Missloneli

NOt disclosing previous marriage

12 posts in this topic

Hello I need some advice so me and my fiancé got our noa2 approved and are now waiting for the interview. However the person who filled out our petition didn’t put the beneficiary’s previous marriage....what should we do we are stressed out. He’s no longer married. She we continue with the case ? Will they find out ? Or should we tell the consular officer? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, Missloneli said:

Hello I need some advice so me and my fiancé got our noa2 approved and are now waiting for the interview. However the person who filled out our petition didn’t put the beneficiary’s previous marriage....what should we do we are stressed out. He’s no longer married. She we continue with the case ? Will they find out ? Or should we tell the consular officer? 

Did you check the application before it was sent off? How is it that you find this out now? NOA2 takes a pretty long time.

Anyway, this is pretty bad. They will find out, he HAS to tell this to USCIS. If not, he'll be lying and prob will come inadmissible for any visa ever. They approved the petition based on the info you guys gave them. Since this is new info, there's a chance that they have to reconsider the application before sending it off to NVC

I would call USCIS first thing in the morning to figure out what to do. Maybe someone else on this forum has experience with this and can give you a more clear answer. Good luck in the rest of your journey, hope it all works out for you guys.

42 minutes ago, Missloneli said:

Who did you use to prepare all of this? I am asking this because this is a big oversight. 

Even if you paid someone else to prepare it, you are still 100% responsible for the content of your petition, as evidenced by your signature.  

Not disclosing it will make things worse in the long run.  Does he have a final divorce decree?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Missloneli said:

Did you not send in the divorce papers with the petition?  If you did then I'm sure they figured it out. If not then  you need to withdraw the petition. Not submitting the divorce papers at the time of filling will cause a denial at the interview. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

you can try to contact the consulate and have that documentation ready and let them know you forgot to add it, but you have the decree for them.

whatever you do, do not ignore it, and try to make it right before the interview. I do not know whether it will work, but if not disclosed it will be most likely an outright denial, you might have a chance if you talk to them and explain it was not intentional or that you just forgot to include it. Not sure how that will affect you though.

If it is still at NVC you might have a better chance of it being amended or corrected, but they may send it back to USCIS

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

3 hours ago, C90 said:

Did you check the application before it was sent off? How is it that you find this out now? NOA2 takes a pretty long time.

Anyway, this is pretty bad. They will find out, he HAS to tell this to USCIS. If not, he'll be lying and prob will come inadmissible for any visa ever. They approved the petition based on the info you guys gave them. Since this is new info, there's a chance that they have to reconsider the application before sending it off to NVC

I would call USCIS first thing in the morning to figure out what to do. Maybe someone else on this forum has experience with this and can give you a more clear answer. Good luck in the rest of your journey, hope it all works out for you guys.

The petition was prepaired by a woman who helps ppl with immigrant purposes. She was helping my mom get her citizenship and my mom referred me to her. My mistake was I didn’t check everything before sending it off. She just filled everything out and afterwards mailed it. When I recieved the noa1 I noticed my name and my fiancé’s names were both misspelled regardless of the fact that she had copies of our passports...so I was able to fix those. I told her about my fiancé’s pervious marriage but at the time he didn’t have the divorce decree with him but he had been divorced for 3 years. So we didn’t sent the decree with the petition so I thought we’d receive a RFE for it but we just got approved so that’s why I know she put single. 

9 minutes ago, Missloneli said:

The petition was prepaired by a woman who helps ppl with immigrant purposes. She was helping my mom get her citizenship and my mom referred me to her. My mistake was I didn’t check everything before sending it off. She just filled everything out and afterwards mailed it. When I recieved the noa1 I noticed my name and my fiancé’s names were both misspelled regardless of the fact that she had copies of our passports...so I was able to fix those. I told her about my fiancé’s pervious marriage but at the time he didn’t have the divorce decree with him but he had been divorced for 3 years. So we didn’t sent the decree with the petition so I thought we’d receive a RFE for it but we just got approved so that’s why I know she put single. 

Hmm........    I believe that lie may end up being worse than simply forgetting to include the decree.  

And why did you file without having all of the documentation at the time?  This is exactly the reason for the USCIS policy change to deny incomplete petitions, rather than RFE.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Can you clarify a bit by answering below questions what you mean by 'didn't put'?

What did you select for following in the petition?

Part 2, Information about beneficiary

6. Single. Married, Divorced or Widowed?

34. Has your beneficiary been previously married? Yes or No?

Did beneficiary have child from previous marriage?

Not disclosing previous marital status will give you big headache somewhere along your immigration journey.

Edited by nastra30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.