Tracer6158

Wedding Ceremony Prior to K1 Appointment

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hello everyone....really glad I found this site, it has been VERY helpful for my fiance and I.   So here's a quick summary:  She is in Bolivia and we would like to have our ceremony in Bolivia.  Religious ceremonies are meaningless in Bolivia, only government "ceremonies" are considered legal.  So, I'm estimating that her K1 packet will arrive at the consulate in La Paz around April 15.  We want to have our ceremony in Bolivia but we want to do this before May 3 which is  the date for the country's new election.  There is a good chance the election results is going to cause more chaos like it did late last year, which could potentially make for a difficult ceremony process or maybe even mean more blocked roads, protests, and even violence, similar to last year.  Sooooo, we are thinking....what would be the problem with having our ceremony in late April, before the May 3 election, then she later goes to her K1 interview, etc, hopefully gets her visa, and takes off to the US to be me with me of course and do our courthouse wedding.  Any problems with this plan?   The first potential issue is needing to reschedule the K1 interview if it just happens to fall on a day in late April but in this case I think her K1 interview will be after May 3.  Any input appreciated please  :) 

Edited by Tracer6158

Timeline

Thanks Lucky...in this case, I (the groom and petitioner) would go to Bolivia have the ceremony, return to the US while she remains in Bolivia, later goes to her K1 interview, then, if approved, she goes to the US....not a good idea?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Agreed, it’s not a gud idea. If the CO or POE officer finds the photos of the ceremony thru social posts n such, it’s highly likely she will be denied.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

16 minutes ago, Tracer6158 said:

Hello everyone....really glad I found this site, it has been VERY helpful for my fiance and I.   So here's a quick summary:  She is in Bolivia and we would like to have our ceremony in Bolivia.  Religious ceremonies are meaningless in Bolivia, only government "ceremonies" are considered legal.  So, I'm estimating that her K1 packet will arrive at the consulate in La Paz around April 15.  We want to have our ceremony in Bolivia but we want to do this before May 3 which is  the date for the country's new election.  There is a good chance the election results is going to cause more chaos like it did late last year, which could potentially make for a difficult ceremony process or maybe even mean more blocked roads, protests, and even violence, similar to last year.  Sooooo, we are thinking....what would be the problem with having our ceremony in late April, before the May 3 election, then she later goes to her K1 interview, etc, hopefully gets her visa, and takes off to the US to be me with me of course and do our courthouse wedding.  Any problems with this plan?   The first potential issue is needing to reschedule the K1 interview if it just happens to fall on a day in late April but in this case I think her K1 interview will be after May 3.  Any input appreciated please  :) 

There are stories on here of people appearing "too married" for a K1 visa. IMO I would not have any ceremony that could be perceived as a wedding. It could cause you problems.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Tracer6158 said:

Ok...thanks guys...disaster avoided  :)  :)

Very difficult to keep it from social media nowadays.   Somebody would post pics and since they request your "handles" it would be very easy for them to see

YMMV

Timeline

On another note, she has a social media presence but I, happily, do not  :)   Hopefully I'm not looking suspicious due to having no SM presence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Tracer6158 said:

So, I'm estimating that her K1 packet will arrive at the consulate in La Paz around April 15.

Another issue to keep in mind is that estimated processing dates are only guesses, it is impossible to know for sure when your specific case will arrive at the consulate, an interview scheduled, visa approved, then later issued and delivered, etc...  If you've been on this site for a while, you know that making firm plans based on estimated dates is always risky.  I always say, hope for the best, but plan for the worst, that way you won't be sorry holding non-refundable airline tickets, wedding deposits, etc.  I agree with others that it is not worth taking a chance on having any kind of ceremony before traveling to the US on a K-1 as others have been refused entry for being "too married for a K-1."  I hope all goes well with your K-1 process so that you can be together in the US soon.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

YEs NSA is located near my house.  I knew a guy at the power company. he said they put in a big supply line for them.  Plus they got like 27 million gallons or some crazy high number of water per day for cooling the servers.  lots cheaper than aircon.

If the political situation is more stable after she gets her GC (or even after AP), you guys can always travel back and do a religious ceremony or vow renewal so her family can feel more included as part of the celebration.

Although there is not political turmoil in the UK (unless you want to consider having waited almost a year to do Brexit), thats what we did. We renewed our vows one week after our first anniversary.

4 hours ago, elkski said:

YEs NSA is located near my house.  I knew a guy at the power company. he said they put in a big supply line for them.  Plus they got like 27 million gallons or some crazy high number of water per day for cooling the servers.  lots cheaper than aircon.

Yep that is definitely far more efficient as well than having to use the AC to keep server cool. 

4 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

You've heard of the NSA, right? Privacy is dead. 

This I can agree with you on. Privacy is almost dead unless you only use cash and completely off the grid.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.