29 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Rachel Becker said:

Has anyone used a lawyer or an online service to help them with the K1 visa application? Looking for a recommendation. 

I did my application on my own and no attorney was really needed but you can gather all the documents and review it with an attorney before submitting to be confident and they should charge very cheap to review your case. $100-200 

I hope this will help and GOOD LUCK!

Are you both still living in Israel? If so, you might want to ask yourself whether the K-1 is really the best choice. Research all the pros and cons - not just the part about it being faster, pay attention to the first 4 months or so of married life where your spouse will be unable to work, possibly unable to drive, unable to leave the country (which limits your honeymoon options if nothing else). 

Why not get married (in Israel or anywhere else of your choosing) and file for the spousal visa

Most cases can be completed without the assistance of a lawyer. Lawyers can slow cases down due to the extra steps back and forth with the paperwork and the fact that the lawyer has no emotional involvement in the case and no personal need for the case to move fast. If you think you need a lawyer, or would just feel more confident with a lawyer, that’s your choice. But don’t engage one because you believe it’s a requirement. That’s an Internet myth. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I think most of us are here because we've done it on our own, and use this as resource for advise and guidance. it's 100% possible to complete these applications on your own, and I've read multiple times, adding a third party into the process seems to only hinder and slow the process. No one will put the time, attention & detail into your application like you.

Edited by Jmeleecur

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any advice about getting “married” in Israel before getting the K1 visa? My finance and I were planning on getting married without the rabbinut (not legally) and then getting legally married in the US when he gets the visa. I know someone who did this. However, I’ve seen other posts on visa journey that warned against doing this. Any advice? 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Rachel Becker said:

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any advice about getting “married” in Israel before getting the K1 visa? My finance and I were planning on getting married without the rabbinut (not legally) and then getting legally married in the US when he gets the visa. I know someone who did this. However, I’ve seen other posts on visa journey that warned against doing this. Any advice? 

Don't do it.  The risks that your K-1 visa, AOS, etc. will be denied is not worth it.  You would be hiding this "marriage" from the US Government.  

Just become someone you know got away with circumventing the rules, it doesn't mean it was legal or acceptable.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Rachel Becker said:

Unfortunately, the "someone else did it" doesn't work with consulate officers.  That being said, why not pursue the spousal visa, it is far superior and cheaper as @missileman so succinctly shows.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Rachel Becker said:

The embassy may very well interpret "married" as being married for real and deny a K-1 visa.

If having a ceremony in Israel is important ... get married for real, then complete the CR-1 visa process .. overall it is cheaper and when your spouse arrives in the USA their green card will arrive shortly after.   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

28 minutes ago, Rachel Becker said:

Even if it is not "legal" as you say you can still get denied. Because if it looks and smells like a wedding, how do you prove it is not. So the best security is to deny if there is a presumption of marriage before a K1. The key word is presumption. It doesn't have to be legal or real, all it has to do is looks like a wedding.

Don't do it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Definitely do it yourself.  Stay far away from attorneys and "rapid" visa services.  All they do is take your money and then make mistakes or slow the process down.  You have to get all the documents, gather the evidence, etc. anyway.  Attorneys do not even fill out forms or submit them for you, they hire staff to do everything and sometimes those people are less educated about the process than you might think.  An attorney is only needed when you have an unusual problem like deportation in the past, criminal record, etc.  The spousal visa is far superior to K-1 mainly because of the long frustrating wait of 6 months for work authorization and ability to travel outside the US that many who have gone through it call the K-1 hell.  Ask your fiance if he is okay with a six month period of not being able to work, no travel outside the US, in many states not able to get a driver's license.  Do more research on the adjustment of status process after arrival in the US on a K-1.  We see many examples here on VJ of K-1 couples who post questions expressing surprise that the alien spouse cannot work, cannot drive, and cannot leave the US for so many months.  Some experience financial hardship, emotional stress, and this can negatively affect their relationship.  Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
10 hours ago, Rachel Becker said:

Has anyone used a lawyer or an online service to help them with the K1 visa application? Looking for a recommendation. 

We used RapidVisa. Worth every penny.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.