USAMorocco

Question...How is it possible he is here legally after I never filed for his papers.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

But if she allows this to go on and he has filed his AOS and I-864 forging her signature shes RESPONSIBLE and must pay the US government back ANY money and public benefits her ex husband used while in the USA. The USCIS didn't care she filed a new form for her new husband as long as she signs those papers saying she responsible. They don't care because she's on the hook to pay not the USA Government. 

She needs to find out if a week from now or 10 years from now the US government will be knocking on her door for who knows how much money her ex used back. 

She knows what's all the I-864 is responsible for so if her signature is forged she needs to fix this so she's not responsible ans can just be happy and responsible for her current family.

So he took a forged spouse to the interview, there is absolutely nothing to suggest this happened and quite a bit to suggest it did not,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

The story in my local Post Office was that I was dead, my dog had died and I think that is where it came from, still wonder if there are people up there who have not been updated. 

You're alive right? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have learned a lot about how people are able to get legal status in various ways, since moving to California two years ago.  Many attorneys have set up practices to cater to this group and they know the processes and US immigration law with all its waivers and loopholes much better than we do.  There are lots of ways, but my best guess is asylum if he is in fact legal now, as it was much easier to get asylum a few years ago, after you divorced him.  I agree with others who suggested that you forget about this and move on with your life.  If he did in fact forge an I-864 and later the government comes after you, asking for reimbursement of public funds that he used, you can explain your situation at that time and provide documentation to show that you divorced shortly after he arrived on a K-1 so there was no way he could have adjusted status from the K-1.  Life is too short to waste any days fretting about the past.  Sounds like you're happily married now, congratulations!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

I have learned a lot about how people are able to get legal status in various ways, since moving to California two years ago.  Many attorneys have set up practices to cater to this group and they know the processes and US immigration law with all its waivers and loopholes much better than we do.  There are lots of ways, but my best guess is asylum if he is in fact legal now, as it was much easier to get asylum a few years ago, after you divorced him.  I agree with others who suggested that you forget about this and move on with your life.  If he did in fact forge an I-864 and later the government comes after you, asking for reimbursement of public funds that he used, you can explain your situation at that time and provide documentation to show that you divorced shortly after he arrived on a K-1 so there was no way he could have adjusted status from the K-1.  Life is too short to waste any days fretting about the past.  Sounds like you're happily married now, congratulations!

I just wanted to see what people thought. As long as I can’t get in trouble and my family won’t be torn apart by a surprising revelation at the interview (if my husband has an interview) than I’m fine. His business is none of mine. The wheels in my head just started turning when my neighbor told me...the what if’s started going and then of course fear set in. Again, after he left I did all I could to let immigration know. I took the proper channels and I still have the paperwork to prove I did my part by reporting it. I’ll keep it and if there is any questions I’ll give it to immigration. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

People are dumb so I contribute the neighbour to this pile. 

First question I was asked at a job once after transferring to a new location was "omg are you legal?"

Othertimes people assumed I was automatically a USC because my spouse is (it's actually a very common assumption.) 

I think the neighbour hasn't a clue. I mean they still associate with a potential child molestor. 

I remember the judge that heard our case for the restraining order called my ex “alarming around children” and stated “there’s not enough proof right now because she caught it early but I’m sure we will likely see you back here.” So my neighbor brought pictures to the judge as evidence that he is a good person. The pictures were of him and my daughter that I never knew were taken. The judge said “are you trying to help your friend or bury him because the fact that pictures of a child were taken without the mother’s consent are extremely alarming to me.” 🤦‍♀️ As long as I know my family is not in jeopardy of being broken up everything will be fine. I just figured you can’t aos with anyone than the petitioner so when my neighbor said this it just sent off alarms in my head. Like maybe my past was coming back to haunt me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You can guess his immigration history and prolly your neighbor can't either.... You guys are divorced he owes you nothing... And not even an explanation of his legality in the country. You said you married now and you have a good thing going so just face that and forget about him... If he did anything wrong in anyway or he is still illegal USCIS /ICE will find him.. You can even make a report because you not sure of what you reporting my dear... Just look away and move on. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

2 hours ago, NikLR said:

People are dumb so I contribute the neighbour to this pile. 

First question I was asked at a job once after transferring to a new location was "omg are you legal?"

Othertimes people assumed I was automatically a USC because my spouse is (it's actually a very common assumption.) 

I think the neighbour hasn't a clue. I mean they still associate with a potential child molestor. 

I was going to say something like this too. How does the neighbor know this person’s every move? The neighbor says he never left the country but all it takes is enough time to go back for a B-2 interview. He may only have been gone a few days. Once here on a B-2 he could have married someone to adjust and had now divorced that person to bring the original partner from the homeland here - the old spousal Shuffle trick.

Considering he thinks it’s acceptable to take that kind of photo of a child, a bit of immigration fraud is nothing to him. 

And why is the neighbor so involved? I doubt my neighbor even knows my last name, much less my relationship history. 

And that’s very true that the average man on the street has no knowledge of immigration procedures. Like NLR, people have assumed I became a USC when I married my husband, people ask if I’m legal, I’ve been asked if I’m allowed to change jobs, allowed to buy a car, allowed to move to a different state. When I mentioned to someone I’m an immigrant they assumed I had crossed the border illegally and been in some holding camp somewhere. For many people, “immigrant” almost always conjures up the idea of illegal border crossings. The ignorance of the average person is quite high.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This whole thing sounds absurd 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand information and we will never know the facts. If he hasn't bothered you in 7 years I wouldn't waste my time on the mystery. Let the US government worry about it.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

You can guess his immigration history and prolly your neighbor can't either.... You guys are divorced he owes you nothing... And not even an explanation of his legality in the country. You said you married now and you have a good thing going so just face that and forget about him... If he did anything wrong in anyway or he is still illegal USCIS /ICE will find him.. You can even make a report because you not sure of what you reporting my dear... Just look away and move on. 

What report did I say I was looking to make? And did I say he owed me any explanation? No I did not. I’m asking because I’m in the process of ROC with my husband and I’m worried something is wrong. I didn’t ask for advice on what to do. Thank you though. I asked a simple question of how it’s possible he could still be here legally. Please keep your snarky comments to yourself and move on. I never said I wanted to file a report or he owed me any explanation. I said I just don’t want this to interfere with my family. Thanks though. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

I was going to say something like this too. How does the neighbor know this person’s every move? The neighbor says he never left the country but all it takes is enough time to go back for a B-2 interview. He may only have been gone a few days. Once here on a B-2 he could have married someone to adjust and had now divorced that person to bring the original partner from the homeland here - the old spousal Shuffle trick.

Considering he thinks it’s acceptable to take that kind of photo of a child, a bit of immigration fraud is nothing to him. 

And why is the neighbor so involved? I doubt my neighbor even knows my last name, much less my relationship history. 

And that’s very true that the average man on the street has no knowledge of immigration procedures. Like NLR, people have assumed I became a USC when I married my husband, people ask if I’m legal, I’ve been asked if I’m allowed to change jobs, allowed to buy a car, allowed to move to a different state. When I mentioned to someone I’m an immigrant they assumed I had crossed the border illegally and been in some holding camp somewhere. For many people, “immigrant” almost always conjures up the idea of illegal border crossings. The ignorance of the average person is quite high.

He and the neighbor became like family when he left here. His family took my ex in. He helped my ex. They all talk just about every day. They see each other all the time. It’s okay. I got my answer. He may actually have been able to AOS on his own without me. As long as I’m in the clear (legally) and he didn’t use my name or information for anything. I don’t care. I know I’m not responsible for him because I didn’t send in the affidavit of support. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.