Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Aichamia said:

I have heard mixed information, I have had a friend of a friend who successfully crossed from Ontario as her fiance had an accident and she wanted to go see him.

Any Canadians out here who have tried  crossing the land border and if so, what did you do and how did it go.

Which land border has higher scrutiny and which is lenient? 

I heard from a Facebook group one tried to cross the land border and was denied for some reason and forced to quarantine even it they never made it over. 

1 hour ago, Aichamia said:

So how long should I wait before I try again, since I was turned back just last month 

Also, I was going to visit my aunt in another state for her birthday, rather than going directly to see my fiance. Is that a good idea? 

What do I tell them and would they have full access to the last conversation if say I try to go after 6 months, I.e. Jan or Feb 2021.that would be good 7 months from my last visit.

Rule of thumb is twice longer out than inside the US.  So if your previous stay was 5.5 months long, you should stay out for at least 11 months.  Attempting to visit sooner may give CBP more reason to suspect that you are trying to live in the US instead of just visiting.  But, they did tell you to try again anytime if you can bring enough proof of ties.

As for who you're going to visit, CBP care less about that and more about what would compel you to return to Canada on time.

Also, answer truthfully when asked.  Don't bet on CBP not having all the details about your previous denied entry.  In my case, although I was not denied entry, they sent me to secondary interview before letting me through.  Both CBP officers who interviewed me had access to information I filed at the local embassy from years ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Does anyone have suggestions on how to visit? I’m nervous if he comes here (US) only to be denied entry since but I am unable to go there (Peru) due to their covid policies. What do we do? What are you all doing? Are people meeting in the middle (some other country)?

We’ve seen each other for only 7 days this entire year. Preaching to the choir, but this wasn’t what I expected.

I admit I didn’t read all pages on this thread so I apologize if this has been answered. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, ODJD said:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to visit? I’m nervous if he comes here (US) only to be denied entry since but I am unable to go there (Peru) due to their covid policies. What do we do? What are you all doing? Are people meeting in the middle (some other country)?

We’ve seen each other for only 7 days this entire year. Preaching to the choir, but this wasn’t what I expected.

I admit I didn’t read all pages on this thread so I apologize if this has been answered. 

I am in the same boat as you! My spouse is nervous to visit me in the US (we have an immigrant visa in the works, fear of denial at border, etc) and we decided I will go to Colombia to see him instead. I would sign up for the STEP program (I don't remember what it stands for but it's like consular information from the US Embassy in Lima, in your case, and they shoot out information helpful to US Citizens) like recently, the US Embassy in Bogota, Colombia sent out that Colombia has opened their borders for international flights and that a PCR covid-19 test is needed, a form with Migracion Colombia, and to download a contact tracing application prior to entering the country. 

I have also spoke with some expats of Bogota and they have all said (four of them) that flying into Colombia was much safer (strict flight protocols, sanitizers, spaced out seats, the works) than returning back to the USA. They did not have a safe or comfortable experience riding on Spirit airlines because the seats weren't spaced out and there were many passengers. So just sharing! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Just to add my experience to this thread, I was able to travel to the US with my pending K1 with no issues :) my POE was SFO. I told them I was here to visit my fiancé and his family and they just wanted to know if I had a return ticket. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
23 hours ago, HRQX said:

From Australia? Which reason did you use to exit Australia? https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

Yes from Australia. Compassionate and compelling. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

UPDATE: I am currently visiting the states and came through YVR airport POE  WITH my fiance'. 

They did not ask much which was surprising! They asked about my old visa, how long I was down there and when my return flight home was. 

15 minutes ago, M & T said:

UPDATE: I am currently visiting the states and came through YVR airport POE  WITH my fiance'. 

They did not ask much which was surprising! They asked about my old visa, how long I was down there and when my return flight home was. 

Glad to see another review on this. If you don't mind me asking, have you always crossed via YVR? and when you say, it was shocking they didn't ask much, do you mean they always ask alot of questions  ? And I'm assuming when you mention your fiance, they're a USC? 

How long have you stayed in the past and if ever, what time of questions do they usually ask since you started your Visa process?

Thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Aichamia said:

Glad to see another review on this. If you don't mind me asking, have you always crossed via YVR? and when you say, it was shocking they didn't ask much, do you mean they always ask alot of questions  ? And I'm assuming when you mention your fiance, they're a USC? 

How long have you stayed in the past and if ever, what time of questions do they usually ask since you started your Visa process?

Thank you 

Hey, not at all! I haven't always cross through YVR, sometimes it's Winnipeg or TO. 

I think I jus expected a lot more questions because we were traveling together for the first time since we applied for a K-1 and so I had paperwork created by my employer and any evidence showing ties to back home. Yes, my fiance' is a USC.

I used to live in the US for 2.5 years because I was working under a TN but left in April of 2020 and just now entered again. 

Feel free to message me if you any questions :)

Hi guys I was wondering if I could ask for some help.

I don't have a tourist visa to the US because I have a K1 in process and was told I was not suppose to apply for a tourist visa.

In this pandemic, there is a possibility that I can travel out of the country for compassionate reasons, but I don't know if I'm allowed to apply for a tourist visa to do that.

I haven't seen my fiance since Dec 2019 and it's affecting me a lot and I feel I might have a chance if I'm allowed to apply for a tourist visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can certainly apply, we are now on page 154 of people who have visited during the process, now whether you will get one I have no idea. Depends on your circumstances.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just got back to the USA today from a visit to my fiancé in Germany, if anyone has any questions of how this process worked feel free to PM. We also previously did a 14 day quarantine in Mexico to get her into the USA back in August.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure they have. Is this a first time application?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.