robhostein

When people find out you were not born here

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, millefleur said:

When I lived in Russia, it was shocking to me that most Russians overwhelmingly think the entire US is one big California filled with hot weather and sun all the time...Recently I knew a Russian who traveled here on a tourist visa and visited the Midwest because a friend lived there....she packed nothing but warm spring clothing only to be met with a snowy polar vortex to her shock. She had to borrow friends' clothing in order not to freeze. That quickly shattered the "Entire America = Southern California" preconception.

I remember when I arrived in America for the first time. I was a child, and it was summer time. Leaving my country, it was kinda chilly there. The connecting airplanes and airports all had air conditioning (I had no idea what that was) of some sort. So there I was, with my parents at the American airport in Washington DC.

I had my jacket on cause it still felt cold. As we prepared to walk outside, my parents told me I'm not gonna need the jacket. But I was like, no, I want to keep it. So as we stepped outside, this heat wave hit my face like it was no joke. It was like as if I had stepped into an oven. My god, I had never experienced anything like that. It was like 88F. My parents laughed as I took of the jacket as fast as possible.

It took a couple months to get used to the heat. And, surprisingly, summer is my favorite time of the year. I love the heat.

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, robhostein said:

I remember when I arrived in America for the first time. I was a child, and it was summer time. Leaving my country, it was kinda chilly there. The connecting airplanes and airports all had air conditioning (I had no idea what that was) of some sort. So there I was, with my parents at the American airport in Washington DC.

I had my jacket on cause it still felt cold. As we prepared to walk outside, my parents told me I'm not gonna need the jacket. But I was like, no, I want to keep it. So as we stepped outside, this heat wave hit my face like it was no joke. It was like as if I had stepped into an oven. My god, I had never experienced anything like that. It was like 88F. My parents laughed as I took of the jacket as fast as possible.

It took a couple months to get used to the heat. And, surprisingly, summer is my favorite time of the year. I love the heat.

When I first joined the military, I was flying from Seattle to Ft. Sill, OK. I never new what freezing rain was until I went there and this was in February.

While there, I met a few Samoans who only had shorts/shirt and no cold weather gear. Obviously where would they get such clothes from their home island. It was funny to see though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Even when traveling domestically, I find www.weather.com to be of invaluable use.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 3/11/2019 at 11:51 PM, TBoneTX said:

Not long after Mrs. T-B. got here, I took her to the local Mexican supermarket, and I told her to ask the employees if they could identify where she was from on the basis of her dialect.

The guesses were "Honduras," "Colombia," and "not Mexico."

When she said "Ecuador," one guy actually exclaimed, "Really?  I thought all Ecuadorians were ugly!"  Mrs. T-B. & I concluded that the guy had only seen pictures of those stubby Ecu Indians who wear the colorful hats.

I've been told several times that "I'm too white to be Venezuelan". 

Like... What that does even mean? 

Also here in Mexico I've been asked really crazy things like "Do you have sodas in there?"...

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 3/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, ronniebreda said:

Hah! This is my husband's life almost anytime we meet anyone new. He has a thick accent and talks very fast, so it usually catches people off guard when he first says something and then they go straight to, "So where are you from?" 
We live in the Midwest and haven't got any unfriendly comments about it yet. He does say, "I am from The Netherlands, Holland" because most people have no idea where or what The Netherlands is. If people still look confused then he throws in the, "windmills and wooden shoes place." 

I personally have felt like the curiosity of Americans is kind and welcoming..being open to different places. From my experiences, I (the American spouse) have had many more rude situations about being an American in the Netherlands (the Dutch are blunt), than what my husband has experienced in the US. 

