40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Exactly. As the other poster, I worked internationally in Africa for 15 months so would be flying in and out frequently. My first rotation over I had to go to our HQ in Denmark, but that had a layover in Amsterdam... getting on the plane there were Customs officers asking everyone boarding where they were going, why, ect... Mine was a bit odd as had to tell them I was going to all these random places but soon as oil field work came out they were like "Oh okay have a good one". hah. Even coming back one trip I almost got held up when they asked where I'd been and said Africa, then they looked somewhat hesitantly and pointed at a map they had behind them on the wall about the ebola outbreak and asked if I had been anywhere there (luckily no but think they got worried).

The US seems like it may hassle people sometimes; but I've been pulled into secondary going into Canada.. fined for smoking with 20 other people outside an airport in Kazahkstan where only  got my passport taken, taken into an office and wouldn't be 'released' until i paid the fine which was only 20 bucks..Trinidad is always a fun experience(mostly slow)...and  Angola, man they hassle you all day long going in and going out hah. The US seems like a breeze in comparison.

I agree with your Amsterdam summary, I come thru there all the time on my way back and forth to Dubai, UAE, and they are always on you there, especially if you are going back to the US. They now have some Pre- check you have to go thru before you can board your onward flight back to the US. I to was questioned and shown a map asking where I was in Africa during the big ebola thing. But I have no complaints, I am always happy to get back to the US, and I usually never have a problem. 95% of the time I am thru immigration and customs in 10 min. So I don't mind secondary every once in a while, I have fun with it, I am no way dumb enough to try and get anything past CBP, they seem to have it down, and I always tell them search my bags, tear them apart, whatever you have to do. I don't think I have ever been held up more than an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours tops. They have searched my phone and everything, if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't be worried, and all the CBP officers have treated me well and never done me wrong.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Just now, Loren Y said:

I agree with your Amsterdam summary, I come thru there all the time on my way back and forth to Dubai, UAE, and they are always on you there, especially if you are going back to the US. They now have some Pre- check you have to go thru before you can board your onward flight back to the US. I to was questioned and shown a map asking where I was in Africa during the big ebola thing. But I have no complaints, I am always happy to get back to the US, and I usually never have a problem. 95% of the time I am thru immigration and customs in 10 min. So I don't mind secondary every once in a while, I have fun with it, I am no way dumb enough to try and get anything past CBP, they seem to have it down, and I always tell them search my bags, tear them apart, whatever you have to do. I don't think I have ever been held up more than an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours tops.

We would like to add on this, just recently coming back to the US from London, our boarding passes have SSSS on them. We were sent to another screening at Heathrow Airport prior to boarding. This secondary screening is more thorough. We have to remove everything once again, turn on all electronic devices, open our carrying one, swap test, pat down once again, take a look each of the shoes in and out. Then the officer asked questions about all the places we've been in Europe. Mind you, we are US Citizens coming back before POE.

Timeline
1 minute ago, dandk said:

We would like to add on this, just recently coming back to the US from London, our boarding passes have SSSS on them. We were sent to another screening at Heathrow Airport prior to boarding. This secondary screening is more thorough. We have to remove everything once again, turn on all electronic devices, open our carrying one, swap test, pat down once again, take a look each of the shoes in and out. Then the officer asked questions about all the places we've been in Europe. Mind you, we are US Citizens coming back before POE.

Seen that a few times myself. If your boarding passes have SSSS, or XXXX or something like that on them get ready for the " Blue glove" treatment I like to call it. I just came back last week from Cancun, Mexico and one of my friends when we were coming thru Houston, Texas as POE before onward flight to Vegas got the XXXX on his ticket when he printed it from the Automated terminal, and he got held up for about another 15-20 min I think. He met us at the gate a little later, no problems.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Seen that a few times myself. If your boarding passes have SSSS, or XXXX or something like that on them get ready for the " Blue glove" treatment I like to call it. I just came back last week from Cancun, Mexico and one of my friends when we were coming thru Houston, Texas as POE before onward flight to Vegas got the XXXX on his ticket when he printed it from the Automated terminal, and he got held up for about another 15-20 min I think. He met us at the gate a little later, no problems.

This Secondary Security Screening Selection supposedly random, however if the next trip we once again get the "Blue Glove" treatment as you called it, then it means our names are in some sort of International list.

22 minutes ago, dandk said:

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago at Heathrow. Couldn't check into my flight online the night before, even though my wife could. When I got to the airport, they told me I'd been randomly selected for additional security screening and went through the same treatment you did just before boarding. It's the second time it's happened to me, but the first time it's prevented me from being able to check in the night before my flight. Then, when I got to the US, I had to go through secondary too. It must have been my lucky day.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, dandk said:

This Secondary Security Screening Selection supposedly random, however if the next trip we once again get the "Blue Glove" treatment as you called it, then it means our names are in some sort of International list.

