Lankyshakes

Can a K1 visa be denied if we only met in person once?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here’s a brief summary of our situation. 

We met online in 2015 playing Xbox live together. I’m in the U.K and he’s in the USA. After flirting and talking about long distance relationships for a while, we knew we wanted a life together.

so we committed to a long distance relationship with the intent to marry in June 2017. 

I’m not rich and neither is he. So after scraping together enough money (about $2000) for a visit to the USA we spent time together and did everything we needed for the I-129f (take pictures together, written statements etc.)

We spend hours together each day, on Xbox, FaceTiming, messaging because that’s the best we can do.

Would there be any reason to deny us based on only meeting in person once?

Thank you in advance for any help. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

The requirement is to meet in person  within the last two years. If more times were needed, they would require "Meet three times" for example.  

33 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

We met online in 2015 playing Xbox live together. I’m in the U.K and he’s in the USA. After flirting and talking about long distance relationships for a while, we knew we wanted a life together.

so we committed to a long distance relationship with the intent to marry in June 2017. 

I’m not rich and neither is he. So after scraping together enough money (about $2000) for a visit to the USA we spent time together and did everything we needed for the I-129f (take pictures together, written statements etc.)

We spend hours together each day, on Xbox, FaceTiming, messaging because that’s the best we can do.

USCIS will see this on a regular basis and understand not everyone will have the funds to do numerous trips.

As long as you have met once in the past 2 years as required for the K1, you'll be good. 

I don't believe the UK is classed as a high fraud country and as long as you have proof on ongoing communication etc as it seems you do, you'll be good to go! 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

Yes. Highly unlikely though since you are from the U.K. if you were from Morocco for example good chance you would be denied.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lankyshakes said:

Definitely not an issue at uscis  stage you've met the criteria. Some countries it may be an issue at the consulate but I don't believe the u.k is one of them you'll only have a small language barrier with you speaking the queens English and your partner speaking American lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you met for a day, probably, for a few months probably not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It’s a two-part process. You meet the requirements for the petition to be approved but an approved petition is not an approved visa. The visa will be approved or denied based on a variety of factors. 

I’m from the U.K. My advice would be to shop around for better air fares. $2000? You were seriously ripped off. Obviously you only need the air fare, no accommodation costs, etc. You should be able to visit for a couple of hundred. I visited over 40 times from the U.K. before I moved here - and that was to Seattle, which is closer to Tokyo than to London. Look at carriers like Norwegian and Wow going into major hubs and then onwards with Internet-based carriers such as Spirit and Southwest. I work for an airline so didn’t always pay for my tickets here but when I did I got to Seattle and back for no more than £300 a time. Flying from Dublin or through Oslo will also save a packet. You need to be creative. 

You won’t just need more visits to please the embassy for your visa approval, it’s for your own peace of mind that you really do want to marry this person also. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

with few exceptions from high fraud countries, no, meeting once is, insanely, all that is required.

I've said this many times, but personally, I think that is absurd and should be different. No way in hades would I marry someone I only met once. While it does work for some, for many others (I would seriously love to know the stats for number of times met/ length of time known and k1/divorce rates  but they are not available) it does not end well.

talking to them and playing video games all the time is not the same as living together and being married and facing LIFE together. Especially if, as you mentioned, money is super tight. You will be responsible for supporting them until EAD or AOS is approved. After, too, if you want to be technical.

best of luck to you, no matter your decision.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No reason to deny, but they will want lots of chat records etc. I wish you guys the best but what is your income situation ? you do realize that once here you will be spending at least 1000 a month on health insurance, etc for the 4 to 8 months before you will even be able to work, as well as all the immigration fees that will be coming up. If you think scraping together 2000 was tough, maybe you guys should wait until you have some savings before taking this step

Timeline

CR1 makes much more sense in this case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

CR1 makes much more sense in this case.

in which case theyd have to fork up the $ for another trip ANYWAYS

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
8 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

in which case theyd have to fork up the $ for another trip ANYWAYS

Lot less than 6 months unemployment.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Lot less than 6 months unemployment.

yeah but the whole point of the 864 is to prove you can financially support whoever it is you're sponsoring. Its a crazy notion, i know, radical thinking, but if you cant support without the additional income, maybe you need to wait until you CAN.

paul will go stir crazy waiting for his EAD but no worries about paying the bills or buying food or doing something fun from time to time.

I'd hate to add up how much we've spent in travel expenses and time off work over the past 3 years. EASILY looking at 5 figures and not on the low end of it lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.