Dantrolene

Is it worth it to be a US citizen now?

87 posts in this topic

I just got my permanent GC for 10 yrs. Should I apply for citizenship or not yet ?  Is it helpful to be US citizen if I want to live amd work some time overseas ? Is it gonna yield more taxes vs. being just a resident ?  Pros and cons  please ? Other than being able to vote. 

Appreciate all thoughts. 

1 minute ago, millefleur said:

I don't know what country you are from, but in the case of our situation, getting US citizenship is a huge benefit because it opens up global travel in terms of no longer requiring a visa to places like Schengen European countries and many others. The US passport is one of the best in the world in terms of travel benefits.

The other obvious benefit I can see is that, if for some reason you relocated abroad outside of the US and wanted to return down the road, you would not have to go through the paperwork nightmare that is US immigration is because you'd be a citizen. I know one of the major drawbacks to a US passport is that citizens are required to pay taxes even if they live/work abroad, but in my opinion the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

I agree with you when it comes to travel benefits and easy to return...but the taxation part is the only thing that is bothering me. Why should i pay double taxes ?  I am not sure if being just a US resident will be treated the same as a citizen when it comes to paying taxes while working abroad. Any accurate data ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Removed duplicate thread and moved this thread from Passports, etc. - What to do now that you are a US citizen to US Citizenship General Discussion**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

I agree with you when it comes to travel benefits and easy to return...but the taxation part is the only thing that is bothering me. Why should i pay double taxes ?  I am not sure if being just a US resident will be treated the same as a citizen when it comes to paying taxes while working abroad. Any accurate data ? 

All USC and LPR are required to declare all worldwide income... not the same as paying tax on all income as there are many country based exceptions granted by the IRS, 

1 hour ago, Dantrolene said:

Actually, taxes are treated the same between USC and PR. Why wouldn't it. As a permanent resident of the US, you are considered a tax resident. You must declare/file (and pay) taxes whether it is earned inside the US or not. So, you might as well become a US citizen because living and working in a another country as a PR can lead to you losing your residency status. As a US citizen, you can live and work outside the US as long as you like.

Here is a short summary from a law website that discusses paying worldwide taxes as a green card holder (permanent resident).

https://immigration.findlaw.com/visas/immigration-and-taxes-who-has-to-pay-u-s-taxes.html

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Actually, taxes are treated the same between USC and PR. Why wouldn't it. As a permanent resident of the US, you are considered a tax resident. You must declare/file (and pay) taxes whether it is earned inside the US or not. So, you might as well become a US citizen because living and working in a another country as a PR can lead to you losing your residency status. As a US citizen, you can live and work outside the US as long as you like.

Here is a short summary from a law website that discusses paying worldwide taxes as a green card holder (permanent resident).

https://immigration.findlaw.com/visas/immigration-and-taxes-who-has-to-pay-u-s-taxes.html

Since it's the same when it comes to reporting and paying taxes. Is there any restrictions by being a citizen from the government or worldwide when it comes to laws and child support and alimony etc ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Since it's the same when it comes to reporting and paying taxes. Is there any restrictions by being a citizen from the government or worldwide when it comes to laws and child support and alimony etc ? 

Something like 75% of child support payments come through employers - they garnish non-custodial parents' paychecks.  The various State child support agencies are very good at collecting through employers. So whether you're a citizen or an LPR and you work for a W-4 based employer (which is almost all of them), chances are you're going to pay child support. If you have your own business or work on contract (not for contract employer who are almost all W-4 based) then you have a chance of skating on child support, but even then the courts are going to try to come after you for the money.

If I was a green card holder and considering re-locating sometime in the future, I'd definitely apply for citizenship, sooner than later. Your return to the US is guaranteed that way.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Ok so seems like citizenship won't affect me negatively on personal or business or career or location  perspective.  It seems to be a benefit all  the time to be a dual citizen. Plus travel benefits. Thanks for the relief guys. Now I feel I am not stranded or targeted more by being a citizen. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

exempt foreign income is well over $100,000

but more important,  you get to vote and hopefully there will be new  immigration (legal and illegal ) talk from all politicians

and this is so important to us

as far as jury duty goes,  it is disappointing when you see how the system works as  it is slow and there is too much evidence not allowed and too many plea bargains and the system  is lopsided and favors those with money  and high power attorneys  (just my opinion)

but i get called for jury duty in every city and state i have lived in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
48 minutes ago, JFH said:

Jury duty. That’s one of my reasons for taking citizenship later this year. I’m fascinated with legal process. 

I waited 12 years in Canada to be selected for jury duty and it never came.  I moved to the US and a month later, the notice came.  I was so angry.  Like, of course it would come then.  I was no longer a resident so I legally couldn’t go to it.

I plan on applying for citizenship when my window opens in 11 months (who’s counting) solely for the hopes I will be selected for jury duty.  Haha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.