Yes, it all depends. I always wonder if it is Random or not. One time I was trying to deliver to a US military base for work ( I have done this Numerous times all over the world mind you), They didn't let me in saying I came up on the terrorist watch list. I was like what? Couldn't make the delivery had to send another driver and I did inquiries for the next 2 days trying to figure it out, and nothing was found. come to find out whoever runs the checks messed up my name or SS Number that caused the problem at the base. Didn't find this out until I went back to the base to talk to the military police because I couldn't find anything, and they ran me again and I came back clear. Who knows, but it scary how one computer entry or wrong keystroke could change your life.

2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I am a USC and I have been sent to secondary multiple times in the past say 10 years. Granted I leave and enter the United States about 10 times a year. Being a USC doesn't keep you out of secondary inspection. I have heard all sorts of reasons, we need to check your bag, something's weird on your global entry, your coming back in from a high risk country. You name it, I believe anyone can be sent to secondary, a USC doesn't get a free pass, at least I don't. LOL

2 hours ago, shumway1756 said:

You are 100% correct, anyone can be sent to secondary. A USC is simply guaranteed entry. Granted, if the USC did something illegal that entry may be in handcuffs, but it's guaranteed nonetheless. :)

Thanks for the correction. This is true, anyone, even US citizens, can be sent to secondary.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

18 hours ago, mavel said:

Hello VJ''s . So my conditional GC expired on 02/04/18 i sent my package on Dec 2017 , I got my extension letter and June 18th 2018 i got  a notification saying that to process my case faster they have move it to California  Service Center. i have two question today . A couple days ago i was out the country when i was entering to US the officer say that she was going to send me to additional security checkup because my GC expired in Feb 4th 2018 and I still don't have my permanent GC.  I TOLD her that's why they gave me the extension letter while they process my case.  My question is,  can they do that? my Letter will expire Feb 4th 2019 I thought i was OK to travel with no problem. my SECOND QUESTION IS,  I have a friend that is going through the same process than me.  she got her extension letter and it will expired on august she hasn't gotten her permanent GC yet but she already applied for US citizenship . Is that possible or legal?

Thank you in advance

They can send you for further screening.  There's nothing you can do about it.  It might have been an oversight on the initial officers reading of your documents or perhaps they were not familiar with something else.  Accidents/mistakes happen.   Get over it.  You were allowed entry back into the country, correct?  Move on with your life.

45 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

They can send you for further screening.  There's nothing you can do about it.  It might have been an oversight on the initial officers reading of your documents or perhaps they were not familiar with something else.  Accidents/mistakes happen.   Get over it.  You were allowed entry back into the country, correct?  Move on with your life.

I'm sure moving on with my life sir but I have an upcoming trip and I wanted to know if someone here experienced something similar. why some people have to be so rude on this web site . if you are in a bad mood just let other nice members answer my question. Thanks

Edited by mavel

Filed: Timeline
33 minutes ago, mavel said:

I'm sure moving on with my life sir but I have an upcoming trip and I wanted to know if someone here experienced something similar. why some people have to be so rude on this web site . if you are in a bad mood just let other nice members answer my question. Thanks

As others have said you got sent to secondary and that happens. But I think your real question was about what the officer said to you/how she treated you. She was just giving you a hard time. I dont know why. It happens. Maybe you'll get a nice officer next time or another mean one. Theres nothing wrong with your status and the letter is valid until it says so. 

Have a nice trip. Try not to worry so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

My experience is that you get to secondary if they are unsure about your case or don't have time to process it and want to move the line along.  

Nothing to be concerned about.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

3 hours ago, Damara said:

As others have said you got sent to secondary and that happens. But I think your real question was about what the officer said to you/how she treated you. She was just giving you a hard time. I dont know why. It happens. Maybe you'll get a nice officer next time or another mean one. Theres nothing wrong with your status and the letter is valid until it says so. 

Have a nice trip. Try not to worry so much.

Thank you . I understand that they can stop anybody even US citizen i just got a little bit concerned because  she said my letter wasn't good anymore because my GC was expired since FEB 4th.  

Edited by mavel

5 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Yes, it all depends. I always wonder if it is Random or not. One time I was trying to deliver to a US military base for work ( I have done this Numerous times all over the world mind you), They didn't let me in saying I came up on the terrorist watch list. I was like what? Couldn't make the delivery had to send another driver and I did inquiries for the next 2 days trying to figure it out, and nothing was found. come to find out whoever runs the checks messed up my name or SS Number that caused the problem at the base. Didn't find this out until I went back to the base to talk to the military police because I couldn't find anything, and they ran me again and I came back clear. Who knows, but it scary how one computer entry or wrong keystroke could change your life.

Maybe it's a mix of random and "random". I don't have experience with SSSS but I have pre check and I was randomly selecting for further search once on an internal flight. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about me and I am not part of a minority that is discriminated against. It was super annoying and I'm not sure that those random searches help with anything but oh well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.