Needing advice

Actually need to remove my abusive foreign spouse

29 posts in this topic

Hi, I am going to try to make a long story short. In 2014 I brought my husband here on a k-1 visa. We did everything by the book and I thought life was going to be perfect. I know many people who have had amazing lives with their foreign spouses so I don’t want to scare anyone from this. After his arrival things seemed ok for a while we got his green card and he refuses to work and I honestly can’t even teach him to drive because he just does not get it and he nearly wrecked the car on multiple occasions . Now he can’t even pass the test to get a drivers permit again.

Once he got his permanent residency he completely changed. I made him get a job with me and he intentionally got fired and threatened to shoot the place up. He has pushed all of my kids out of my house. Three are adults but they refuse to see me when he is around. The youngest just avoids him when she is around him. He got mad because I allowed my youngest to watch a TV show and picked up a steak knife and told me he should kill me right now. My jaw dropped to the floor. If you love someone you don’t do that.

I know that I can just divorce him but the Affidavit of Support locks me into supporting him and since he has worked 9 months of the 7 years I would be stuck doing just that. I am nit rich. I make enough to support my family but not enough to support him as he lives separately. He has had his passport expired fir 4 years now and we are finally getting it renewed because I am pushing. He keeps backing out every time we book a flight to “visit” his family in his own country because he know I am going to aak him nit to come back.

During an argument the other day i hit record on my phone and laid it face down so he didn’t know and have audio of his saying that what he did when he threatened to kill me was perfectly normal and acceptable when you’re mad. It isn’t! If you truly love someone you just don’t do that. People I worked with told me that they contacted immigration when he said he would shoot the place up if he had a gun. Nothing ever came of it. I looked into it for his threat to me but it said that I had to give my name and if they question him they can tell him who made the contacts. Anonymous reports aren’t guaranteed to be looked into. I can’t trust him enough to make such a report in case they don’t act on it and remove him so I am trying to just get him to go see family.

Does anyone know if it is possible to serve him while he is in another country and do you think I can use that audio to block him from returning? Any tips on how to solve this. I just want my life back. 

Why hasn't he gotten US citizenship yet? That frees you of the affidavit of support. And he doesn't need you to become a citizen, gets it on basis of being a 5-yr LPR. 

Divorce and move on. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 hour ago, Needing advice said:

Hi, I am going to try to make a long story short. In 2014 I brought my husband here on a k-1 visa. We did everything by the book and I thought life was going to be perfect. I know many people who have had amazing lives with their foreign spouses so I don’t want to scare anyone from this. After his arrival things seemed ok for a while we got his green card and he refuses to work and I honestly can’t even teach him to drive because he just does not get it and he nearly wrecked the car on multiple occasions . Now he can’t even pass the test to get a drivers permit again. Once he got his permanent residency he completely changed. I made him get a job with me and he intentionally got fired and threatened to shoot the place up. He has pushed all of my kids out of my house. Three are adults but they refuse to see me when he is around. The youngest just avoids him when she is around him. He got mad because I allowed my youngest to watch a TV show and picked up a steak knife and told me he should kill me right now. My jaw dropped to the floor. If you love someone you don’t do that. I know that I can just divorce him but the Affidavit of Support locks me into supporting him and since he has worked 9 months of the 7 years I would be stuck doing just that. I am nit rich. I make enough to support my family but not enough to support him as he lives separately. He has had his passport expired fir 4 years now and we are finally getting it renewed because I am pushing. He keeps backing out every time we book a flight to “visit” his family in his own country because he know I am going to aak him nit to come back. During an argument the other day i hit record on my phone and laid it face down so he didn’t know and have audio of his saying that what he did when he threatened to kill me was perfectly normal and acceptable when you’re mad. It isn’t! If you truly love someone you just don’t do that. People I worked with told me that they contacted immigration when he said he would shoot the place up if he had a gun. Nothing ever came of it. I looked into it for his threat to me but it said that I had to give my name and if they question him they can tell him who made the contacts. Anonymous reports aren’t guaranteed to be looked into. I can’t trust him enough to make such a report in case they don’t act on it and remove him so I am trying to just get him to go see family. Does anyone know if it is possible to serve him while he is in another country and do you think I can use that audio to block him from returning? Any tips on how to solve this. I just want my life back. 

