Daryap

Dating while married

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello! have a good day for all reading this post,

My girlfriend is married at this time and they are going to start a divorce process as soon they have money, they have been married for 5 years but separeted for 1 year (just by their own not lawyer or paper wrote about it )

We have been together for 6 months by now and we are meeting next month, that is going to be our first time together because this is a distance relationship online dating.

Our concerns are about, there is any problem to meet and travel together before they start the divorce process? because we have been talking about she come to my home country (peru) or move to the US in a future and we are worried that will affect any future process because the only thing we want is to stay together and start a new life in person. 

She is the US citizen , im from Peru, Thanks a lot and have a good day! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you may run into questions at the interview, you may not. nothing can be filed until she is officially divorced, anyways.

My husband and I were both separated from our applicable spouses when we started dating and his divorce decree was not finalized until a few months before his 'official' proposal and my engagement ring. We were not ever asked about it.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

you may run into questions at the interview, you may not. nothing can be filed until she is officially divorced, anyways.

My husband and I were both separated from our applicable spouses when we started dating and his divorce decree was not finalized until a few months before his 'official' proposal and my engagement ring. We were not ever asked about it.

Thanks for your help, there is no problem with any future questions if we decide to start a process just wanted to be sure this is not something ilegal or any kind of bad concern for future, if we ever decide to start a process she will be divorcied at the time, thanks

22 minutes ago, Daryap said:

Thanks for your help, there is no problem with any future questions if we decide to start a process just wanted to be sure this is not something ilegal or any kind of bad concern for future, if we ever decide to start a process she will be divorcied at the time, thanks

It's not illegal. I started my relationship with my fiancé when I was still married to my ex. My divorce wasn't finalized until this year; by that point I had been separated from my ex for 2 years, and with my fiancé for all of that time. It doesn't matter, the important thing is that she's free to marry when you apply for a K1 or when you get married and then file for the CR1. If you truly want to be married to her in the future, I agree that her getting divorce proceedings started sooner rather than later is important. And yes, it's possible you may get asked questions about your timeline, but it's not illegal to date someone who is still technically married!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Daryap said:

My girlfriend is married at this time and they are going to start a divorce process as soon they have money, they have been married for 5 years but separeted for 1 year (just by their own not lawyer or paper wrote about it )

I think u should be ok, i was still married but separated when i meet my fiance. And we were dating long distance and in may my divorce was finalized in July i proposed and i filled kv for her at end of July. Approved October.

12 hours ago, Daryap said:

Hello! have a good day for all reading this post,

We have been together for 6 months by now and we are meeting next month, that is going to be our first time together because this is a distance relationship online dating.

Our concerns are about, there is any problem to meet and travel together before they start the divorce process? because we have been talking about she come to my home country (peru) or move to the US in a future and we are worried that will affect any future process because the only thing we want is to stay together and start a new life in person. 

She is the US citizen , im from Peru, Thanks a lot and have a good day! 

Call me old fashioned but best to tie up loose ends prior to starting a new relationship... if the marriage is over get divorce prior to trying to establish a new relationship 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i will ask what state she is in

Reason being states like New York require a LEGAL (not just living apart) separation for a year before a divorce can be final

it is always wise to look up the state requirements for a divorce degree in the state she lives in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Reason being states like New York require a LEGAL (not just living apart) separation for a year before a divorce can be final

it is always wise to look up the state requirements for a divorce degree in the state she lives in

What is a legal separation?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

She is from Texas and went to the lawyer ( paid like 50$ just for 3 questions ) and they said it's not a problem , we wanted to double verify that information , I know could be better that she is divorced but with other expenses she doesn't have the money to start the process that is priced in 2000$ but we want to travel and stay together like we are planning on December . Thanks a lot for all your help 

The only thing that is crucial is that you do not file the petition before her divorce is final.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

The only thing that is crucial is that you do not file the petition before her divorce is final.

totally agree with this statement.

me and my fiancee got together before my divorce proceedings even got started but i was already separated (living on different accommodations) for 10 months by then. we were only able to file the petition after i got my divorce decree. i have to bring with me in the interview some legal documents from the divorce proceedings that i was separated before we dated, though was never asked.

My fiance was only separated (but for 3years) when we met and dated. His divorce was final 1 day before I sent in our i129. Nobody asked a single question. We were approved and he'll be here in 2 days. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

I was just wondering this as well. I am submitting my I-129F today and my proof of in-person meeting is while I am still technically married. I think the only thing they really care about is that you are not currently married when sending the forms!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, emma24 said:

I was just wondering this as well. I am submitting my I-129F today and my proof of in-person meeting is while I am still technically married. I think the only thing they really care about is that you are not currently married when sending the forms!

correct.

many people date while separated and not fully divorced yet. It is far from uncommon.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.