Na3Na3

SSN/Health Insurance

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

I have a question regarding getting an SSN and health insurance. My fiancee arrived in the US a little over a month ago, and we are getting married in the coming 2 weeks. 

Obviously health insurance is very expensive in the US, and my fiancee and I would prefer to not have to buy it for him until he can work (if possible). I am currently on my parents' plan, and can remain there for a while. Is a K1 visa holder required to buy health insurance? Or can he go without until he gets his green card or work authorization? Will we receive a tax penalty if he doesn't get insured? 

Also, health insurance asside, are K1 visa holders required to get their SSN numbers in the first 90 days? We don't need an SSN to get married, however I suppose I can't claim him on my taxes if he doesn't have an SSN. 

Thanks for the help! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As of Jan. 1, 2019, there is no penalty fee associated with not having health insurance for the 2019 calendar year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

One more thing.......He should file for adjustment of status within 90 days of entry to the US. If he fails to do so, he will be out of status and subject to deportation. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

~~moved to moving here and your new life from K1 process and procedures. ~~

you can get the ssn right away and should.   You also do not need an ssn for health insurance. 

I would double check if you can remain on your parents plan after marriage.  Most plans kick you off for that or if you turn 26 or arent in school fulltime etc. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Most plans kick you off for that or if you turn 26 or arent in school fulltime etc. 

Great point......I forgot about that.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
44 minutes ago, missileman said:

Honestly, these are questions which should have been asked and answered before he arrived.  Healthcare should be a MAJOR part every new immigrant's plan for living in the US.......While it might not be mandated that he have health insurance immediately, it is not wise to wait.  Any tax penalty should be the least of your concerns regarding healthcare.

To file a joint tax return, he MUST have a social security number.  

Totally agree. Living in the US without insurance is a huge risk. An accident can happen or an unexpected illness and it’s enough to ruin someone financially. It’s not worth the risk. He needs to find coverage one way or another ASAP

40 minutes ago, NikLR said:

you can get the ssn right away and should.

They need to get married first, no?

8 minutes ago, designguy said:

Totally agree. Living in the US without insurance is a huge risk. An accident can happen or an unexpected illness and it’s enough to ruin someone financially. It’s not worth the risk. He needs to find coverage one way or another ASAP

They need to get married first, no?

No they do not need to get married first to get the SSN.  He can get one as a K1 entrant.  Most of the time we encourage women to get then asap before marriage because if you change your legal name from your visa name, the SSA throws a conniption fit and wont issue an SSN.  Men are no different obviously. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

if you think health insurance is expensive, try getting sick or being hospitalized or needing surgery WITHOUT it....

Welcome to adulthood.

Actually, without the "mandatory" insurance from the "Affordable Health Care" plan,  I think rates have dropped a bit, since companies now have to compete with other companies.  It's like mandatory car ins, if there was no mandatory insurance some companies would move out of that state, and the ones who remain fights for the dollar with lower costs.

Recently my wife had a doctors visit, the big was $200,  then discounted for being in a group thing,  insurance ponied up and her total cost was a tad over $40.  I would have hated to pay the $200 out of pocket.  We pay for her $137 a month, health ins only as she gets dental etc at work even as a part timer.  So,  the OP needs to shop around and take care of it.  Being younger is a plus! 

7 hours ago, Na3Na3 said:

Hello Everyone!

I have a question regarding getting an SSN and health insurance. My fiancee arrived in the US a little over a month ago, and we are getting married in the coming 2 weeks. 

Obviously health insurance is very expensive in the US, and my fiancee and I would prefer to not have to buy it for him until he can work (if possible). I am currently on my parents' plan, and can remain there for a while. Is a K1 visa holder required to buy health insurance? Or can he go without until he gets his green card or work authorization? Will we receive a tax penalty if he doesn't get insured? 

Also, health insurance asside, are K1 visa holders required to get their SSN numbers in the first 90 days? We don't need an SSN to get married, however I suppose I can't claim him on my taxes if he doesn't have an SSN. 

Thanks for the help! 

What will you do if he gets sick or injured?  It is far cheaper to pay for health insurance than to pay out of pocket for medical bills as an uninsured patient.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
20 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

As of Jan. 1, 2019, there is no penalty fee associated with not having health insurance for the 2019 calendar year.

That depends on where you live. New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, and D,C, still have the penalty based on income level.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

That depends on where you live. New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, and D,C, still have the penalty based on income level.

To rephrase my comment for correctness:  As of Jan. 1, 2019, there is no federal penalty fee associated with not having health insurance for the 2019 calendar year.

Unfortunately, the states you mentioned have a State Health Insurance Mandates with penalties based on income level.     

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
23 hours ago, Na3Na3 said:

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the help! 

You don’t need a SS card to get heath insurance 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.