nachnam

Case denial- please help!

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am trying to help a friend find answers and guidance on the below situation. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a way to appeal this as she was going through unforeseen circumstances? 

I  am in a difficult situation right now and I would really need someone's help . I will explain in short what's going on -:
 I was admitted to Texas Center for Infectious Disease due to a life threatening case of tuberculosis and was quarantined and treated  in the  hospital for 2.5 years due to this. While in hospital,  I graduated from University of Houston.

I intially came to the US on international student visa. In  February 2021,  I applied for my work permit. I sent my application to Immigration Office (USCIS). On May 20th 2021, they told me that my application was denied because I missed a deadline of application in December but I was in the hospital during this time still undergoing treatment.  I was released from hospital after the deadline passed. 
So I applied again in May 2021. This time I submitted documents to them, doctor's letter from the hospital, school advisor's letter and my cover letter explaining my situation that why I got delayed in application process - because I was sick and that hospital also had COVID restrictions. But on August 27th 2021 I found out that they denied my application again. The reason being same - I missed the deadline in December. It looks like from the denial notice that they did not consider or look at my supported documents. 

Now I cannot apply again. I have to either enroll in a new degree program all over again and then apply for work permit all over again. Or I have 60 days to leave the country. Those 60 days started already from August 27th. Another study program will take 4-5 years and about $100000. All of this because I missed the deadline. But I was totally out of control of my situation which caused the delay. It was not my fault. 

Before I got sick, I already had a job offer with an Oil and Gas company in Houston. But because I got sick and couldn't graduate in time, I had to let go of that job offer. Now without the work permit a company cannot hire me. 

My only hope of getting the permit is if a Senator or Congressman can ask USCIS to approve my permit based on my documented genuine medical ground - if they can grant me grace. 

Since I am in Texas, I think talking to Texas Senator and Congressman will help. 

A couple of my church friends are trying to get in touch with their offices but haven't heard anything helpful yet. 
This afternoon we heard back from Senator John Cornyn's office that since the decision is already made, and my application is not in processing, so they cannot make an inquiry on my case with USCIS. 

But my decision is based not on fair grounds.  Even when I was in hospital, I graduated with 3.9 gpa. I am capable of being an asset to a company in the US, if given a job. 

But I don't know what to do. I have not dealt with or heard of Congressman/Senator here so I do not know how that works. 

So if anyone can help me in this then please let me know. 

I have all the documents to support. 

Thank you. 

K1 Journey

11/05/2016 - Sent I-129F to Lewisville Lockbox via FedEx

12/05/2016 - I-129F received at Lewisville Lockbox

17/05/2016 - Received NOA1 Text/Email Notification - Routed to California Service Center 

25/05/2016 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy - notice date of 16/05/2016

09/06/2016 - Up to date with vaccinations

29/07/2016 - Received NOA2 text/email notification! (74 days) 

05/08/2016 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy (I-797)

09/08/2016 - Sent ACRO Police Certificate Application

11/08/2016- NVC Received packet!

11/08/2016 - NVC Case number assigned on the same day as NVC received! yayyy 

AOS Journey
04/12/2016 - POE Dallas
05/12/2016-  Marriage
08/02/2017-  sent AOS packet to Chicago via FedEx
20/02/2017-  Received NOA1 Hardcopies for AOS/AP/EAD - notice dates of 13/02/2017
25/04/2017EAD case status changed to " Card being produced"
27/04/2017 - AP and EAD case status changed to "Case Approved"
28/04/2017 - EAD case status changed to " Card was mailed to me"
28/04/2017 -Received NOA2 Hardcopy for EAD/AP

5 minutes ago, nachnam said:

Hello everyone! I am trying to help a friend find answers and guidance on the below situation. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a way to appeal this as she was going through unforeseen circumstances? 

I  am in a difficult situation right now and I would really need someone's help . I will explain in short what's going on -:
 I was admitted to Texas Center for Infectious Disease due to a life threatening case of tuberculosis and was quarantined and treated  in the  hospital for 2.5 years due to this. While in hospital,  I graduated from University of Houston.

I intially came to the US on international student visa. In  February 2021,  I applied for my work permit. I sent my application to Immigration Office (USCIS). On May 20th 2021, they told me that my application was denied because I missed a deadline of application in December but I was in the hospital during this time still undergoing treatment.  I was released from hospital after the deadline passed. 
So I applied again in May 2021. This time I submitted documents to them, doctor's letter from the hospital, school advisor's letter and my cover letter explaining my situation that why I got delayed in application process - because I was sick and that hospital also had COVID restrictions. But on August 27th 2021 I found out that they denied my application again. The reason being same - I missed the deadline in December. It looks like from the denial notice that they did not consider or look at my supported documents. 