Hihi, it has been exactly the same for me in the Netherlands. I guess people are kindof the same everywhere - when they find out you're not local, they got all kinds of questions. Which is fine, only sometimes I feel like there's too much focus on that. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

So whenever my husband and I are out somewhere, people manage to spot from a distance that I am not a local so to speak, I don't know how they do it but they do.. They will start talking to me/us to find out and they think the accent is soooo sweet (OMG...). I don't mind people asking questions about my country though. I do agree that it is sometimes hard that your nationality makes you interesting rather than the fact that you are you.. Some funny statements I have heard:

"Oh, you are from The Netherlands! That is great! I speak some German" or "I have been in Italy"

"So are the roadsigns in English in The Netherlands?" Me: "No" Them: "So in what language are they?" Me: "Dutch?" Them: "Wow, that is crazy!" 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

8 hours ago, jeaniecz said:

Hihi, it has been exactly the same for me in the Netherlands. I guess people are kindof the same everywhere - when they find out you're not local, they got all kinds of questions. Which is fine, only sometimes I feel like there's too much focus on that. 

I think it also depends what part of the Netherlands you are in. The tourist cities (Amsterdam and Delft) are much more open to foreigners. However, the south part of the country where my husband is from - nope! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was born in the Czech republic and have been living in the Netherlands for 10 years now, I speak fluent Dutch, but of course with an accent. So often, the first question people ask me after I introduced myself is where I am from. I noticed I most often receive 3 types of an answer:

1. Ah, Czech republic, I've been there, Prague is nice, beer good etc etc. 

Me: Thank you, how kind. 

2. Ah, so you are here because there's war in your country, how terrible, is it much better here than in your home country? 

Me: I'm sorry, I have no idea what are you talking about. (Obviously that person has no idea where my home country even is, which is OK, but why make such assumptions?)

3. Ah, I thought you were from Poland, but that's pretty much the same, the Eastern block, uh.

Me: Ahhh, not really, actually. (thinking: thanks, ###)

I think it's nice if people are interested to know where I come from and I don't mind telling them, I just think they judge me accordingly with the image they have of my country, which is soms quite off (nr 2 and 3). And I don't think it's polite to ask someone where they're from right after you shook their hand....maybe just have a little conversation first and give it some time. But I must say that in general I find the Dutch very open-minded and even if quite direct, accepting and nice.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

These are too funny! 

Haven't moved just yet, just visited a lot, but once had a cashier at Panera Bread genuinely exclaim after hearing my accent: "Oh you're from London? That's my favourite country!!" 

Did not know how to respond to that! (And I'm from Dorset, not London!) 

Also had people ask:

- "Do you have computers there too?"

- "Do you have electricity?" 

- "*Oliver Twist style cockney accent*" 

- "Did it cost a lot of Euros to get here?"

- "Do you know my cousin Dave? From Manchester" (I've never been to or near Manchester) 

Of course the vast majority of people are really nice and respectful asking questions, but some of them I just don't know how to respond! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
27 minutes ago, futurecoloradogrl said:

These are too funny! 

Haven't moved just yet, just visited a lot, but once had a cashier at Panera Bread genuinely exclaim after hearing my accent: "Oh you're from London? That's my favourite country!!" 

Did not know how to respond to that! (And I'm from Dorset, not London!) 

Also had people ask:

- "Do you have computers  

Of course the vast majority of people are really nice and respectful asking questions, but some of them I just don't know how to respond! 

Nod , smile and back away slowly.. 

🤪

Timeline
16 hours ago, futurecoloradogrl said:

Of course the vast majority of people are really nice and respectful

We should all deferentially bow and say, "Welcome to the Colonies." :P 

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 7/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, futurecoloradogrl said:

(And I'm from Dorset, not London!) 

Dorset girl here too! 

I have been here since 2016 and I still don’t know how to respond to “I love your accent”. If someone says “I love your shoes” or “I love that purse you have” I can usually answer with something like “oh thank you - I got it at Macy’s last week” or something, anything, to not kill the conversation. But “I love your accent” is guaranteed to have me speechless. I just do not know what to say. 

My experience is that people here expect immigrants to be from developing countries, people who came here for economic reasons. Whilst that’s true for many immigrants, they can’t get their heads round the fact that there are immigrants here from the UK and other industrialized, developed nations. Here’s an example. I work with a woman who came here from Mexico. She’s married to a USC, just as I am. Our stories are pretty similar. She has a Mexican accent. I have a British accent. If she answers the phone at work the person on the other end doesn’t think anything of it. If I answer the phone the person on the other end goes silent, then I hear something like “oh I didn’t realise I was calling overseas. I need to speak to someone in Seattle”. When I tell them I’m in the Seattle office they act like they don’t believe me. My Mexican co-worker has never once been questioned about her location. People are fully prepared to hear and see people of Hispanic origins here but a British person throws them completely off. 

