A&D25612

How long is the K1 Visa valid for?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Not many I imagine .. but for those few who find themselves needing to do this for some reason, I would think it could almost be the last straw in what has been a challenging process. Needing to delay because if family health issues for example can be very distressing. 

Yeah agreed. Or work situations, schooling etc. Or perhaps just spending as much time with family as possible since it's unlikely to see them again any time soon.  😧

10 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Honestly, for almost everyone, this is much ado about nothing. How many people have their medical more than a couple weeks before their interview, and also try to put off coming to the US until the last possible week or two?

and then folks complain that the AP/EAD takes so long to get.   The K1 folks want it because it is so fast and then realize come moving time they have another 6 to 12 months of waiting.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Easy answer, it is valid to the date printed on the visa when you receive it. be it 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months. Stick to the golden rule and don't make any plans until visa is in hand, then you know. anything else is simple speculation based on this post here, this post there, I hear this, but I saw that.

I get Visas for travel all the time ( Mostly thru work) and they always want to book the flight before visa is in hand, and I keep telling them they are going to get burned sooner or later. they live under the assumption you always get your visa in time why worry, and my response is it's your money, just be aware they could deny me at any time.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Loren Y said:

Easy answer, it is valid to the date printed on the visa when you receive it. be it 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months. Stick to the golden rule and don't make any plans until visa is in hand, then you know. anything else is simple speculation based on this post here, this post there, I hear this, but I saw that.

Unfortunately it seems that  it’s not that simple.  Though it should be For instance , the official DOS information states clearly that the date of the medical may influence this 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html

Individual country and embassy rules seem to override the guidelines 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Unfortunately it seems that  it’s not that simple.  Though it should be For instance , the official DOS information states clearly that the date of the medical may influence this 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html

So your saying that when I get my visa physically in my hand, the date on it could change? I have gotten at least 50 visas over the past 6 years and not once has the ink on the visa magically changed while I was holding the visa in my hand or had it in my passport. It could get invalidated or voided I guess without my knowledge, but I have yet to see the date change on an issued visa.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

So your saying that when I get my visa physically in my hand, the date on it could change? I have gotten at least 50 visas over the past 6 years and not once has the ink on the visa magically changed while I was holding the visa in my hand or had it in my passport. It could get invalidated or voided I guess without my knowledge, but I have yet to see the date change on an issued visa.

Are you saying you have had 50 visas subject to underlying visa medicals exams?  Wow, new VJ record holder 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

53 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I have never heard of the visa expiration date being altered after being affixed to a passport.

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

Easy answer, it is valid to the date printed on the visa when you receive it.

Yes this is the absolute answer.  Can it be less than 6 months from issue?   Yes it can.    This is true for all types of visas.   We once had a Mexican Telecom Exec get a 2 week B1 visa for a meeting. 

The general rule for immigrant visas is 6 months from medical.

28 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Are you saying you have had 50 visas subject to underlying visa medicals exams? 

LOL, out of context.   The USC travels a lot.  I used to run out of space and have to get the added pages and still wouldn't last me 5 years.  I always have two valid passports.  The only medicals I've done are for Africa, Yellow Fever etc.  I've travel or lived in 99 countries.   If I ever had to immigrate here I am sure I'd be in AP for half a decade and wouldn't be able to supply all of my passports.

For everyone else the Golden Rule is true.   Don't pay for anything until the visa is in the passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I think for my wife's visa, they gave us an expiration date based on her medical date. 

For example if you get your medical on March 15 and have your interview on March 21, they will give you a visa that expires on September 15. 

Visa: CR1 (DCF)

2015-06-30  Started dating

2018-02-27  Married

2018-06-08  I-130 filed via DCF

2018-06-12  I-130 Notice of Approval

2018-10-05  Submitted DS-260 online and supplemental documents via CITIC Bank

2018-10-10  DS-260 approved

2018-11-27  Medical exam

2018-12-03  Interview Passed

2018-12-04  Visa issued

2018-12-07  Visa packet and passport picked up from CITIC Bank

Future steps:

May 2019  Move to U.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Shiran said:

But what would Internet be like if we didn't argue in excruciating minutiae about each trivial point and technicality without any regard given to practicality. 

Incorrect 

Just felt like saying that to fit the thread. Good night 

Edited by George & Roth

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, George & Roth said:

Incorrect 

Just felt like saying that to fit the thread. Good night 

Incorrect!!!!

(you forgot the exclamation points)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

because of this i had to check my visa expiration which i thought is 6 months from they issued which is on April 1, well its  6months from my medical date March 12... i see...:yes:

Edited by ourjourney_pc

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

The visa is valid for up until the expiration date printed on the visa. Nothing else.

As for when that should be...

From the FAM directly: 9 FAM 502.7-3(C)(7)(a) https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html#M502_7_3_C_7

"K Visa Validity:  K-1 and K-2 visas should be valid for six months for one entry."

However, also from the FAM: 9 FAM 302.2-3(C)(b) https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030202.html#M302_2_3_A

"Visa Validity:  Notwithstanding the provisions of INA 221(c), you should make sure to limit the validity of the visa to the validity of the medical examination.  For example, if an alien has a medical examination that is only valid for four months from the time of visa issuance, the visa should be valid for only four months."

and (c):

"New Medical Examinations:  Applicants not traveling to the United States within the exam validity period will need to undergo a new medical examination. If the TB portion of the examination has expired before immigration, the entire medical examination (all components, including vaccination, syphilis, mental health/substance abuse, etc. assessment) needs to be repeated at the same time the TB re-evaluation is performed. The expired DS forms should be submitted to the Consular Section along with the complete set of current DS forms for the new medical examination."

The above FAM section also lists some conditions where the medical may be valid for various periods, not just the typical 6 months. It's even possible for the medical results to be valid for later than 6 months from the initial exam.

So the short answer is it is valid for up to 6 months from the date issues. However, it is constrained by the validity period of the medical.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.