Now I cannot apply again. I have to either enroll in a new degree program all over again and then apply for work permit all over again. Or I have 60 days to leave the country. Those 60 days started already from August 27th. Another study program will take 4-5 years and about $100000. All of this because I missed the deadline. But I was totally out of control of my situation which caused the delay. It was not my fault. 

Before I got sick, I already had a job offer with an Oil and Gas company in Houston. But because I got sick and couldn't graduate in time, I had to let go of that job offer. Now without the work permit a company cannot hire me. 

My only hope of getting the permit is if a Senator or Congressman can ask USCIS to approve my permit based on my documented genuine medical ground - if they can grant me grace. 

Since I am in Texas, I think talking to Texas Senator and Congressman will help. 

A couple of my church friends are trying to get in touch with their offices but haven't heard anything helpful yet. 
This afternoon we heard back from Senator John Cornyn's office that since the decision is already made, and my application is not in processing, so they cannot make an inquiry on my case with USCIS. 

But my decision is based not on fair grounds.  Even when I was in hospital, I graduated with 3.9 gpa. I am capable of being an asset to a company in the US, if given a job. 

But I don't know what to do. I have not dealt with or heard of Congressman/Senator here so I do not know how that works. 

So if anyone can help me in this then please let me know. 

I have all the documents to support. 

Thank you. 

I think you may need a lawyer for this. Good luck.

She might be able to file a motion to reopen or reconsider -form I-290B-, but an immigration lawyer is needed.

Not sure how likely it is for the motion to be successful as they could argue that if she graduated while at the hospital, she could have filed on time.

3 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Not sure how likely it is for the motion to be successful as they could argue that if she graduated while at the hospital, she could have filed on time.

My thought too. 

Since she’s that successful student shouldn’t have problems going back home, getting an employer to sponsor her on a work visa and returning after consular processing. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Was it OPT?

I’m assuming this?

it’s also all very dramatic to say she’d need to spend another $100k on a whole new degree to apply again. In fact I’d say it’s a totally illogical response for the goal of a short term post graduation work permit. She can go back home and a would be employer can apply for a work visa for her. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

In my estimation your chances are slim and none and slim is unmotivated. You’re not a citizen or permanent resident or applying for such or an immigrant petition. You will be very low on the totem pole of any senator or congressman.

Prepare to return to your home country to practice with the degree you have earned. Good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I feel sorry for her but i don't think there is any path for any nonimmigrant status now in the US. 

If they didn't approve her OPT application because she didn't file by Dec, that means Dec was the end of her 60 day grace period after graduation(after i-20 program finish date). That would mean she has remained out of status since Jan. Her OPT applications didn't give her authorized stay while pending since she applied for them after being out of status. Any non immigrant applications or petitions with uscis will be fruitless.

Any medical conditions affecting F1 status are generally handled by ISO of the school. If classes can't be taken due to hospitalization, ISO will update SEVIS accordingly and uscis will provide a medical break for up to given months so F1 status isn't violated.

Here it seems all was done smoothly even while hospitalized till graduation. For uscis, the F1 student graduated, didn't apply for OPT on time (up to 90 days before graduation and up to 60 days after graduation). It should have been well communicated with ISO on time regarding her intent to do OPT, they would have guided her to apply for it on time. Now it's all over.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

She also needs to clarify if she is overstay and by how much. This will possibly affect whether she is in fact able to get another non immigrant visa, whether a work visa or her crazy plan to do another degree all over again. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry, your friend has no path to OPT.  

She had 90 days before graduation and 60 days after graduation to apply for OPT.  She failed to apply during those 5 months.  During this time, she was able to take classes and finals to graduate.  Didn't seem like her medical condition prevented her from finishing school.

There is no medical excuse for failing to meet a deadline that she had 5 months to complete.

Your friend is filing frivolous OPT applications.  Her 60 days grace period happened after she graduated.  It doesn't get stretched with each failed OPT application. 

This is just bizarre 

Now I cannot apply again. I have to either enroll in a new degree program all over again and then apply for work permit all over again.

It seems like studying is a path to work visa. This is VERY wrong. 

Also, if she actually did have a job offer, they could have done a H1B visa for her and they could potentially do one for her in the future (not now, because the quota was filled for 2021). 

Also, it is relatively easy to postpone graduation if someone is sick. You just get a leave for health reasons. And I haven't heard of anyone having to be quarantined for 2.5 YEARS for TB. Usually the period of quarantine is like 2 weeks or a couple of months at most. Not 2.5 YEARS. She could have requested that some classes were Incomplete (per health reasons) and postpone her graduation. Again, I see no possibility of exception because this was just poor planning from her part.

Also, it is mandatory to get tested for TB if you are a foreign student, so I don't understand how they got TB.

I recommend that she leave, because if she get she get a ban for overstaying, she is going to be in real trouble.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.