40 posts in this topic

Hello VJ''s . So my conditional GC expired on 02/04/18 i sent my package on Dec 2017 , I got my extension letter and June 18th 2018 i got  a notification saying that to process my case faster they have move it to California  Service Center. i have two question today . A couple days ago i was out the country when i was entering to US the officer say that she was going to send me to additional security checkup because my GC expired in Feb 4th 2018 and I still don't have my permanent GC.  I TOLD her that's why they gave me the extension letter while they process my case.  My question is,  can they do that? my Letter will expire Feb 4th 2019 I thought i was OK to travel with no problem. my SECOND QUESTION IS,  I have a friend that is going through the same process than me.  she got her extension letter and it will expired on august she hasn't gotten her permanent GC yet but she already applied for US citizenship . Is that possible or legal?

Thank you in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Mavel, 

I will leave the experts to answer the first part of your question. On the LAST part, I was told by an immigration attorney that once your apply to remove the condition on your GC, with or without approval, you can file for citizenship after 2.9yrs after receiving your First GC. 

In you case,  9 months after 02/04/18, you are eligible to apply for citizenship.

According to the immigration lawyer, USCIS may adjudicate both cases on the same date.  

So yes , it's possible and legal as long as you are eligible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ras Ous said:

Hi Mavel, 

I will leave the experts to answer the first part of your question. On the LAST part, I was told by an immigration attorney that once your apply to remove the condition on your GC, with or without approval, you can file for citizenship after 2.9yrs after receiving your First GC. 

In you case,  9 months after 02/04/18, you are eligible to apply for citizenship.

According to the immigration lawyer, USCIS may adjudicate both cases on the same date.  

agree on this too. it is possible to file for naturalization, before the ROC process is finished. the law allows this as long as you qualify and fulfill the timeline  of the 3 year rule.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 minutes ago, mavel said:

Hello VJ''s . So my conditional GC expired on 02/04/18 i sent my package on Dec 2017 , I got my extension letter and June 18th 2018 i got  a notification saying that to process my case faster they have move it to California  Service Center. i have two question today . A couple days ago i was out the country when i was entering to US the officer say that she was going to send me to additional security checkup because my GC expired in Feb 4th 2018 and I still don't have my permanent GC.  I TOLD her that's why they gave me the extension letter while they process my case.  My question is,  can they do that? my Letter will expire Feb 4th 2019 I thought i was OK to travel with no problem. my SECOND QUESTION IS,  I have a friend that is going through the same process than me.  she got her extension letter and it will expired on august she hasn't gotten her permanent GC yet but she already applied for US citizenship . Is that possible or legal?

Thank you in advance

are you talking about secondary at the airport? not exactly sure what your question is here

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

22 minutes ago, Ras Ous said:

Hi Mavel, 

True. If she obtained her GC through marriage and is still married to that same person.

Additionally, she needs to meet these requirements:

- Not being outside the US for a year or more in a row

- Not being outside the country for a total of 18 months or more

- Must be living in the same place for at least 3 months before petitioning.

Edited by EmmNM

I would assume that sending you to the secondary security check is just part of the procedure given your circumstances and the fact your GC had expired. Even though you have the extension letter, they still have to confirm your status and it's easier for them to do that at the secondary security point than have them do it at the first point, as it saves holding up the line behind you. 

I was sent to secondary a couple of weeks ago when I re-entered the US using Advanced Parole. The lady at the Border Point said it was just the procedure as they need to confirm your status before they let you in and it takes a little while for them to go through the check. I suspect it's the same in your case.

2 hours ago, Ras Ous said:

Hi Mavel, 

Which form do I need to fill out for U.S. citizenship

2 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

are you talking about secondary at the airport? not exactly sure what your question is here

I was flying from DR to U.S. so as my first port of entry to USA I have to go through customs the officer told me that she will send for additional checkup because my green card expired long time ago Feb 4th. Even I show her the later she kept saying that they were taking too long with my case. My question for how long can I use my extension letter I thought since it's a year I'm still good ? The letter will expire 02/04/19 I'm planning to fly to DR in Dec coming back on January 2nd I wanna make sure I will be ok to enter to the country without any problems. The officer made me doubt about if the letter is really effective for one year 

4 hours ago, mavel said:

N-400

But keep in mind, you have to be eligible to file. If you obtained your GC through marriage and it has been 3 years (minus 90 days) from when you GC expires, you can file.

