Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone know if a UK citizen from the UK can travel to the US (NY state) to visit a fiancé?

I've done some research and I can't find anything concrete about the current travel restrictions.
Several official websites have contradicting information against eachother... 

I was hoping to see my fiancé this summer after not being able to last year.

2 hours ago, OverThePond said:

Does anyone know if a UK citizen from the UK can travel to the US (NY state) to visit a fiancé?

Not directly. You must first go to "a country that is not covered by the Presidential Proclamation" (e.g. Mexico, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, etc.) for 14 days and then travel to the US. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

Travel to the United States from a country that is not covered by the Presidential Proclamation may be possible, but we advise you to verify whether the country to which you intend to travel has implemented travel or other restrictions before you make travel arrangements.  One possible source of such information is travel.state.gov which contains links to the websites of other countries’ immigration authorities.

We are not able to suggest countries through which you may travel, comment on your proposed travel itinerary, or provide information about travel regulations that apply to other countries.

Please bear in mind:

• The proclamation suspends travel to the U.S. for any individual who has been physically present in the United Kingdom or another listed country within 14 days prior to their arrival in the United States. Unless you plan to stay in a country that is not impacted by any of these proclamations for 14 days before traveling onward to the United States, the proclamation will continue to apply.
  • Transiting a country covered by the proclamation (including the UK), even without exiting the airport, counts as physical presence within that country and triggers the application of the proclamation.
  • The proclamation also applies to traveling through a U.S. airport to get to another country.
  • For information on current COVID testing requirements for travel to the United States from the United Kingdom please see the CDC website.

You'll also need proof of a negative COVID-19 test (or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19) when boarding the flight from the "country that is not covered by the Presidential Proclamation" to the US: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html It must be via flight since you cannot cross via land at this time:

Edited by HRQX

• 1 month later...

I have a pending k1 application. We received our noa few months ago and now waiting for noa2.  My POE last month was on Newark.  I am also travelling with my 8 month old US citizen daughter.  When asked for purpose of visit,  I told the officer for my baby to visit/meet her daddy for the first time (points to my baby, she was on a stroller).  We were just asked till when we'll stay. (didn't even asked if we have return ticket)  Then lets us go.  No stamp on my passport (but my I-94 online is updated though).  No fingerprint as well.  Smoothest entry ever.  I've been in the US couple of times before (before k1).  I really thought me travelling with my USC baby is gonna make me a risk as now my family ties will be in the US. But turns out,  it didn't really matter.  

Edited by pinaydiver

Hello all☺️

I wanted to share my own experiences when I first saw this thread months ago. I currently am in Texas with my husband (after we finally got married on Saturday!!!) I took a rapid antigen test before my flight to Texas. No quarantine needed upon arrival into this State. I flew here last week Wednesday morning from Vancouver on an ESTA, as I am a UK citizen with Canadian PR status. 

CBP asked 6 questions-

1. Purpose of trip? 

To visit my fiancé and his family. 

2. For how long? 

5 weeks. 

3. How did you meet? 

Online. 

4. When did you meet? 

September 2020 online, in January in person. 

Oh? So you've been together since? 

Yes. 

5. How long did you visit when you last arrived to the US? 

8 days

Then he asked me to place my right fingers on the fingerprint scanner. Then told me not to bother with my thumb print and left hand. 

6. So your husband is a Canadian or American citizen? (Not sure if he was trying to trip me up about my fiancé. I did not offer up our wedding plans, yet I totally would have shared, if asked) 

No. He's my fiancé and he's American. 

He stamped my passport and told me to enjoy my trip. I collected my passport and walked to the gate. When I checked my passport, I noticed he didn't put a date on it which they usually do, to allot me a 90 day stay. All good, as I return July 8th.

Here's to those wanting to visit and hesitant, just be confident and answer the questions concisely and do NOT offer any information that is not asked. Although I am not doing K1, we will be pursuing the spousal visa process, I thought it would be good to share my experience☺️

All the best to everyone🌻

Edited by TedsGirl
Spelling error

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 6/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, TedsGirl said:

1. Purpose of trip? 

To visit my fiancé and his family. 

I'm no expert here, but it would seem to me that you did not only not offer up anything that was not asked, but you misled them with this answer. If you were traveling to the US to marry your fiance, then the purpose of your trip was not simply to visit. I'm not criticizing your actions. I am simply flagging this for others to consider who may be thinking about doing the same thing, as it may not always work out well.

4 hours ago, M&D2021 said:

but you misled them with this answer.

But the omission is not "material" since marriage during a genuine* visit is allowed: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/

If you will return to your permanent residence you may apply for a tourist B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.  At the time you apply for the visa and/or travel to the United States you will be required to show that you have a residence outside the United States that you do not intend to abandon. There is no set form that this evidence takes as it varies with each person’s circumstances.

*I.e. that the visitor will not overstay during that visit; or the visitor does not have preconceived intent to adjust immigration status during that visit.

Edited by HRQX

I read through a few posts from beginning and end but still a little unclear on all this. I am married to a US citizen and I live in Romania. I have a B1/B2 visa before he files a CR1. I own 2 homes, rental income on one, but not working at the moment because I am studying (not in school though). Do you folks think I may lose the B1/B2 visa or be turned around? 

Also do you guys think CR1 or AOS is better to go through? 

2 minutes ago, aaromn said:

Also do you guys think CR1 or AOS is better to go through? 

Using a B1/B2 visa to enter the US with intent to stay and apply for AOS is visa fraud.  Don't do it.

3 minutes ago, aaromn said:

do you think  I may lose the B1/B2 visa or be turned around under CR1?

Visiting for short stay on a B1/B2 visa after marriage to a USC is allowed, subject to CBP inspection.  As to whether CBP will deny you entry or revoke your visa, you'll only find out for sure when you travel.  It depends on how convinced the inspecting officer will be of your intention to not adjust status and to not engage in illegal work during your stay in the US.  Presenting proof of strong ties to your home country might help.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, OverThePond said:

I've done some research and I can't find anything concrete about the current travel restrictions.
Several official websites have contradicting information against eachother... 

I was hoping to see my fiancé this summer after not being able to last year.

Hey! Me and my Fiance are currently going through the K1 visa and I just arrived in Buffalo last week on my ESTA (Via Mexico) I don't think you can fly direct as of yet but hopefully the borders open up soon for travel! nice to see a couple from Buffalo!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.