Lovelypeach

Do I have to tell my Fiancee that I was married before?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

They ask for the original or certified copy of the divorce decree at the interview. So you will need to send your fiance the divorce decree (or a certified copy) that she can bring to the interview.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, Lovelypeach said:

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie and please pardon me if I post this to the wrong forum. 

So my question is: do I have to tell my fiancee living oversea about my previous marriage? ( it was divorced legally a year ago ) . I plan to petition her to United States to live with me next year 2020 , I was worry if the interview officer will talk about my previous marriage and then my fiancee will be surprise but the fact is I really want to hide my previous marriage. Does anybody know if I can hide my previous marriage to my new wife ? 

Thanks for any advice

Jamie,

Well morally it would be ideal since it's hiding a big secret from your soon to be wife.  As far as Immigration goes, it would be brought up at the interview portion.  I'm trying to figure out why are you asking to hide a secret from your fiance?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm going to just say when I met my now fiance, I was also still married although separated. I told my fiance from the very start that I was still married and that I was getting a divorce. Also, although I did not feel like I owed my ex anything, I was true to him as well. Even when we had discussed getting a divorce long before I connected with my now fiance. It wasn't the easiest thing when it came to me telling my current fiance about that. I knew I was risking him walking away because the situation may have seemed too complicated for him. I did however decide to be open and true and LET HIM CHOOSE if he wanted to stick with me through that or not. It would have been unfair to make that decision on my own. ALSO, NOT ok to hide anything at all, even if it's trivial things, from the person you plan to share your life with, let alone hide that you've been married before.

I'm not sure why it would come up in detail in the interview. I'm sure they're not going to question the beneficiary on personal details of the petitioner's reasons for divorce. However, it is all over the I-129F... You are to tell them if you were married before and provide proof that you are free to marry! Your concern sounds to me like issues in your new relationship from the get-go. Not ok. Have the talk and have it now!

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Just now, EllaC said:

I'm not sure why it would come up in detail in the interview. I'm sure they're not going to question the beneficiary on personal details of the petitioner's reasons for divorce.

It's certainly happened to others. I wouldn't say asking about the personal details is common, but it absolutely has happened.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m speculating of course, but is your new fiancée the reason why you are divorced?  

It’s wrong to lie to her.  You’re asking her to give up her entire life to come here without having all the pertinent information. 

If it’s a religious or cultural thing that may not be accepted by her, you have to work through that.

At the end of the day, tell her sooner than later.  The longer you wait the worse it will be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, EllaC said:

I'm going to just say when I met my now fiance, I was also still married although separated. I told my fiance from the very start that I was still married and that I was getting a divorce. Also, although I did not feel like I owed my ex anything, I was true to him as well. Even when we had discussed getting a divorce long before I connected with my now fiance. It wasn't the easiest thing when it came to me telling my current fiance about that. I knew I was risking him walking away because the situation may have seemed too complicated for him. I did however decide to be open and true and LET HIM CHOOSE if he wanted to stick with me through that or not. It would have been unfair to make that decision on my own. ALSO, NOT ok to hide anything at all, even if it's trivial things, from the person you plan to share your life with, let alone hide that you've been married before.

I'm not sure why it would come up in detail in the interview. I'm sure they're not going to question the beneficiary on personal details of the petitioner's reasons for divorce. However, it is all over the I-129F... You are to tell them if you were married before and provide proof that you are free to marry! Your concern sounds to me like issues in your new relationship from the get-go. Not ok. Have the talk and have it now!

It comes up. 

My husband (then fiancé) had 2 misdemeanor charges, which the embassy asked me if I was aware of.  I said yes (bc I was) and he asked me to tell him what they were. 

Yes, criminal record is different than a divorce, but the point is, anything disclosed can be brought up.  It’s a way to test the veracity of a relationship, because in theory, a chosen partner with whom you want to share your life with, should have an in-depth knowledge of your life. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lovelypeach said:

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie and please pardon me if I post this to the wrong forum. 

So my question is: do I have to tell my fiancee living oversea about my previous marriage? ( it was divorced legally a year ago ) . I plan to petition her to United States to live with me next year 2020 , I was worry if the interview officer will talk about my previous marriage and then my fiancee will be surprise but the fact is I really want to hide my previous marriage. Does anybody know if I can hide my previous marriage to my new wife ? 

Thanks for any advice

Jamie,

I can't believe you asked this question. Is there not any shame anymore? Tell her today. Now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you don't tell her, and she's asked about it at the interview, you can forget about her being issued a visa. A) Because it will look bad to the CO that she doesn't know something crucial about you. And B) Will she want to  be with  you finding out that you're trying to hide things from her?

31 minutes ago, EllaC said:

I'm not sure why it would come up in detail in the interview. 

It has done before. We don’t know where the beneficiary is from but if it’s a country or culture where divorce is frowned upon, illegal, etc she may be asked how she and her family feel about her marrying a divorcee.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you used a Marriage Broker (99.999999% of the people do not) then legally you have to disclose any previous marriages because IMBRA.

But again, 99.9999999% of the people meeting online are not.  And yes, you have to put it on the paperwork and (consular specific, they already have a copy of your packet) take it to the interview.

But I'd not be surprised if a foreign national has no idea what the document is or says.  

I have not told people I have dated I was divorced, but than again there was no paperwork to date a local girl.

You have to remember the 'company line' on this site is always be moral above reproach and never lie.  

Edited by SmallTownPA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lovelypeach said:

Thanks for any advice

Jamie,

Thank you for this highly entertaining post. 

Others have sufficiently answered your question, but I'll say anyway, that yeah, you have to disclose that you were married in the visa process. I actually had to provide proof of dissolution of marriage so you'll wanna make sure you have all your divorce paperwork. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.