Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Timeline
10 hours ago, Chancy said:

If they ask who will pay for your trip, tell the truth, but no need to show a letter from your boyfriend.  Remember that what the CBP officer will be most interested in is compelling reasons for you to return to Russia.  Bring evidence of that.

I can show them:

1. Apartment ownership certificate.

2. Photo of apartment that proof my things are still there.

3. 2 bank accounts

4. Return ticket

5. Documentation for K-1 (include I-129F, of course), number of case in USCIS.

6. My intention to get medical treatment in Russia (Only in words)

7. I was in US only once before and stayed like i told only for 10 days, no violations. So it probably can help a little bit too.

4 hours ago, perfectsense said:

I can show them:

1. Apartment ownership certificate.

2. Photo of apartment that proof my things are still there.

3. 2 bank accounts

4. Return ticket

5. Documentation for K-1 (include I-129F, of course), number of case in USCIS.

6. My intention to get medical treatment in Russia (Only in words)

7. I was in US only once before and stayed like i told only for 10 days, no violations. So it probably can help a little bit too.

Probably the best of these is the k1 documentation, as it's less likely you'll break the rules if you're already pursuing k1.

A photo of the apartment would prove nothing (difficult to prove when it was taken, or that its your apartment). Bank accounts can be accessed remotely (I still have my UK bank account) so don't prove you'll return. A return ticket is required when entering on a tourist visa I believe so everyone has one of those, and in any case many flights are cheaper as a return than one-way (seems hard to believe, but when I moved to the US permanently I actually bought a return and just didn't use the return portion as it was cheaper than buying one way!).

The other thing to remember is that even if they don't believe you will overstay, they might still deny you. When I was visiting before I'd started the k1 the border agent told me there is "no such visa as a 'visiting my girlfriend' visa". I was only arriving for a one month visit. I was let in after some debate - but don't assume that they are only interested in stopping people who will overstay or work illegally during their trip.

Its rare to see people in this thread who have been stopped from entering, so your chances are probably good, but nothing is guaranteed. A lot can depend on the agents at the port of entry, what sort of day they are having etc.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

14 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Not required for B-1/B-2 travelers. It's a specific requirement for VWP travelers.

Okay thanks, I wasn't sure about tourist visas, I knew it was for VWP.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

My fiance' (common law) is currently in Canada with me. We hadn't seen each other in 5 months and he's only here for 2 weeks. I've decided to go back with him to California and stay for 2 months, we leave tomorrow morning. I hope there won't be issues with us both going together but I have the following:

1. K-1 Pending application

2. Return flight home

3. A job in Canada

4. Enough money saved 

Anyone crossed the border with their partner?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, jdv2019 said:

My fiancé (from France) and I just applied for the K1 visa and assumed she could not visit me in the US until the travel ban is lifted.  Apparently the foreign fiancés posting here recently have been able to get around this.  Am I missing something?  Obviously we'd both be thrilled if she were able to visit.

I believe there are some countries that cannot travel to USA. I believe those were some European countries, Brazil, Iran, China due to Covid19. My husband does not want to risk anything or be denied at the border and it seems safer that I travel him in Colombia instead...

3 hours ago, jdv2019 said:

Apparently the foreign fiancés posting here recently have been able to get around this.  Am I missing something?

Is she now in France? If so, she can travel to an unrestricted country (Mexico, Turkey, Serbia, South Korea, etc.) for 14 days and then go to the US with ESTA:

2 hours ago, Angell Beal said:

I believe there are some countries that cannot travel to USA.

Note that the restrictions are not based on nationality. They are based on presence in certain countries in the 14 days preceding US entry attempt.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Is she now in France? If so, she can travel to an unrestricted country (Mexico, Turkey, Serbia, South Korea, etc.) for 14 days and then go to the US with ESTA:

Note that the restrictions are not based on nationality. They are based on presence in certain countries in the 14 days preceding US entry attempt.

Oh yes. This was better stated. Thank you for the clarification.

