Peng Fei

English Required?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm an American citizen and my fiancée is Chinese. We've applied for the K1 visa and she will be having her interview in a couple of weeks. We only speak Chinese as she doesn't know any English , I heard this wasn't a problem but could it be a problem for the interview considering we're not the same race ? 

Edited by Peng Fei

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Normally, interviewees are given the option of either English or his/her local language.............it won't be an issue since you both communicate using a common language.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

How about the AOS stage? I suppose the interview is conducted in English?

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, jeaniecz said:

How about the AOS stage? I suppose the interview is conducted in English?

In English, since it will be conducted at a local USCIS office.........you can normally take a translator.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

In English, since it will be conducted at a local USCIS office.........you can normally take a translator.

I kinda wonder what's the point of having LPRs who don't speak the local language (I mean no offence to anybody!). 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
12 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

I kinda wonder what's the point of having LPRs who don't speak the local language (I mean no offence to anybody!). 

No offence taken, but I think there will always be immigrants who won't learn the language and will remain in their own social circles, but I believe there are also many who try very hard to adapt.

Timeline

Ok, I see I might have caused some offence while that was not the intention at all. 

English is not my first language, more like my third actually, and is far from perfect, I definitely speak with an accent that immediately reveals my Slavic origin. My wife-to-be was born in the Philippines and speaks flawless, accentless American English which I am jealous of! 😜

But it looks like that my initial response to this topic launched an off-topic discussion, which I didn't intend, so please ignore what I said.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife is one of those people who have tried very very hard to adapt and perfect her English. When we moved to our new house our neighbor was surprised to learn that my wife is from the Philippines because "you don't have a accent at al", which my wife was very happy about. 

But it goes without saying that if you move to a country then you should at least learn the basic language of the land in order to converse with different people. I know I have lived in several countries and have picked up the local languages in order to help smooth the transition. So now I know a smattering of Arabic, Hindi, Tagalog, and Cebuano. 

Same for me :) I'm all over the map with my 'local' languages. Arabic, German, Spanish, Russian, Thai. And of course English is my second language :)

When I met my now wife, her English was so so. After dating and talking every day for 3 years she got better. Now she's been living in US for 6 months and her English is excellent.

I can't imagine her not speaking English. In that case I would have to quit my job and do everything for her.

To the OP. It's better if your wife will start learning English while still in China. At least the basics. It will be much easier for her to later learn when she comes to US.

1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

Same for me :) I'm all over the map with my 'local' languages. Arabic, German, Spanish, Russian, Thai. And of course English is my second language :)

When I met my now wife, her English was so so. After dating and talking every day for 3 years she got better. Now she's been living in US for 6 months and her English is excellent.

I can't imagine her not speaking English. In that case I would have to quit my job and do everything for her.

To the OP. It's better if your wife will start learning English while still in China. At least the basics. It will be much easier for her to later learn when she comes to US.

Same here as well. When we first met her English was so so at best but what really got her was sarcasm and accents. When she first came to the USA she could not understand my father at all due to his strong accent. But eventually she grew to understand it and by the time he passed away they were the best of friends. She is not a native English speaker at all it is I think number 3 or 4 in the list of languages of fluency when we first met.

Learning English would greatly help in order to get around. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Same here as well. When we first met her English was so so at best but what really got her was sarcasm and accents. When she first came to the USA she could not understand my father at all due to his strong accent. But eventually she grew to understand it and by the time he passed away they were the best of friends. She is not a native English speaker at all it is I think number 3 or 4 in the list of languages of fluency when we first met.

Learning English would greatly help in order to get around. 

Since 1974 English has been taught in schools from grade 1 in the Philippines. 

Now a days many of the private schools not only teach in English but require English be spoken on campus at all times.    Our oldest nephew started to forget some Tagalog words because of speaking English continually.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

17 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Since 1974 English has been taught in schools from grade 1 in the Philippines. 

Now a days many of the private schools not only teach in English but require English be spoken on campus at all times.    Our oldest nephew started to forget some Tagalog words because of speaking English continually.

But yet the English proficiency in the Philippines is actually going down. Not to mention a fair amount of people I know can read it but can not converse in it that much. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

But yet the English proficiency in the Philippines is actually going down. Not to mention a fair amount of people I know can read it but can not converse in it that much. 

Find that hard to believe being English is taught in school ..  I know with my nephews as each started school it wasn't long after that they were talking to me in English and not Tagalog.      I can see where many older people would not speak English, I have a couple aunts that don't.

But for the most part only ones that have issue with speaking English are those that don't use it .. you know the saying - Use it or Lose it.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.