Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
13 minutes ago, willygoeswrong said:

Hey,  just created this account, this website seems pretty useful regarding updates on visas and all of this stuff. 
Are there any other countries that have reopened the interviews for k-1 visas? I've heard about Poland and that's it for now. 
We are currently waiting for Moscow embassy to reopen, they are not providing any info at all. Have you guys heard any rumors about the reopening date? 
Also, does anybody know if the  NVC expedite for k-1 visa will work, especially now? We've listed financial hardship as the reason for request. 
This whole virus thing sucks so much, i can't wait for it to be over ;( 

Where have you heard about Poland?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, xxlian said:

Where have you heard about Poland?

Here, in other discussion or smth

Not sure if that's true, but anyway

Edited by willygoeswrong

1 hour ago, willygoeswrong said:

Hey,  just created this account, this website seems pretty useful regarding updates on visas and all of this stuff. 
Are there any other countries that have reopened the interviews for k-1 visas? I've heard about Poland and that's it for now. 
We are currently waiting for Moscow embassy to reopen, they are not providing any info at all. Have you guys heard any rumors about the reopening date? 
Also, does anybody know if the  NVC expedite for k-1 visa will work, especially now? We've listed financial hardship as the reason for request. 
This whole virus thing sucks so much, i can't wait for it to be over ;( 

You'll have better luck getting up-to-date information at the sub-forum for Russia, rather than this unrelated thread for visiting fiances.  Check out: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/

7 hours ago, willygoeswrong said:

Note that Warsaw hasn't resumed routine K-1 issuance. Warsaw can only issue for cases that meet both: emergency/expedite and are exempt to Schengen Area proclamation (e.g. parent of US citizen child, etc.). Warsaw has only issued 1 K-1 visa since the Schengen Area proclamation came into effect: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Canadian husband and I are awaiting his Montreal interview. We had set some slow plans in motion, thinking the interview would happen before everything played out, but as y'all know, COVID changed everything. Long story short, he hired replacements to take over his job and sold his house (permanent address changed to his sister's house, he went there after his house sold). So he is flying (with our cat!) to visit me in Oregon. Literally he is in Seattle between flights right now.

We have Nexus passes to expedite border crossings and though he couldn't use it for the TSA security check in Vancouver as usual, he was still able to use it to go through immigration/customs there (yes, the USCBP has a presence at YVR to do immigration/customs there before you fly). Literally all they asked was "purpose of your visit", he said, "visit my wife", and that was it. He's done and through! We were prepared for everything - he had a return ticket, he had copies of our marriage certificate, he had a copy of my passport, he has our paperwork for his immigration application, we even had a reason for bringing me the cat (his sister is allergic, no lie)... everything we could think of to justify that he was only visiting. Then, the only question they asked  was that one. I looked up his I-94 afterward and noted they had given him the full six months to be here.  I can suspect that Nexus and his frequent visit/return history also bolstered the ease of this crossing. We've had 10 years of monthly visits, only broken by COVID.

We won't use those six months. We calculated the tax impact of when he could return and not pay US taxes, so Dec 1 is the latest we can use. Now, based on data from here (and HawkRider's awesome spreadsheet for DQ'd people immigrating from Canada), we'll be able to loosely predict the interview timing and get him back safely in time for everything that precedes the interview - self-isolation (Canadian rules), the medical, the results, and flying to Montreal. We are so glad airlines are waiving fees on changing ticket dates too. 

Anyway, I'm off to pick him up in 3 hours and I'm super excited to see him again! With luck, this could be our last visit ever and the next time he travels into the states it will be as a PR!

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Timeline

Amendment: They also asked "anything to declare", to which he replied, "just my cat". They didn't even look at the cat.

USCIS

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

COVID happened

Consulate

Permanent Resident

Citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Lois K said:

Amendment: They also asked "anything to declare", to which he replied, "just my cat". They didn't even look at the cat.

Did they even ask how long he was staying?

I find whenever I cross via Vancouver they don't....ask so much, especially if you cross so often.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Rlewis said:

Did they even ask how long he was staying?

I find whenever I cross via Vancouver they don't....ask so much, especially if you cross so often.

