Captain Ewok

Trump To Suspend H-1B and Other Visas Until End Of Year

122 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Good. The purpose of the H1B program is wage arbitration, which is really unnecessary considering the unemployment situation right now. The majority of H1B recipients make below median wages, at the lowest possible tiers (below 17th and 34th percentile), and the LCA requirement is not enforced. Anyone interested in the facts on H1B should read this paper that came out recently:

https://www.epi.org/publication/h-1b-visas-and-prevailing-wage-levels/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
29 minutes ago, WantABetterLife said:

This is a common misconception about H1B spread by anti immigrant groups. I’m surprised to find this rhetoric here in a forum that helps immigrants. There are two types of H1Bs, highly skilled with masters or PHD from an American university. Go to any top STEM school, you will find majority of students to be international. These students later convert from OPT to H1B.

These jobs typically require graduate level degree, which is hard to find among Americans. The other kind of H1B is from consulting companies, typically from outsourcing companies bringing their employees on board. If you abolish H1B, these jobs will simply be outsourced. Companies will loose talent on important projects. The H1B median wage is $80k. So forget taxes. Most of these jobs will be simply moved to Canada or India. The 3 million unemployed are mostly from restaurants and other low wage workers completely unrelated to H1B. All this potential EO does is to get some brownie points among his xenophobic anti immigrant base who doesn’t want high skilled brown immigrants in this country.

I myself have a masters degree from a top US university and working on H1B and earn a salary of $110k plus bonuses. I didn’t steal anyone’s job. In fact the very first requirement of getting a H1B is to prove to USCIS that you can’t find any American to fill the job. They have gotten pretty strict about it recently. I was hired solely because my knowledge in my field. All my friends in H1B have a similar story.

Many state and federal agencies don't allow their contractors to use off shore resources, so it's not as simple as moving them off shore. Some private companies have similar restrictions. Wal-Mart used probably a thousand h1b employees/contractors in their IT department. That was back in 2008, so probably more now.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

42 minutes ago, WantABetterLife said:

This is a common misconception about H1B spread by anti immigrant groups. I’m surprised to find this rhetoric here in a forum that helps immigrants. There are two types of H1Bs, highly skilled with masters or PHD from an American university. Go to any top STEM school, you will find majority of students to be international. These students later convert from OPT to H1B.

These jobs typically require graduate level degree, which is hard to find among Americans. The other kind of H1B is from consulting companies, typically from outsourcing companies bringing their employees on board. If you abolish H1B, these jobs will simply be outsourced. Companies will loose talent on important projects. The H1B median wage is $80k. So forget taxes. Most of these jobs will be simply moved to Canada or India. The 3 million unemployed are mostly from restaurants and other low wage workers completely unrelated to H1B. All this potential EO does is to get some brownie points among his xenophobic anti immigrant base who doesn’t want high skilled brown immigrants in this country.

I myself have a masters degree from a top US university and working on H1B and earn a salary of $110k plus bonuses. I didn’t steal anyone’s job. In fact the very first requirement of getting a H1B is to prove to USCIS that you can’t find any American to fill the job. They have gotten pretty strict about it recently. I was hired solely because my knowledge in my field. All my friends in H1B have a similar story.

I am talking about IT field directly, I am not in the industry but many of my friends are.  Per law they are suppose to pay HIB workers same pay rate as US Workers, but what I was told they create a different classification and job descriptions and bring in H1B workers to replace US workers at lower pay rates.  It all about corporate greed 

4 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Many state and federal agencies don't allow their contractors to use off shore resources, so it's not as simple as moving them off shore. Some private companies have similar restrictions. Wal-Mart used probably a thousand h1b employees/contractors in their IT department. That was back in 2008, so probably more now.

Companies like amazon, Walmart, google, Microsoft, etc have branches all over the world. They can move their visa employees to Canada or india and keep them employed and may bring them back later on H1B. Happened to a couple of my friends who were not selected on H1B lottery. Plus not all H1Bs are contracting, a significant portion of it are direct hires from US companies, typically graduate students from OPT. 

I agree that the program needs some reform, especially on the outsourcing side. My point is that a blanket ban might turn out to be counterproductive. As you close the pathway for graduate students and move them elsewhere. The outsourcing companies like CTS, INFOSYS will just stop bringing in H1Bs and continue to operate from India. So you are not getting most of the jobs back anyway. 

Edited by WantABetterLife
Typo

5 hours ago, David and Anna said:

The April 22 EO on immigration expires this week and thus we are expecting some news on that front...and now these rumors of Trump preparing a sweeping new immigration EO...doesn't bode well for those of us sitting with USCIS approved K-1's.

We shall hear something this week.  (I am not expecting good news, but let's hope we are pleasantly surprised). 

That also says nothing of the March 11 travel ban...that was supposed to be for 30-days (that came from somewhere, I'm not sure where, but the actual EO language says its indefinite until lifted by Trump), but here we are over 3 months later with no word.  Many other countries have lifted their international travel bans in part or in whole...

You really think K1 will be impacted this time? I surely hope not. 

2 hours ago, nativeson said:

Good. The purpose of the H1B program is wage arbitration, which is really unnecessary considering the unemployment situation right now. The majority of H1B recipients make below median wages, at the lowest possible tiers (below 17th and 34th percentile), and the LCA requirement is not enforced. Anyone interested in the facts on H1B should read this paper that came out recently:

https://www.epi.org/publication/h-1b-visas-and-prevailing-wage-levels/

Well in that case family based immigrants make no economic benefit to the country other than getting green cards cause they are married to citizens or they are brothers/sisters/sons/daughters of so and so. Lets not blame the immigrant cause DOL is lazy to do its job. I for a fact know H1b in Silicon valley make way more money than average american and contribute more than an average native born.

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Don't worry desperate impoverished Latinos ruined by the free trade agreement are still allowed in to pick vegetables on massive corporate owned farms for slave wages. Maids and nanny's for the rich can still come too.

It's just our loved ones, highly trained and skilled people, and refugees facing death that are banned.

😶 ......uhm ........ 🤔 hmmmm. Maybe try rephrasing that into something coherent.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, WantABetterLife said:

The problem exists with the cap of 20K visa's for MS and Phd vs 65K for the "general" population. To me it makes sense to make at least 70/30. In the sense 70% of 85K should go to M.S/Phd from US univs and rest for general population. Consulting companies (TCS, Infosys, CTS, Wipro) have kind of ruined it for the rest making it harder for the deserving ones to get an H-1. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Don't worry desperate impoverished Latinos ruined by the free trade agreement are still allowed in to pick vegetables on massive corporate owned farms for slave wages. Maids and nannys for the rich can still come too.

It's just our loved ones, highly trained and skilled people, and refugees facing death that are banned.

slaves had no wages 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.