19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

I wasn't sure which preset title to select so I selected this one. I'm in the process of filing for divorce. My husband and I have been married 2 years since october. He's only been in the usa since Feb 2020 so 9 months. Do I need to report the divorce to uscis? Can and how do I request to remove my sponsorship? Will he be deported?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from Off Topic~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

You don’t need to do anything. He has a green card so he can stay here, if he wishes. He won’t be deported for getting divorced. Your sponsorship doesn’t end with divorce. It will only end if he dies, leaves the country for good, becomes a USC or can be credited with 40 quarters of work. Of those, the one that is likely to happen first is that he becomes a USC. That can happen in around 5 years from now. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Wow so even if a spousr is physically abusive he/she get to keep their 2 year green card and stay in anerica! That's crazy and unfortunate 😢 but thanks for your reply.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, DeeandFelix said:

Wow so even if a spousr is physically abusive he/she get to keep their 2 year green card and stay in anerica! That's crazy and unfortunate 😢 but thanks for your reply.

If he's physically abusive, you have to report him to the police and they will deal with him. He can lose the GC because of it, but that's not up to you.

Edited by Ayrton

11 hours ago, DeeandFelix said:

Hello,

I wasn't sure which preset title to select so I selected this one. I'm in the process of filing for divorce. My husband and I have been married 2 years since october. He's only been in the usa since Feb 2020 so 9 months. Do I need to report the divorce to uscis? Can and how do I request to remove my sponsorship? Will he be deported?

35 minutes ago, DeeandFelix said:

Not only does he get to stay and keep his green card. But you are also still on the hook for him with the affidavit of support. Divorce does not absolve you from the affidavit. This is something many people don't realize until it is too late.

See on page 7 of the affidavit... https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864-pc.pdf

image.thumb.png.a889ad40b2b1dc87a7f969849b564de0.png

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, DeeandFelix said:

A human being is not a sack of potatoes. A human being who has left their country and family and career and relocated to a different country for “love” should not just be cast out (into the outer darkness where there’s weeping and gnashing of teeth) just because of divorce, or other minor transgressions of the law.

That would be unjust. For serious crimes, sure.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline

So beating a woman is ok? I think not. Getting into the usa is a privilege that should be honored and respected. The laws should be changed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 minutes ago, DeeandFelix said:

So beating a woman is ok? I think not. Getting into the usa is a privilege that should be honored and respected. The laws should be changed.

I empathize with you.

However, you need to cut your loses and move on. You will be more happy afterwards than spending tremendous effort in trying to get him deported. It is not as if USCIS is just gonna pick your call, locate him and put him in the next plane to Lagos..

Try and meet someone new and be cautious next time. Once bitten, twice shy is my motto.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Timona said:

I empathize with you.

However, you need to cut your loses and move on. You will be more happy afterwards than spending tremendous effort in trying to get him deported. It is not as if USCIS is just gonna pick your call, locate him and put him in the next plane to Lagos..

Try and meet someone new and be cautious next time. Once bitten, twice shy is my motto.

I agree thanks. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, DeeandFelix said:

This is never OK in any shape or form and I am very sorry it has happened. 

Did you call the police? This is their job and yes he can be detained removed, but only with evidence and an IJ. If you didn't call it is not too late to report the abuse, if you went to the doctors/ER get your records to take with you and if needed get a restraining order in place if you still fear him. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

This is never OK in any shape or form and I am very sorry it has happened. 

Did you call the police? This is their job and yes he can be detained removed, but only with evidence and an IJ. If you didn't call it is not too late to report the abuse, if you went to the doctors/ER get your records to take with you and if needed get a restraining order in place if you still fear him. 

Exactly.  OP, this is not an immigration issue, but a criminal/domestic violence one.  Report and document what occurred, and protect yourself going forward.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Be sure of what you sign when you sign it.

Sorry for your situation, but it's too late to do anything now.

Your only hope is if the green card renewal gets denied.

Likely there will be delays and he can extend it until the actual renewal process happens.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Report to USCIS if you have a police report. This can surely stop him from becoming a citizens and his Removal of Conditions maybe.

They don't play with DV cases.
All you can do is report him and move on. Really sorry for all you are going through. You have your kids to think of so please be safe.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 11/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ray.Bonaquist said:

A human being is not a sack of potatoes. A human being who has left their country and family and career and relocated to a different country for “love” should not just be cast out (into the outer darkness where there’s weeping and gnashing of teeth) just because of divorce, or other minor transgressions of the law.

Everyone in Nigeria wants out of the country if the opportunity presents itself.  Love is just the easiest way to get out. Petitioner falls in love and pays for everything and the beneficiary get a free ride whether its for love or not

Edited by kingdomcome84

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.