robhostein

When people find out you were not born here

91 posts in this topic

Lol, I don’t have this problem but whenever I call any US companies like petco to book a grooming session, it’s so hard to communicate with them! I asked for a 1:30 appointment and she just couldn’t grasp what I was saying! It’s so frustrating. I always just tell my husband to call. We’re both talking English! 

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, PaulMac said:

Don't get me started on this... lol
I moved to US about 6 years ago +-, and i learned English back in Lithuania from cartoons, video games etc, so English is like a second native language. People have no clue that i wasn't born in USA as i have barely noticeable accent, and that can slip thru as a different American accent (NY, vs Midwest etc)
So when they hear me talking in Lithuanian, they go like "Oh you're Russian aren't you?", "no i'm not", "but you speak Russian?" "yes i do", "so you're Russian?", "no i'm not, that was Lithuanian", "but Lithuania speaks Russian?", "NO IT'S LITHUANIAN, WE HAVE OUR OWN LANGUAGE".. then the awkward silence for a bit and they go "so you speak polish then..?", "I was a god D**n LITHUANIAN, ITS NOT POLAND, NOT RUSSIA, NOT BELARUS, NOT UKRAINE. ITS LITHUANIA!".
Then i have to explain to them that Lithuania is Russia, the same way Brazil is Mexico, or Japan and China. Urghhhh..
I have nothing against either of the countries, but knowing the history of LTU, it's kind of insulting to be called Russian or Polish. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.

P.S. To add, i do speak Russian, and Polish lol

You should respond by saying "Oh but you speak English...so you must be English?" to such Americans... :P

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from General Immigration Discussion. _ the OP does not have a immigration question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
18 hours ago, robhostein said:

Every single time I talk to someone, either I recently met them or I've known them for months, the moment they find out I was born in another country, suddenly I'm a different person to them.

They're shocked that I don't have an accent. That I speak such good English. They start asking me questions about my country of origin. If I've ever been there since I left, what languages I speak, if I want to go back. They start talking about political and economic issues about the country as if I still live there. They start recommending me to restaurants and stores that sell food and other items from the county.

I mean basically, as soon as they find out you were not born here, your identity to them is no longer "Rob, the guy I met at the library," but instead becomes "Rob, the guy from Africa" or "Rob, the guy from Honduras." And so every conversation you have they have to bring up something about your country. I mean, this is all fine and good for a few hours, but when its been days, weeks...

I've been here since before I hit puberty. If I wanted to go to my country, I'd have done it years ago and not stayed here. If I wanted food from my country, again, I wouldn't be here.

Is not going to stop. I live in Mexico and I'm Venezuelan, is liek you can never be a local or feel at home. 

If I go to a meeting or let's say a party, from the moment I open my mouth they notice my accent and they start asking questions about the country (and not because of the situation over there), what do you eat there? do you miss your family? etc etc etc

Sometimes I change the subject immediately because I just want to have fun o be distracted and I have had the same conversation like 4549373 times.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

15 hours ago, usmsbow said:

The only people that ask my wife where she is from are Filipinos wondering if she is too (I assume due to her looks and accent). 

Yep, we usually can sense each other lol

15 hours ago, Stel0&Ari said:

Hahaha! It happens I’m from Puerto Rico and people refer to the island as a “country” which is not.

They are like: “How you did you got your visa?” How you speak English fluently? Did you got citizenship thru marriage? 🙄. Puerto Rico is like Washington DC a territory. Oh well 💆🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

Hahahahahahaha that's pretty funny! It's almost as good as a sitcom lol

6 hours ago, PaulMac said:

Don't get me started on this... lol
I moved to US about 6 years ago +-, and i learned English back in Lithuania from cartoons, video games etc, so English is like a second native language. People have no clue that i wasn't born in USA as i have barely noticeable accent, and that can slip thru as a different American accent (NY, vs Midwest etc)
So when they hear me talking in Lithuanian, they go like "Oh you're Russian aren't you?", "no i'm not", "but you speak Russian?" "yes i do", "so you're Russian?", "no i'm not, that was Lithuanian", "but Lithuania speaks Russian?", "NO IT'S LITHUANIAN, WE HAVE OUR OWN LANGUAGE".. then the awkward silence for a bit and they go "so you speak polish then..?", "I was a god D**n LITHUANIAN, ITS NOT POLAND, NOT RUSSIA, NOT BELARUS, NOT UKRAINE. ITS LITHUANIA!".
Then i have to explain to them that Lithuania is Russia, the same way Brazil is Mexico, or Japan and China. Urghhhh..
I have nothing against either of the countries, but knowing the history of LTU, it's kind of insulting to be called Russian or Polish. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.

P.S. To add, i do speak Russian, and Polish lol

You cracked me up lol. This is pretty funny but I feel for you lol. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The best country for any human to be born is the USA IMO. This country is the biggest land of opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

The best country for any human to be born is the USA IMO. This country is the biggest land of opportunity.

