abstractfallacy

Children of K-1 Visa applicant

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancé has two children (11 & 8) with different fathers. She says they are not on the birth certificates and rarely ever see the girls. The girls have her surname. She says on the birth certificates she listed fake names for the fathers. I am under the impression that the fathers will have to give permission for the girls to come to the United States but she says that is not so. I am also concerned about the fake names on the birth certificates. It has been five months since our K-1 a visa application was received by USCIS so I expect a response soon and I want to be prepared for what is next. Thanks for responding. 

I am not sure how the "fake" fathers will be able to give permission for them to leave their country.  My advice is to have her start by correcting the birth certificates.  That should have been done before you filed the the I-129F.  Did you provide copies of the birth certificates with the I-129F?  If so you have also provided false information,

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

The K-1 Visa did not ask for information about the fathers. It asks if the children live with the beneficiary to which I replied yes. I submitted everything required by the instructions and birth certificates were not listed as a requirement and I only recently found out this information about the fake fathers and it has me very concerned. Last year she told me she didn't list the fathers, so I assumed the father section was left blank because my own daughter here did this on her child's birth certificate. My granddaughter has no father listed on hers, so I assumed this was a possibility. Then a few days ago when I tell her to collect certain information, including birth certificates, in preparation for the interview, she tells me she listed fake names and assures me that she has researched this herself and it will not affect anything because "she has full custody of her children." I told her I am skeptical of that because I'm afraid immigration will not accept that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did a Court give her full custody and allow the fake names to continue?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Adventine said:

You'll need to ask yourself what else else she might not be honest about.

I would be asking her if she ever applied for a visa before to the USA. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Not a good relationship to be in with fake after fake excuses to begin with. You should also look into the possibility that those father names on BC could in fact be real and existing and she could still be in relationship with one even if not married. A future divorce with you seems very likely.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

You should check the laws in her country to see how it is even possible to have a fake name on a BC. Didn't the father have to sign something? My wife says that for example in the Philippines they need to provide the father's BC as well to put his name on the child's BC.

I would recommend against proceeding unless she gets correct BCs, because all it takes is one question during the embassy interview or subsequent interviews after she arrives in the US for everything you have done up to that point to unravel. The whole immigration process is based on the discretion of the official making a decision at each step. Even if you trust your fiance, government officials will not.

Yes, I think it's better to talk to a lawyer in her country. This is a country specific issue. They need to figure out what to do and she should get some paper from a court or from the fathers (done at a lawyer or something official) that she has sole custody.

One potential problem is that on forms you have to list the name of father and mother. So she couldn't possibly list the father name since it's false. But by doing that, it would be different from the birth certificate.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What country is she from?

Correct the birth certificates.  NEVER EVER GIVE THE US GOVERNMENT legal documents with known lies.  This will bite you in the ###.

In her country, paperwork and lying to the government may be common, but there are severe consequences in lying to the US government when it involves an immigration benefit.  You should clue her in on this part of American life.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Those children will never be permitted to enter the US with immigrant intent unless your fiancé has either court documents stating she has full custody or a letter notarized by a lawyer from the children's fathers stating he understands and approves the child leaving the home country permanently to immigrate to the United States.  Child custody and parental rights are not taken lightly by USCIS.  With all of this "fakeness", I wouldn't be at all surprised if USCIS demanded both the court order AND the notarized permission letter.  

Honestly, I'd be rethinking this whole scenario for the reasons others have listed above.  That's a whole lot of dishonesty from your partner.  What else is she telling partial truths about and what implications are those partial truths going to have on your future?  Are you her and her daughters' meal ticket to the US?  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I doubt those names are fake. Why did she lie in first place about having no baby daddies on bc? What can she gain from that? And does she mean fake as in she made-up names or she let some friends sign or what? I don’t think you can just put somebody ‘fake’ on birth certificate without their consent and signature. Unless maybe they were married at time.. Talk to her and try to explain her that she needs to be honest. This complicates things, as explained on comment above mine ^.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 hours ago, mam521 said:

Those children will never be permitted to enter the US with immigrant intent unless your fiancé has either court documents stating she has full custody or a letter notarized by a lawyer from the children's fathers stating he understands and approves the child leaving the home country permanently to immigrate to the United States.  Child custody and parental rights are not taken lightly by USCIS.  With all of this "fakeness", I wouldn't be at all surprised if USCIS demanded both the court order AND the notarized permission letter.  

Honestly, I'd be rethinking this whole scenario for the reasons others have listed above.  That's a whole lot of dishonesty from your partner.  What else is she telling partial truths about and what implications are those partial truths going to have on your future?  Are you her and her daughters' meal ticket to the US?  

While I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said my K2’s are here and we didn’t have any documents from their mother giving permission. Not even a hand written letter. My husband has always had full physical custody of the children but nothing ever legalized. They weren’t given a DNA test or anything. They just asked if their mother is aware they were moving and that was it. We are going to get something official just in case it comes up later though. I think it’s just at the discretion off the officer. 

Timeline

My browser is garbage apparently and won't let me respond to individual posts but to answer most of these responses, I don't believe she ever lied to me. She told me from the beginning that the children's fathers were not on the birth certificates. The girls (11 and 7) have two different fathers also. It was just recently that she mentioned she put fake fictional names on them just to fill the spaces. I told her I believe this will cause a HUGE problem, but she explained that they do this all the time in Ukraine (She's Ukranian btw) and everyone there understands this. I have known her for a year and a half and I have spent 40 days with her this year on four trips to Europe. I have no reason to suspect that she is being disingenuous with me but I'm sure smarter men have been fooled by women. 

Aaron2020- I told her the US isn't like Ukraine and they will not accept this. 

Mike E- She applied for a tourist visa 15 years ago and was denied because of her low English ability at the time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.