They didn't. Now, being Nexus, and we put his ID in when we bought the ticket, it's possible that they already had his return flight info on screen. But I can only speculate on this.

Oh I did find out a bit more now that he's here, which is that to use the Nexus lane there was a kiosk where you answer all the standard customs questions on a computer, rather than to a person. So he did get asked a bunch of things including the one about bringing in plants, seeds, livestock, etc. He checked yes on that for the cat. Then up at the desk, aside from the 'anything to declare'  question, they didn't do any additional follow up. 

USCIS

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

COVID happened

Consulate

Permanent Resident

Citizenship

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Did see this topic while i was doing my own topic for this subject. 😊 So i'll repeat my question here.

I've got touristic visa before i met my fiance in Tinder, now we putting together documents for K1. I want to visit him in US when we will have NOA1.

I want to tell officers on border that i'm going to visit my fiance while K1 in process.

I've heard a lot of people did this without problems, but some people was refused to let in US.

I want to know some reasons why they can refuse and what we can do to not let it happen.

I also want to tell them i would like to stay with him for 2 month in US (Then i'll try to extend my time in US officialy). Two month it's a lot and could it cause suspicion?
Because i would like to spend with him all 6 month before to go back home for an interview if we will be able to extend my time there legally, because we're not going to break the rules. I mean if they will give me only one month there and we will not be able to extend it so i'll leave US in month.

But probably if i'll tell them about 6 month on border i will not be let in for sure?

What is the maximum time of stay in the USA so that there is no suspicion?

One thing I'll advise for sure is to never say more than what is asked. So, if they are asking for your reason of stay, just answer honestly "visiting my BF/GF/fiance" without going into detail. If they see in the system you have a pending I-129F, you can provide them with a copy of your NOA1 and proof of going back home after your visit. (Itinerary, employer letter stating they expect you back, etc.) 

Long stays are tricky nonetheless. They will always have question marks as to why, I feel like. With a pending I-129F, you've already showed immigration intend, so just make sure you show proof of going back home on the date of your return ticket. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

8 hours ago, Dutchster said:

so just make sure you show proof of going back home on the date of your return ticket. 

Note that perfectsense might not have return ticket during upcoming trip since she mentions extending trip from 2 months to almost 6 months if CBP grants 6 months max at POE. B-1/B-2 visitors don't need return ticket, although it's recommended. Return ticket is a specific requirement for VWP visitors; 8 CFR 217.2(c)(1): "Applicants arriving by air and sea. Applicants must arrive on a carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination."

Timeline
15 hours ago, HRQX said:

Note that perfectsense might not have return ticket during upcoming trip since she mentions extending trip from 2 months to almost 6 months if CBP grants 6 months max at POE. B-1/B-2 visitors don't need return ticket, although it's recommended. Return ticket is a specific requirement for VWP visitors; 8 CFR 217.2(c)(1): "Applicants arriving by air and sea. Applicants must arrive on a carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination."

No, i will have tickets for a round trip. Cause i'm going to go back home:)

We wanted to stay more then 2 month if we would get permission, but i understood better it will be only two months.

I have another question. My fiance is going to sponsor me all over the trip, so i will have only about 200 dollars on credit card. Will it work if he will write letter that he is going to sponsor me there? He will take me from an airport.

Edited by perfectsense

4 hours ago, perfectsense said:

My fiance is going to sponsor me all over the trip, so i will have only about 200 dollars on credit card. Will it work if he will write letter that he is going to sponsor me there?

If they ask who will pay for your trip, tell the truth, but no need to show a letter from your boyfriend.  Remember that what the CBP officer will be most interested in is compelling reasons for you to return to Russia.  Bring evidence of that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can not sponsor a B trip, how much cash will you be bringing?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 hours ago, perfectsense said:

No, i will have tickets for a round trip. Cause i'm going to go back home:)

We wanted to stay more then 2 month if we would get permission, but i understood better it will be only two months.

I have another question. My fiance is going to sponsor me all over the trip, so i will have only about 200 dollars on credit card. Will it work if he will write letter that he is going to sponsor me there? He will take me from an airport.

I wish you well, but you have many of the factors that lead to denial of admission at the border. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.