Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Is it possible to travel to the US after the K1 interview but before the visa is issued? NVC scheduled our interview for next week without contacting us first, and it happens to fall right before a pre-planned trip for my fiancee to visit and attend a friend's wedding. We are not going to be able to get all the required police certificates before the interview since she lived in several other countries and their embassies are being very slow to respond to her requests. So we are planning for the visa to be denied until those documents are submitted.

We had no issues after NOA1 and NOA2, she's been coming every few months and never had questions at the POE before (Officers were stamping her passport straight away, not even asking about length or purpose of visit in most cases), but this is uncharted territory for us.

12 hours ago, JeffAndAme said:

Is it possible to travel to the US after the K1 interview but before the visa is issued?

It is not prohibited, so your fiancee can try.  As always, entry is subject to CBP discretion.

Not sure if this is the right topic to post this question or not so sorry in advanced. I'm from the UK and have been looking at my options to travel to see my other half. With Canada opening their borders up to vaccinated people am I allowed to have my 14 days there and then travel to the US? Would prefer to travel there than Mexico. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Benny4352 said:

Not sure if this is the right topic to post this question or not so sorry in advanced. I'm from the UK and have been looking at my options to travel to see my other half. With Canada opening their borders up to vaccinated people am I allowed to have my 14 days there and then travel to the US? Would prefer to travel there than Mexico. 

You can quarantine in any non restricted country.

YMMV

7 hours ago, Benny4352 said:

am I allowed to have my 14 days there and then travel to the US?

Yes, go to Canada for 14 days and then fly to the US. I.e. you cannot cross at a land POE or via ferry: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/07/22/2021-15573/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service You'll need proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days before leaving Canada; or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html

Just note that it won't be until September (assuming no new updates) when you can enter Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html "On September 7, 2021, provided that the domestic epidemiologic situation remains favourable, the Government intends to open Canada’s borders to any fully vaccinated travellers who have completed the full course of vaccination with a Government of Canada-accepted vaccine at least 14 days prior to entering Canada and who meet specific entry requirements."

• 3 months later...

My fiancé is from Mexico.  She applied for a visitor visa in August 2020 but her interview kept getting canceled due to Covid.  She finally has her interview in Dec 2021.  We met in November 2020 and got engaged eventually after 5 trips to Mexico.  I filed the K-1 visa in July 2021.  Are there any issues she can run into for the interview for the visitor visa due to the pending k-1?  She can articulate that she filed for the visitor visa before knowing me and her initial intention was the visit family who are legal in the USA and take a class.  She will have documentation of her work, bills and lease and her daughter is enrolled in school to show ties to mexico.  Her intentions are still to visit her brother and dad because they never have saw her daughter and I obviously will visit her.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Everyone-

Im sure this has been asked before but I would lose my mind looking through 185 pages of this thread looking for the answer- but me and my fiance received our NOA2 on Nov 2nd and we've received info from the London embassy to book the interview/medical. My fiance plans on coming here after Christmas from the UK for a two week visit. He has his return flight booked and I've told him to print out proof of his work schedule/ proof of his mortgage, etc to prove his ties to home. Do you think because we have the NOA2 it will be different when facing border control than what it would be if we were still awaiting for the NOA2?  

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 12/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, Tayler36 said:

Hey Everyone-

Im sure this has been asked before but I would lose my mind looking through 185 pages of this thread looking for the answer- but me and my fiance received our NOA2 on Nov 2nd and we've received info from the London embassy to book the interview/medical. My fiance plans on coming here after Christmas from the UK for a two week visit. He has his return flight booked and I've told him to print out proof of his work schedule/ proof of his mortgage, etc to prove his ties to home. Do you think because we have the NOA2 it will be different when facing border control than what it would be if we were still awaiting for the NOA2?  

Thanks in advance for the help!!

You shouldn't have any problems. I don't believe the immigration officers at the border can see your k1 status. But even if they could it shouldn't affect your visit - the chance of you overstaying or otherwise breaking the rules of a tourist visa when you're this far down the k1 route are pretty small - much smaller than the chances of you doing so when your k1 is months away. If you have a confirmed date for the interview in London, that's even more reason not to overstay.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I may be overthinking this but I just want to make sure I am following all the guidelines.

Am I allowed to enter the US between the time I complete the DS-160 and the time of the interview? On the DS-160 it says to state your last 5 visits to the US. If I enter again after submitting the DS-160, will that make my DS-160 untrue?

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, Goose-o said:

Am I allowed to enter the US between the time I complete the DS-160 and the time of the interview?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Goose-o said:

On the DS-160 it says to state your last 5 visits to the US. If I enter again after submitting the DS-160

You can add the trips that you take after DS-160 submission by asking the CO at the K-1 interview to update the submitted DS-160.

• 3 weeks later...

Got our NOA1 on July 9th 2020.

I'm Canadian, she is USA and I'm the move moving to USA.

I'm wanting to visit my Fiance in USA for 6 months, as we still don't even have our NOA2 and It's been over a year since I've seen here.. My previous visit was before we filed for K1 and I stayed 6 full months to the day as thats the maximum allowed under B2.

I understand unless I get really lucky like some have, I will face more questions/concern at the POE which would be Toronto for me going through customs to Houston.

Do you think it would play in my favour that I can prove I played by the rules in the past, Went for 6 months, Left @ 6 months and its been a full year since for another visit?

I do have a job here in Canada, but I can pick my shifts when I want them so it's not a super strong tie, I also live @ home still so I don't have any stuff I could provide really...

I planned on bringing all the K1 information we did so far including the NOA1 just to prove our intend is real on doing the K1.. 

I want to book my flight tomorrow since I want to leave in March and the prices will go up soon, but I wanted to check on here and see if it's a good chance or not I'll get through.. I'm willing to go if its at least 50/50.. Which I believe it is better than 50/50 personally just because I'm coming from Canada and prior trip etc.

My other main concern is what happens if our NOA2 comes when I'm in the states? Can I complete everything needed from there? or would I have to quickly try to scramble back home? From my understand it seems like even after the NOA2 it takes almost 9 months to get to the interview/Medical exam stage, which is all I'd really have to be in Canada for, Right?

Thanks so much.

EDIT : I am also open to going for like 2-3 months if that would make things easier, but would much prefer 6

Edited by Nickm1002

We filed for K1 visa on October and it looks like our I-129F might not be approved until October this year (current receipt date for a case inquiry is  February 14, 2021), so my girlfriend plans to apply B2 visa to visit me and probably stays the full length 6 months.

We are debating if in the B2 visa interview, my gf should mention her purpose is to visit her boyfriend (me) or just for sight seeing. We don't want to lie or such but if it's not asked, we are not sure if we should mention it. Will it hurt her chance of getting B2 if she mentions that we have a K1 pending? Our intention is just to be together and we will go through the formal process when our I-129F is approved. 

What's your suggestion? What did you do when you interview your B2 visa? Thanks

Edited by cuongvt101

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They might wonder why she would want to visit the US for such a long time and not see you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

They might wonder why she would want to visit the US for such a long time and not see you.

I guess my question is when they don't ask (e.g., they don't know she has a boyfriend there). Anyway, I think it's a silly question. We should put everything on table, being honest is always the right way in visa interview.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.