Have you tried calling his mom ? maybe the old lady can put some sense 

duh

Thanks! I am actually in Michigan. He worked from July 2018 to May 2019. I am confused as I thought he has to work his own quarters. Yes, I have worked full time since the day he arrived which will be 7 years in January. My kids all support me in this and definitely agree that he needs to go. A time machine would suit me best because I would have never brought him here but obviously that isn’t possible. I will look into your advice. Honestly, his passport should be here in the next few days and I hope that we can get him a one way ticket but either way I will fo what it takes to have him removed from my home. I was unaware that they couldn’t force me to support him right away. Thanks so much for that info! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

make a police report and get him removed

You don't want to scare us?  think of yourself and your kids gf

a lazy man will never change

a dangerous man (or woman)  is just that -dangerous

pulling out a knife and threatening is as follows:

Pointing a knife at someone is assault with a deadly weapon, unless the person has said or demonstrated that they intend to harm you. Go into the nearest open establishment and call the police.

send the man to prison and let the state support him

with a felony,  he will not be able to get citizenship

and please read my private message as this has more than serious to another woman

Filed: Timeline
10 minutes ago, Needing advice said:

Thanks! I am actually in Michigan. He worked from July 2018 to May 2019. I am confused as I thought he has to work his own quarters. Yes, I have worked full time since the day he arrived which will be 7 years in January. My kids all support me in this and definitely agree that he needs to go. A time machine would suit me best because I would have never brought him here but obviously that isn’t possible. I will look into your advice. Honestly, his passport should be here in the next few days and I hope that we can get him a one way ticket but either way I will fo what it takes to have him removed from my home. I was unaware that they couldn’t force me to support him right away. Thanks so much for that info! 

For the 864 to end he either needs to give up his LPR status, become a citizen, either of you die, OR he can be credited with 40q. If you need official links I can dig some up but I promise you I am giving you accurate information here. For SS you can only earn credits (on your account/under your name) by working. But you can be credited with credits your spouse earned during the marriage. I am assuming since he was K that you married quickly after he arrived so most likely it is 7 yrs of credits you earned that he could claim. Again check your SS records for the exact numbers. 

The 864 requires you to be able to be credited with 40q for it to end. They dont care if you earned them or your spouse did. All they care about is you being able to show you can claim 40. To show this you show your earning statement and your spouses earning statement. As I described above you add the appropriate numbers together. So you really need to check both of your earning records. It seems very possible he has 8 credits since his limited employment did span 2 years but I can not say for sure. You earn 1 credit for every 1410 earned with a max of 4 (5640) per calendar year. You can probably do the math and see how many credits he has but you really need the SS statement to be able to establish the 864 is over. If you can not get his SS records right now you will want to ask for them in the divorce. The 864 system is poorly structured. There is no current database nor is there any notification system that you met the requirements and its no longer in effect. So what happens is either you are sued in civil court and would have to show your SS records establishing its no longer in effect OR the government sends you a bill and you then have to show them SS records that its no longer in effect. Any benefits taken while it was in effect will have to be repaid. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So sad that you're going through this terrible situation.  Get him on a flight to his home country if you want to, and contact a good divorce attorney for a restraining order and start the divorce process.  Be safe, file a police report on the domestic violence incidents, and maybe even move and do not let him know where you are.  Cut all communication with this guy and get a divorce through an attorney and move on with your life in a positive way, as hard as that will be, you can do it.  Rely on good friends or family for moral support.  Be strong, you can do this!  His immigration journey is entirely his own, so no need to worry about it.  Fate will catch up with him eventually.  Good luck and try to stay positive.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

I encourage you to make sure that right now, your immediate priority is you and your safety. Please reach out to the police or if you’re uncomfortable with that, find a local DV victim advocacy group.

