Lovelypeach

Do I have to tell my Fiancee that I was married before?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

That might depend on the country. They asked for the petitioner's divorce decree in our case. 

That's why I said typically because a majority of the consulates do not 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Lovelypeach said:

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie and please pardon me if I post this to the wrong forum. 

So my question is: do I have to tell my fiancee living oversea about my previous marriage? ( it was divorced legally a year ago ) . I plan to petition her to United States to live with me next year 2020 , I was worry if the interview officer will talk about my previous marriage and then my fiancee will be surprise but the fact is I really want to hide my previous marriage. Does anybody know if I can hide my previous marriage to my new wife ? 

Thanks for any advice

Jamie,

Many had advised, and I agree with them all.  You can not hide it, and if you try, your fiancee may get a denial, or an RFE, and for my wife and I,  the K1 took 8 months,  some places longer, so if you want her there in 2020, you need to come clean about it.    I can understand your apprehension of her knowing, but it will come up sooner or later. I can think of a couple reasons why you want to hide your previous marriage, and it's not my business,  but get it out in the open before you spend thousands filing papers, and go down that road, and risking a denial due to lying.  Download the forms you will need, and LOOK at the questions you are to answer (under oath as signified by your signature).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My favorite was my naturalization application, which asked for my husband's previous wife's name, DOB, whether she was a USC, country of birth, on top of details of the marriage (marriage date/divorce date)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is what I do not understand in American culture. Why would you even think to lie ? Because hiding information or not telling complete truth is a lie.

1 minute ago, DmytriiD said:

This is what I do not understand in American culture. Why would you even think to lie ? Because hiding information or not telling complete truth is a lie.

How is that specifically part of American culture?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

How is that specifically part of American culture?

After 1 year being here I figured that people (all people I met to this day) consider lying or not telling complete truth in order to be accepted more by other or in order to get things or achieve something, etc...
In my culture it is very different. We trust each other and we don't lie to friends/coworkers/people you know.
Here I can not trust even my lawyer because I caught her twice on telling me lies in order to make more money on me in the future. That is sad. Very sad.
And even my American friends are saying that you can not trust anybody here...everyone is acting in own favor only.
What do you think? Maybe I just didn't meet truthful and open people yet.. !?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I think people from all countries and cultures are capable of lying (even your country).  Just look at all the visa fraud perpetuated by people trying to get to the United States....

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Hmmmm.  I need to show this to my Ukrainian ex wife and ask her why did she lie to me

yeah probably all people are different, maybe its just me, because even my mom always telling me that I am very truthful and honest and it get's me in trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
51 minutes ago, payxibka said:

That's why I said typically because a majority of the consulates do not 

I was the petitioner and they asked for copies of  my  full divorce decree at the interview as well.  

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

14 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

No. We are not doing that here. There are liars and cheaters in EVERY culture.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I think people from all countries and cultures are capable of lying (even your country).  Just look at all the visa fraud perpetuated by people trying to get to the United States....

I think the OP is suffering more from cowardice and the hiding of a material fact is simply the result 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, agrabs said:

I was the petitioner and they asked for copies of  my  full divorce decree at the interview as well.  

Well that's two votes for the SAME consulate.   1 out of 140.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Well that's two votes for the SAME consulate.   1 out of 140.

Wow so Romania is the only one?  sorry I didn't read thru all 4 pages to see that someone else had responded from Romania.   I wonder why its the only one that requires it.  I know we needed it again for AOS and ROC - guess  its a Romanian thing

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Timeline
Just now, agrabs said:

Wow so Romania is the only one?  sorry I didn't read thru all 4 pages to see that someone else had responded from Romania.   I wonder why its the only one that requires it.  I know we needed it again for AOS and ROC - guess  its a Romanian thing

AOS and ROC are not country dependent so everyone is subject to the same evidence requirement.   

As an aside, I would reread the i485 instructions carefully to verify if you need it for that or not 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.