10 hours ago, Angell Beal said:

I believe there are some countries that cannot travel to USA. I believe those were some European countries, Brazil, Iran, China due to Covid19. My husband does not want to risk anything or be denied at the border and it seems safer that I travel him in Colombia instead...

If you are a US citizen, your husband is exempted from the travel ban, even if he has recently been present in the countries included in the proclamation.  If he wants to visit you in the US, he needs to bring your marriage certificate and your proof of US citizenship to present to airline staff or immigration officers if asked.  As always, entry to the US is at the discretion of CBP at POE.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:54 AM, ITMFA said:

*UPDATE* - I entered the US on Monday evening via pre-clearance in Victoria BC, Canada. The officer was very nice, and asked me all about my last attempt to enter when I was turned back in September. He let me explain what had happened, and wasn't at all aggressive or unpleasant. He looked at everything I had brought with me as evidence of ties to Canada (tax returns, proof of address, pay stubs and letters from employers), as well as the NOA1 for my K-1 petition (received in January). He made sure that I realized the consequences of trying to overstay my visit, and asked me to stop by the US immigration office when I get back in 12 days' time to prove to them that I came home. I'm really glad I made the effort to visit, although I'm aware that it's up to each individual officer to make the call...Just thought I'd update my story! Best of luck to everyone out there trying to visit their partners during this process :) 

I have had this happened to me in September 2020. I'm glad I came across your post. I wanted to know if your usual POE was always Vancouver or was it like you were denied entry at another POE and you tried to go thru Vancouver cus maybe it was closer. I got denied at Pearson Airport and given that we are unclear where land border is open, I am anxious but willing to try in Jan 2021.

In my most recent visit in 2020, I had stayed on B2 visa for about 5.5 months but well under my alloted visa time and didn't overstay. I had visited my partner a year before in 2019 a couple times like 5 times maybe and never overstayed and only stayed for 1or 2 month.

As for CBP officer, they had stopped me and asked if I have a return ticket (and for the first time I didn't) and secondly when I told them I am visiting my fiance, they asked why again? Since I have just spent 5 months and that's good enough. Then told me to spend more time in Canada. However, clearly told me to come back with proof of ties to Canada. Also I did mention I was unemployed so he said to bring Affidavit or declaration signed by parents to how they support you and other stuff whatever I can. Also told me I can retry whenever, as long as I have proofs. I signed the Withdrawal paperwork and they never stamped my passport.

Now, I have a job full time starting end of October. I also have cell phone bills under my name. I have a lease with my name listed as one of the occupants since I live with my family and lease is under my dads name. Other stuff I can bring is Income Tax Return, my driver's license to show the current resident as I just got it in 2019 and bank statements to show the funds.

My main concern is  should I try going thru Pearson again or maybe Vancouver Airport. And maybe avoid airports and just go thru land border crossing. Please help

19 minutes ago, Aichamia said:

and just go thru land border crossing.

Avoid land/ferry POE because they cannot currently allow non-essential travel: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/09/23/2020-21019/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service

5 hours ago, Aichamia said:

My main concern is  should I try going thru Pearson again or maybe Vancouver Airport.

Whichever airport you go through, CBP officers would have access to your record of denied entry at any POE or pre-clearance office.  So it won't make much of a difference which airport you pick.  Just go through the one that is most convenient for you.

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

Whichever airport you go through, CBP officers would have access to your record of denied entry at any POE or pre-clearance office.  So it won't make much of a difference which airport you pick.  Just go through the one that is most convenient for you.

So how long should I wait before I try again, since I was turned back just last month 

Also, I was going to visit my aunt in another state for her birthday, rather than going directly to see my fiance. Is that a good idea? 

What do I tell them and would they have full access to the last conversation if say I try to go after 6 months, I.e. Jan or Feb 2021.that would be good 7 months from my last visit. 

Please advice, thank you. 

7 hours ago, HRQX said:

I have heard mixed information, I have had a friend of a friend who successfully crossed from Ontario as her fiance had an accident and she wanted to go see him.

Any Canadians out here who have tried  crossing the land border and if so, what did you do and how did it go.

Which land border has higher scrutiny and which is lenient? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.