Lankyshakes

Can a K1 visa be denied if we only met in person once?

33 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Boiler said:

CR1 makes much more sense in this case.

I’ve yet to find a case involving someone from a VWP country where it doesn’t. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Mine was near $20k

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Mine was near $20k

yup. none of this is cheap. we have 3 years of once, oftentimes twice a month visits.

i refuse to add it all up but knowing how much each visits costs in lost wages and travel (even when driving) and other incidentals puts us at higher than that, even with a rough estimate LOLOLOL

yowzers. lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
6 hours ago, jdaveh said:

No reason to deny, but they will want lots of chat records etc. I wish you guys the best but what is your income situation ? you do realize that once here you will be spending at least 1000 a month on health insurance, etc for the 4 to 8 months before you will even be able to work, as well as all the immigration fees that will be coming up. If you think scraping together 2000 was tough, maybe you guys should wait until you have some savings before taking this step

$1000 per month for health insurance is absolutely not true!

OP, you will always get the worst case scenario (which is not a bad thing) when you ask a question such as the one you did.

listen, I am poor right now and my fiancé arrives this Saturday!

I am poor because I graduated 2016 with a teachings degree and just have not been hired a school a permanent teacher yet. I try every season :)  But we did not wait to file. Him working in 6-8 months will be far better (both of us working) than just me working.

We will manage until my honey can work in 6 months. We are prepared to live a certain way and by certain means for a couple of years.

As long as you are being extremely realistic with how your finances will effect you for a year probably two, and you make a genuinely and daily effort NOT to let this get to your relationship (pp is so correct , money problems is a major cause of divorce, but this is true for k-1 couples AND all others as well) then you can do this. :)

Edited by <3T&M<3

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Any case from a VWP country? 

Yes. I’ve never made it a secret that I personally see no purpose - these days - for a K-1 for those who are VWP-eligible. Why pay hundreds to be able to visit the USA and get married when there’s a $14 ESTA approval for that? In 2016 when I did my spouse visa there were folks going from NOA1 to interview for K-1 in less than 90 days. I can see how that can appeal to those who would rather be living together quickly with no real status but at least they could be in the same bed each night than waiting 10 months (as I did) to be able to live here “properly” with a job right away, travel ability, etc. There are plenty who follow heart rather than head. 

I don’t even get the argument about not wanting to be apart once married. Apart is apart, at least it was for us. It was no easier or difficult before or after marriage. But those extra few months were worth it when I arrived and could get on with settling into my new life right away without planning a wedding with no job and without the AOS process hanging over me. 

Not being able to work for several months would not only cost me over $20,000 in lost wages but would drive me to despair. I didn’t spend years at university to sit at home and be “left behind” by the industry. 

Maybe a retired couple with no desire to travel overseas for several months and who doesn’t mind giving USCIS more money than they need to might see an advantage? But that’s not how I want to spend my retirement! 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 hours ago, jdaveh said:

No reason to deny, but they will want lots of chat records etc. I wish you guys the best but what is your income situation ? you do realize that once here you will be spending at least 1000 a month on health insurance, etc for the 4 to 8 months before you will even be able to work, as well as all the immigration fees that will be coming up. If you think scraping together 2000 was tough, maybe you guys should wait until you have some savings before taking this step

Chat records are NOT required for the I-129f petition (especially for a low-fraud country), and in my opinion they simply add processing time, as the adjudicator is obligated to weed through all that unnecessary paper.  We sent NO chats or correspondence of any type, nor even any photos together.  The best evidence is passport stamps.

And where are you getting the $1k/month quote for insurance?  Insurance cost varies widely.  Adding a spouse to an excellent employer-based plan can cost only $150-200/month extra.  

Timeline

Sounds very unlikely the OP has access to a good employer policy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

Yes. I’ve never made it a secret that I personally see no purpose - these days - for a K-1 for those who are VWP-eligible.

So here's your first VWP case with a reason why CR1 didn't appeal. 

We didn't want to marry immediately or spring the M word on our families just yet. So we could file an I-129F and break the news at an appropriate time (in person together) while it was processing. 

We had plenty of  money so working was not a factor for either of us. We were able to travel and just enjoy daily life together a year earlier than marrying six months down the road and then waiting on the CR1.

It worked out well and we have never regretted the K1 decision. But for those who require a joint sponsor and have to live with family because they can't afford a place of their own, I have seen a lot of not so happily ever afters. 

1 hour ago, JFH said:

I don’t even get the argument about not wanting to be apart once married. Apart is apart, at least it was for us.

Nope, I don't get that reason either. 

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

Sounds very unlikely the OP has access to a good employer policy.

Well yes, but my point was that broadly stating that insurance will cost $1k/month was inaccurate.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Well yes, but my point was that broadly stating that insurance will cost $1k/month was inaccurate.

If you are heavily subsidised by your Employer absolutely will be less.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 11/25/2018 at 2:32 PM, <3T&M<3 said:

$1000 per month for health insurance is absolutely not true!

there was an etc after that. I was speaking generally. However $1000 a month of expenses for a couple is not a ridiculous amount. Not to mention the fare here, the upcoming AOS, ROC etcetera fees. 

Married couples pay an average of $717 in annual premiums. They also have an average deductible of $8,113

This is an expensive process

I wasn't trying to tell them not to do it, just trying to make a fellow VJer aware of what was coming up. Sorry if you disagree but I was being realistic. My wife and I planned and planned and saved before we took this step and it was still difficult to maintain budget

Is beneficiary young? What will auto insurance cost ??? Please do a little math and get a realistic number of what your minimum living expenses will be and discuss it with your fiance/spouse before the big step )))))

On 11/25/2018 at 2:22 AM, JFH said:

I’m from the U.K. My advice would be to shop around for better air fares. $2000? You were seriously ripped off. Obviously you only need the air fare, no accommodation costs, etc. You should be able to visit for a couple of hundred. I visited over 40 times from the U.K. before I moved here - and that was to Seattle, which is closer to Tokyo than to London. Look at carriers like Norwegian and Wow going into major hubs and then onwards with Internet-based carriers such as Spirit and Southwest. I work for an airline so didn’t always pay for my tickets here but when I did I got to Seattle and back for no more than £300 a time. Flying from Dublin or through Oslo will also save a packet. You need to be creative. 

No answer to OP but I have to ask how @JFH is finding these cheap flights! Qe are going from Belfast, UK to SLC, UT and also pay minimum of $1k per flight and that's a 'deal'. I've used hopper, skyscanner, orbitz, trip.com, hipmunk, BA and unless we are willing to travel for longer than 1.5days that's the average. Please help, oh wise one! ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Juls801&Gtr1000 said:

No answer to OP but I have to ask how @JFH is finding these cheap flights! Qe are going from Belfast, UK to SLC, UT and also pay minimum of $1k per flight and that's a 'deal'. I've used hopper, skyscanner, orbitz, trip.com, hipmunk, BA and unless we are willing to travel for longer than 1.5days that's the average. Please help, oh wise one! ;)

If I were to guess... don't fly from Belfast from SLC.

Really quick searching found Dublin to SLC for under $700.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I wouldn't use a secondary site when buying beneficiaries ticket.  Find the cheap flight and then go directly to airline selling it.

if you do search for reviews on any one of those sky scanner sites you can read hundreds of stories about people who went to take their flight and the ticket just "wasn't there for them" and no refund.

it happens! Maybe not common but it does and could happen ;/ 

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.