I765 Application for Employment $410

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, JanRich said:

I was looking at the fees that we have to pay and i was just thinking that we could eliminate them if we just wait for AOS...but I guess if it would take 2 yrs for AOS to be approve then its better to apply already

AOS I485- $1225

I765 Application for Employment $410

File both the I-765 and I131.....they are free.  Some people have not filed them...then regretted it later..

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Please be patient with me 😀 I am trying to figure out things ...

So do I file for the I-765 and I-131 before the I-485 or file them all at the same time?

12 minutes ago, JanRich said:

So do I file for the I-765 and I-131 before the I-485 or file them all at the same time?

All at the same time in one package/envelope. Since they will all be separated, each needs its own set of supporting documents. So, for example, you need to include a copy of your K1 visa and stamp, you need to print 3 of them for each.

Don’t forget I-864 affidavit of support + supporting documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, JanRich said:

We are here to help.  File them at the same time.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
30 minutes ago, JanRich said:

Follow this  guide (which  I personally have difficulty finding every time I want it).  Do not deviate from it without asking on visajourney:

3 hours ago, JanRich said:

Do yourself a favor and file all three (four including the I-864) forms even if you think you do not need them. Life changes so fast it'll make your head swim and you'll wish you would have filed the forms from the jump, besides it's the same fee if you file all three or just the I-485.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

1 hour ago, JanRich said:

File them from jump street ALL OF THEM!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.