afternoontea

Advice please. i-130 and i-485 denied, will be filing motion to reopen

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hello,

I really need some advise on my case. Please no comments on lawyers i'm fully aware that a option.

So, I've applied for an adjustment of status and my issue start after my interview was completed. Me and my wife both got one question wrong during the interview which was what was her previous address before this current one. We have been living in the same house for 2years and have since forgotten our previous address. 

That interview was on Feb 11. My EAD/AP card was about to expire so i applied for a renewal March 16. I received no updates from uscis. My case was also not updated on the website. On April 6, I called USCIS and was told my i485 is waiting to be reviewed. On May 25, I contacted uscis about the EAD/AP and i was told to send an email to lockbox support. and my AOS is still pending.  JULY 29, i finally get a response saying a notice was sent to me. I never received it.

So i Decide to call and talk to  tier 2 officer.

I was sent a NOID on February 19. I didnt receieve this. and because i did not respond to the NOID both the i130 and i485 was denied. the denial letter was issued May 26. see image.

After talking to USCIS officer they advised my to file i230b before August 26. They also was unable to email the NOID because the deadline has already passed... 

My question is

1) how do i effectively submit a i230b?

2) what documents should i provide?

3) I never saw the denial letter, so do i address the question we answered incorrectly in the interview?

4) what other evidence do i submit to show bonfide relationship?

5) what do i include in the brief?

6) Do i file two motions to reopen? one for i130 and one for i485 and pay two fees?

And any other advice would be appreciated. I'm soo nervous and anxious.  

Untitled design.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
54 minutes ago, afternoontea said:

My question is

3) I never saw the denial letter, so do i address the question we answered incorrectly in the interview?

6) Do i file two motions to reopen? one for i130 and one for i485 and pay two fees?

Here's my advice:

1. don't bother with the i-230b unless you are absolutely certain that USCIS made an error, because the appeal process takes a very long time with no guarantee of success.  What documents did you submit with the AOS package to show bona fide marriage relationship?  Without this information it is difficult to give you good advice.

2.  if you decide that your initial AOS package was strong with lots of supporting evidence and you are filing the i-230b appeal, include documentation that shows it was an error on the part of USCIS.  It sounds from your post that they denied the AOS based on the evidence submitted and the interview.  Whether you got the denial letter or not would not change their decision.  The question you mentioned, and the different answers given about a previous address, does not seem enough on its own to be the reason for the denial.  What other questions were asked?  Were you together for the interview?  How long was the interview?  This information could give us some ideas about what may have led to the denial.

3.  try to get a copy of the denial letter so that you can know better on what basis they made their decision, sometimes they spell it out in the letter, sometimes they don't.  You can submit a FOIA request to try to get the denial letter but that could take a long time, so try to call USCIS and ask them to re-send it.

4.  we can't help you with this question unless you tell us clearly what evidence you sent with the AOS package.  So please share what documents you sent to prove that your marriage relationship is bona fide--joint bank account statements, joint credit card accounts, IRS tax transcripts showing that you filed as married, joint lease/mortgage/deed, will, living will, power of attorney, shared health insurance documents, etc.  Were there any red flags in your relationship, circumstances, past visa denials, inconsistencies in the information you provided, criminal record, etc., that you need to overcome?  If there are significant complicating factors then an experienced immigration attorney should be consulted.

5.  how is this question different from #2?

6.  I recommend skipping the i-230b based on what you've said so far and just file a new AOS package.  make sure your evidence of bona fide marriage is stronger, so do more research on what others have included.

Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Whether it's just that one question or multiple, it clearly says what you two said doesn't align with what was submitted. Until you can prove uscis was wrong in saying so, appeal is fruitless.

The best is to apply fresh petition again taking care of any issues from the interview.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Refile as you do not want to be "out of status"

appeals court is seriously backed up

The total number of backlogged immigration cases is now 1,337,372, the most ever. “The number of cases are climbing every single month with no end in site,” Kocher said. The new data out this week is compiled by TRAC, which tracks via public information requests all U.S. immigration court cases.Jun 15, 2021

https://trac.syr.edu/phptools/immigration/court_backlog/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I also assume that you need to refile.

And that there are more issues than have been mentioned, May well not be a DIY case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Put me in the camp that says "Refile".  There must be more to this story.  This might be an attorney guided case. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

i dont think they denied just because of one mistake on the past address. i lived in the states for less than 5 years and have been moving more than 5 times. i cant remember my old addresses. best way to talk with lawyer, i know that you already know that. just dont want to take the chance to re-file and got denied again and take more years to get the greencard. just my 2 cents 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, afternoontea said:

Hello,

I really need some advise on my case. Please no comments on lawyers i'm fully aware that a option.

Get a lawyer 🤣😁🤣. It’s against the TOS to muzzle contributors from responding to your post.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

5 hours ago, afternoontea said:

Hello,

So, I've applied for an adjustment of status and my issue start after my interview was completed. Me and my wife both got one question wrong during the interview which was what was her previous address before this current one. We have been living in the same house for 2years and have since forgotten our previous address. 

That interview was on Feb 11. My EAD/AP card was about to expire so i applied for a renewal March 16. I received no updates from uscis. My case was also not updated on the website. On April 6, I called USCIS and was told my i485 is waiting to be reviewed. On May 25, I contacted uscis about the EAD/AP and i was told to send an email to lockbox support. and my AOS is still pending.  JULY 29, i finally get a response saying a notice was sent to me. I never received it.

So i Decide to call and talk to  tier 2 officer.

I was sent a NOID on February 19. I didnt receieve this. and because i did not respond to the NOID both the i130 and i485 was denied. the denial letter was issued May 26. see image.

After talking to USCIS officer they advised my to file i230b before August 26. They also was unable to email the NOID because the deadline has already passed... 

My question is

Untitled design.png

You got a NOID because of answering a question about a previous address incorrectly?  That makes NO sense.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, afternoontea said:

I agree with everyone else an appeal is futile. On the NOID letter it clearly states "However, the testimony provided an the evidence in the record did not establish the claimed relationship".

1. So what evidence did you have in your AOS package seems you didn't frontload.
2. What Visa were you adjusting from?

3. How long have you been married?
4. How ling have you been in US?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, afternoontea said:

That my isssue. I’m unclear on my I got a Noid. I’ve never seen the notice and uscis will not send it to me 

If you didn't receive it then what is this you are showing us in the image? I am confused now.

See the problem with an appeal   is proving you didn't receive a mailing. All they will do verify the address if it's yours how do you prove you did or didn't receive. That's why you need to refile and this time get your petition package together.

I mean we asked you but what evidence of a comingling marriage did you provide,?

1. Bills together
2. Bank accounts jointly
3. Joint Tax filing
4. Lease/Mortgage/Deeds  both names added
5. Life Insurance
6. Car Insurace
7. Wills
8. Trips together

you have the best evidence living together so you both should have a boatload since you said you been in current place together over 2 years so that's at least 2 years together. So did you have evidence from the beginning of relationship to show this evolution of a marriage?

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Okboy said:

OP said he doesn’t want to hear about a lawyer.

It's against Visajourney TOS Rules to tell a member what they can and can not mention.

ROC I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.