miles&miles

Is 2 week facetime enough for an approval?

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, nice to have stumbled upon such a nice community :)

My fiance is very close to setting up her interview, she's from Costa Rica. 

We're kind of worried for her chances of having her visa approved as we have only met 2 times, both times make up a little bit more than 2 weeks total. We've known each other for over a year.

What are her chances of being approved? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

We're kind of worried for her chances of having her visa approved as we have only met 2 times, both times make up a little bit more than 2 weeks total. We've known each other for over a year.

It’s the totality of your evidence not just one thing. Did you get engaged on the first meeting ? Certainly more time together would be better .. but there are lots of other things they look at too 

Filed: Other Timeline
6 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

It all depends on the interviewing officer and what they consider is strong evidence of bonafide relationship. Ofc, more facetime is better, especially in high fraud countries but it's not unheard of to get approved with little facetime. My husband (from Lebanon) had only 1 meet with me before filing (7-8 day visit) and a second one during the process (12-ish days).

It's totally possible!

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
31 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

Generally, quality face to face time is an important aspect. That being said, approval is based on a variety of factors (the quality and amount of evidence for a bona fide relationship you've provided), consular office, degree of fraud risk, etc. I've seen people with far more get denied (possibly due to other factors) and people with the same or less get approved. Just provide as much bona fide evidence as you can! There are lots of discussions on VJ about evidence to submit for the K1 process. 

Some factors that may raise "red flags" are described below (but I have seen plenty of people on VJ get approved despite one (or many) of these "red flags") so take it all with a grain of salt 👍:

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/fiance-visa-proving-your-bona-fide-29545/

Marriage: 2018-12-28 [in Portugal]

I-130 Sent: 2019-02-24

I-130 NOA1: 2019-03-07

I-130 Approved: 2019-05-31

NVC Received: 2019-06-19 

Case/invoice number assigned: 2019-08-27

IV/AOS fees paid: 2019-08-28

NVC docs submitted: 2019-09-21 

DQ at NVC: 2019-10-08

Interview letter received: 2019-10-24

Interview date: 2019-11-06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
27 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

That's just a small portion of what they are looking at.  Just make sure she knows a lot about you,  when you propose and where/job/where you work/where you live/how long at current job/who you live with/your ex-spouse(if any)/kids, etc...Basically let her know about your life...Good luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What else ya got? :yes:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd check in the regional forums and see if anyone else from Costa Rica or with a fiance/spouse from there can answer. At some consulates, you'll be just fine with the legal minimum one visit; at others (mostly high fraud and/or high security risk countries), you'll need quite a lot of time together and even then approval of a K-1 isn't likely. At most consulates, assuming you have a sufficient other relationship evidence, two one-week in-person visits is fine.

The people reviewing your fiancee's visa application are going to evaluate your case based on everything they know about you and her and about her culture. There's not a strict '# of visits' cut-off (except that your petition would have been denied if you didn't have at least one).

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

To my knowledge the requirement is that you must have met in person, it doesn't say how much time you must have spent together in person. 

Make sure you have a solid case of a bona fide relationship, that means, you know a lot about one another, you spent a lot of time calling, texting, videocalling... otherwise letters, emails. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Other Country: Uganda
Timeline

First thing I would take note of is whether your fiance is from/of a country of typically perceived 'high risk', and the tone of the Embassy there (whether they tend to be more traditionalist/open-minded) and et cetera. Are refusals pretty common there despite high evidence proof of meeting each other/knowing each other well? etc.

Personally I have a similar 'face time' timeframe and my Embassy is in Singapore (which is low risk and tend to be pretty objective in their approvals, as far as I can gather) which went through USCIS just fine. I've heard of cases over here where they've only met once for a few amount of days and somehow still got approved so it really is circumstantial.

If you feel that your face time is insufficient,  I would advice your fiance to bring along other proof(s) of relationship such as chat logs and even Skype screengrabs to further prove that your relationship is solidified.

15 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

I'd check in the regional forums and see if anyone else from Costa Rica or with a fiance/spouse from there can answer. At some consulates, you'll be just fine with the legal minimum one visit; at others (mostly high fraud and/or high security risk countries), you'll need quite a lot of time together and even then approval of a K-1 isn't likely. At most consulates, assuming you have a sufficient other relationship evidence, two one-week in-person visits is fine.

The people reviewing your fiancee's visa application are going to evaluate your case based on everything they know about you and her and about her culture. There's not a strict '# of visits' cut-off (except that your petition would have been denied if you didn't have at least one).

^^^^ This is the best advice. Requirements vary by Embassy. What flies in Manila may not work in San Jose. Check out the regional forum and chat with others from Costa Rica. They can give you a clearer picture. Good Luck!

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
19 hours ago, miles&miles said:

We were approved after 1 meeting.  

As stated several times it is really country dependent and they gauge the quality of the relationship by the overall case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

if you look at the 1st map here on the images of high fraud countries ,  you will see Costa Rica is on the map

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+fraud+countries&rlz=1C1JPGB_enUS833US833&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAjZ_Bu7njAhVMHM0KHYbY

that being pointed out ,  the beneficary needs to go into the interview with confidence

fully prepared to answer all questions about the finacee by knowing every thing about the USC   

must be able to prove the relationship is real and you will work or study in the US  with your fiancee

Just now, JeanneAdil said:

if you look at the 1st map here on the images of high fraud countries ,  you will see Costa Rica is on the map

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+fraud+countries&rlz=1C1JPGB_enUS833US833&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAjZ_Bu7njAhVMHM0KHYbY

that being pointed out ,  the beneficary needs to go into the interview with confidence

fully prepared to answer all questions about the finacee by knowing every thing about the USC   

must be able to prove the relationship is real and you will work or study in the US  with your fiancee

This has been discussed before. I wouldn't really go by that map. Philippines is considered "high-fraud" and K-1 are not difficult to obtain there.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

👍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Ummmmmm..that map is of every single country in the world with the exception of the US. 

The actual list of high fraud countries is here, and Costa Rica is NOT on the list! https://mypathtocitizenship.com/which-countries-are-on-the-uscis-high-fraud-list/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.