4 hours ago, mavel said:

I was flying from DR to U.S. so as my first port of entry to USA I have to go through customs the officer told me that she will send for additional checkup because my green card expired long time ago Feb 4th. Even I show her the later she kept saying that they were taking too long with my case. My question for how long can I use my extension letter I thought since it's a year I'm still good ? The letter will expire 02/04/19 I'm planning to fly to DR in Dec coming back on January 2nd I wanna make sure I will be ok to enter to the country without any problems. The officer made me doubt about if the letter is really effective for one year 

ANYONE that is not a US citizen can be sent into secondary for questioning. Even if you had a valid green card you could have been question in secondary. The officer was probably checking to make sure the letter was authentic. You should be fine if you travel with it again.

The only people who are guaranteed entry into the US are US citizens.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

13 hours ago, mavel said:

N-400.

But you need to verify you are actually eligible. Did you get your GC through marriage? If yes, are you still married to that American?

You're allowed to file for citizenship even if RoC isn't done, so long as you're fully eligible for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
8 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

N-400

But keep in mind, you have to be eligible to file. If you obtained your GC through marriage and it has been 3 years (minus 90 days) from when you GC expires, you can file.

ANYONE that is not a US citizen can be sent into secondary for questioning. Even if you had a valid green card you could have been question in secondary. The officer was probably checking to make sure the letter was authentic. You should be fine if you travel with it again.

The only people who are guaranteed entry into the US are US citizens.

I am a USC and I have been sent to secondary multiple times in the past say 10 years. Granted I leave and enter the United States about 10 times a year. Being a USC doesn't keep you out of secondary inspection. I have heard all sorts of reasons, we need to check your bag, something's weird on your global entry, your coming back in from a high risk country. You name it, I believe anyone can be sent to secondary, a USC doesn't get a free pass, at least I don't. LOL

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, mavel said:

I TOLD her that's why they gave me the extension letter while they process my case.  My question is,  can they do that? my Letter will expire Feb 4th 2019 I thought i was OK to travel with no problem.

Thank you in advance

In short, yes they can.  The only ones that are guaranteed entrance in to the U.S. are US citizens.  I was taken in to secondary inspection even though I had my 10 year green card.  Now the important thing is that you WERE admitted correct?  Next time you travel with your extension letter you may or may not have problems.  

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For citizenship, just go here:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship

The website will guide you and inform you if you are able to file the n400 application, after asking you a series of questions. Good luck!

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
39 minutes ago, shumway1756 said:

You are 100% correct, anyone can be sent to secondary. A USC is simply guaranteed entry. Granted, if the USC did something illegal that entry may be in handcuffs, but it's guaranteed nonetheless. :)

Exactly. As the other poster, I worked internationally in Africa for 15 months so would be flying in and out frequently. My first rotation over I had to go to our HQ in Denmark, but that had a layover in Amsterdam... getting on the plane there were Customs officers asking everyone boarding where they were going, why, ect... Mine was a bit odd as had to tell them I was going to all these random places but soon as oil field work came out they were like "Oh okay have a good one". hah. Even coming back one trip I almost got held up when they asked where I'd been and said Africa, then they looked somewhat hesitantly and pointed at a map they had behind them on the wall about the ebola outbreak and asked if I had been anywhere there (luckily no but think they got worried).

The US seems like it may hassle people sometimes; but I've been pulled into secondary going into Canada.. fined for smoking with 20 other people outside an airport in Kazahkstan where only  got my passport taken, taken into an office and wouldn't be 'released' until i paid the fine which was only 20 bucks..Trinidad is always a fun experience(mostly slow)...and  Angola, man they hassle you all day long going in and going out hah. The US seems like a breeze in comparison.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.