I have been treated as the performing monkey once too and that was awful. A caller at work did the old “love your accent” thing (sigh...it’s soooo old now) and then said “I’m putting you on speaker phone because everyone needs to hear this beautiful accent. Keep talking”. She was at an airport. I refused to say anything except “could you please take me off speaker phone. Thank you”. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 hours ago, JFH said:

Dorset girl here too! 

I have been here since 2016 and I still don’t know how to respond to “I love your accent”. If someone says “I love your shoes” or “I love that purse you have” I can usually answer with something like “oh thank you - I got it at Macy’s last week” or something, anything, to not kill the conversation. But “I love your accent” is guaranteed to have me speechless. I just do not know what to say. 

My experience is that people here expect immigrants to be from developing countries, people who came here for economic reasons. Whilst that’s true for many immigrants, they can’t get their heads round the fact that there are immigrants here from the UK and other industrialized, developed nations. Here’s an example. I work with a woman who came here from Mexico. She’s married to a USC, just as I am. Our stories are pretty similar. She has a Mexican accent. I have a British accent. If she answers the phone at work the person on the other end doesn’t think anything of it. If I answer the phone the person on the other end goes silent, then I hear something like “oh I didn’t realise I was calling overseas. I need to speak to someone in Seattle”. When I tell them I’m in the Seattle office they act like they don’t believe me. My Mexican co-worker has never once been questioned about her location. People are fully prepared to hear and see people of Hispanic origins here but a British person throws them completely off. 

I have been treated as the performing monkey once too and that was awful. A caller at work did the old “love your accent” thing (sigh...it’s soooo old now) and then said “I’m putting you on speaker phone because everyone needs to hear this beautiful accent. Keep talking”. She was at an airport. I refused to say anything except “could you please take me off speaker phone. Thank you”. 

Small world! You could always say about your accent, "Thanks, I got it in England!" - or "Thanks, you too!" 😉 I hope you're not missing home too much and adjusted easily - it is really beautiful here! Especially with my move coming up soon, it'll be a real change going from a literal stone's throw from the sea shore in a small-ish town to high up in the mountains living downtown in a busy city.

I'm sorry people have acted so strangely about the way you speak! It must be really frustrating feel like you have to 'perform' for them - ie. "say something British!" - who thought that was a useful thing to comment on - and what do they expect you to say?! 

For me accent-wise, I already have a slightly 'mixed' accent probably due to having quite a lot of American cousins and aunt I was very close with when I was young, plus talking to my fiance so much - but many people still don't understand! I feel like I have to slightly change the way I say things to sound more 'American' so strangers over there can understand me. It feels almost cringey to put on a fake accent briefly but asking the waitress for 'wah-der' instead of 'water' makes life easier in the long run! And ordering anything over the phone is a nightmare - countless times I've had to hand it over to my fiance to just let him do it, or point to him at a restaurant so he can order for me. I suppose that people who hear the same accents 24/7 really have to try to adjust and listen carefully when someone speaks in an accent they're not familiar with. 

Timeline
15 hours ago, JFH said:

“I love your accent” is guaranteed to have me speechless. I just do not know what to say. 

"When General Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown, I was allowed to stay as part of the agreement."

See how speechless this will leave all us Colonists.

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I'm from North Dakota and people think I'm from Germany because of my accent. Some people don't actually know where ND is and others assume we still live in the 1800s based on their questions to which I once replied "well we just got indoor plumbing last month, it's so convenient". So this happens to even US-born people too!

On the other hand, people think my Nicaraguan husband is Native American because he has little to no Latino accent, only on some words, and are quite surprised to learn he's not from the US (presumably Miami or Cali) and just moved here 3 years ago.

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.