You said you have adult children that live outside the home that support you, are you able to stay with temporarily for your safety?

The technical reality of the Affidavit of Support doesn’t necessarily lock you into supporting him. What it does is make you liable for any means tested benefits he uses. These benefits aren’t as easy to get as most people think, in the sense that there are often applications and paperwork that need to be completed. From your description of this person, I’m not sure how realistic it is that he is going to be racking these things up.

Even if it is a possibility down the road, that shouldn’t be your first priority at all. A safe place, a protective order, and a divorce are all necessary to protect yourself.

There is little to nothing you can do on the immigration side of things at this point. And anything that would happen is not going to happen quickly enough to be a safe solution.

Edited by MorganandMichael

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

4 hours ago, Needing advice said:

Hi, I am going to try to make a long story short. In 2014 I brought my husband here on a k-1 visa. We did everything by the book and I thought life was going to be perfect. I know many people who have had amazing lives with their foreign spouses so I don’t want to scare anyone from this. After his arrival things seemed ok for a while we got his green card and he refuses to work and I honestly can’t even teach him to drive because he just does not get it and he nearly wrecked the car on multiple occasions . Now he can’t even pass the test to get a drivers permit again. Once he got his permanent residency he completely changed. I made him get a job with me and he intentionally got fired and threatened to shoot the place up. He has pushed all of my kids out of my house. Three are adults but they refuse to see me when he is around. The youngest just avoids him when she is around him. He got mad because I allowed my youngest to watch a TV show and picked up a steak knife and told me he should kill me right now. My jaw dropped to the floor. If you love someone you don’t do that. I know that I can just divorce him but the Affidavit of Support locks me into supporting him and since he has worked 9 months of the 7 years I would be stuck doing just that. I am nit rich. I make enough to support my family but not enough to support him as he lives separately. He has had his passport expired fir 4 years now and we are finally getting it renewed because I am pushing. He keeps backing out every time we book a flight to “visit” his family in his own country because he know I am going to aak him nit to come back. During an argument the other day i hit record on my phone and laid it face down so he didn’t know and have audio of his saying that what he did when he threatened to kill me was perfectly normal and acceptable when you’re mad. It isn’t! If you truly love someone you just don’t do that. People I worked with told me that they contacted immigration when he said he would shoot the place up if he had a gun. Nothing ever came of it. I looked into it for his threat to me but it said that I had to give my name and if they question him they can tell him who made the contacts. Anonymous reports aren’t guaranteed to be looked into. I can’t trust him enough to make such a report in case they don’t act on it and remove him so I am trying to just get him to go see family. Does anyone know if it is possible to serve him while he is in another country and do you think I can use that audio to block him from returning? Any tips on how to solve this. I just want my life back. 

Firstly, I'm so sorry for your situation, I only have 5 steps, sadly removing him from the country I don't believe is possible.

1. Protect yourself and your family - physically first, whatever means necessary, you can also get an emergency permit if there is a danger, which it sounds like,
  2. Report this to the police, after step 1 personally, 
  3. Speak with a divorce attorney ASAP,
  4. Divorce him and record any and all contact he tries to have,
  5. Move on and trust you'll have a happy life! 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

25 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

So sad that you're going through this terrible situation.  Get him on a flight to his home country if you want to, and contact a good divorce attorney for a restraining order and start the divorce process.  Be safe, file a police report on the domestic violence incidents, and maybe even move and do not let him know where you are.  Cut all communication with this guy and get a divorce through an attorney and move on with your life in a positive way, as hard as that will be, you can do it.  Rely on good friends or family for moral support.  Be strong, you can do this!  His immigration journey is entirely his own, so no need to worry about it.  Fate will catch up with him eventually.  Good luck and try to stay positive.

How can she get him on a flight? She cannot force him to get on a flight if he doesn't want to. The only thing she can do is call the police on him and to make sure that she has as much evidence as possible for him to be convicted of the crimes he has committed (threatening someone with a deadly weapon is a very serious crime). Fate will not catch up to him unless law enforcement is involved in some way. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.