Yeah, no kidding this country's big. My home country is just a bit smaller than Texas.

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

19 hours ago, C90 said:

I recently got my EAD, and every interview I have the first question they ask is "why the heck did you trade in the Netherlands for the USA?!" (so much for patriotism lol) I don't really mind, I take it as a compliment.

Although today at work, I couldn't read someone's handwriting and I asked what it said. My co worker read it (it said passed away, but it looked at pet something) and then they asked if I've ever heard of that word.... I know she meant it really well, but it made me feel so dumb. I am fluent in English. So that kinda sucked, but maybe I'm just overthinking lol.

I got the question last week about why my husband turned in The Netherlands for the USA and I just said "For me!".  That being said, he has dual citizenship now, and next step is mine.   We'll move there when I hit retirement age most likely.

My husband is fluent too, and super smart, but sometimes his mind goes blank on a specific word/phrase.   One day I heard him clanging around the house.   I yelled out "what are you doing???"

Hubby: "I am cleaning the blow screen"

Me: "The blow screen?"

Hubby: "Yeah the blow screen."

Me: "WTH is a blow screen?"

Hubby: "You know...the thing in the ceiling that gets the dust out of the house"

Me: "You mean the air filter."

Hubby: "Yeah that!"

Me: "Honey....that doesn't blow, it sucks.  Do I need to explain difference?"  ;)

Edited by mtempelaar

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Being from a different country isn't just for immigrants

Daddy was air force and my late husband IBM (use to mean i've been moved)

lived in 24 states IBM Belgium and IBM Japan and was  born in an airplane 

i am a dam yankee in the south and a half back in tennesse

half back means you once lived in the north and then florida and moved half way back

In some areas i find "if you were not born there ,   it is extremely hard to even make friends"  / they were born together ,  schooled together and now their children are doing the same

I have my favorite states and a few I never want to live in again

Just remind anyone that is rude about this,   "if  you are not a purebred American Indian , u are not from here either"

my grandparents are from Finland,  Germany,   Scotland and 1 is welch  and combo Iroquois Indian 

Be a little happy that anyone asks and cares as there are places in the US where the neighbors and coworkers don't care about anyone   but themselves

heard a southern man once when he was asked "You from here?"   say no "i am not from anywhere,   I still live here"

gotta  laugh it all off

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

I got the question last week about why my husband turned in The Netherlands for the USA and I just said "For me!".  That being said, he has dual citizenship now, and next step is mine.   We'll move there when I hit retirement age most likely.

My husband is fluent too, and super smart, but sometimes his mind goes blank on a specific word/phrase.   One day I heard him clanging around the house.   I yelled out "what are you doing???"

Hubby: "I am cleaning the blow screen"

Me: "The blow screen?"

Hubby: "Yeah the blow screen."

Me: "WTH is a blow screen?"

Hubby: "You know...the thing in the ceiling that gets the dust out of the house"

Me: "You mean the air filter."

Hubby: "Yeah that!"

Me: "Honey....that doesn't blow, it sucks.  Do I need to explain difference?"  ;)

Lol, I have that sometimes too! I even read on fb that Americans forget words and start describing them in the most ridiculous ways.

And that's the thing, it has nothing to do with being fluent (you'll understand) but a lot of people are like 'oh she's not from here so she doesn't know the word'. No, I just couldn't think of the word, it doesn't mean I don't know it!

Got the question today if I knew the term 'finding a needle in a haystack'. Maybe I should start telling them we start getting English in school when we're about 10 and I'm fluent lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I am from guayaquil

someone says come over here

where you come from

I said the other side of the room 

where you from

he said im italian

no one says i am american  so ask them about their country not the US 

my wife says turn it around

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, Cathi said:

I don't think people have bad intentions, I think they truly have an interest in you, your culture and where you're from. You're making it sound like people are doing it to annoy you on purpose and I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

I travel to my husband's home country every year and everywhere I go people ask me about the US, the culture and especially the politics (especially since the 2016 election), including people in his family I've known for over a decade. People are truly interested and I don't mind when they ask.

and many do not travel outside the US

i find that out when i talks to them

Sorry Rob. I know how you feel. People are like deer caught in the headlights when they realise you're different. And let's not forget that most Americans never get a passport or visit a foreign country. It really sucks but I guess it's best to just carry on challenging their perceptions of what it means to be American. 

On a side note. I'm a British citizen, recently naturalised but here since I was 6 years old. I'm no longer very polite when people repeatedly ask me what nationality I am or where I come from. When I reply "I'm British, I grew up in Shropshire" and they ask "Yeah but where are you really from? Where were you born? Where are your parents from?" I don't think twice about dismantling their idiotic questions with a snarky remark. 

We are more than the place where we were born. I don't know what about that concept is so difficult for people to understand in 2019.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.