MaryJean

Older American woman younger Egyptian man

38 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and hopefully can get some advice.  There's a 29 year age difference between me and my fiance. We met online one year ago through a mutual friend and fell in love.  Although we video chat for hours and hours every day we will not be meeting in person until November. He tried to get a tourist visa back in November of 2017 and was refused.  We believe his situation has improved since that time and he's more able to now provide documentation of strong ties to Egypt so he will be trying again in August.  If he is refused again I will be flying to Egypt in November and we plan to marry there.  And then plan to apply for cr1 visa for him.  I realize that our age difference will be a red flag... However I have a Year's worth of daily chats that I can print out as evidence of our relationship.

My question is, what are the chances that they will refuse a cr1 Visa because of our age difference?

I know it's difficult to marry in Egypt but I'm willing to do all of this for us...so that we can start our life together. But I would be devastated to marry him and then be told we can't be together here in the US.

Any advice on how to better our chances?

Thank you,

MJ

Edited by MaryJean
Typo

17 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and hopefully can get some advice.  There's a 29 year age difference between me and my fiance. We met online one year ago through a mutual friend and fell in love.  Although we video chat for hours and hours every day we will not be meeting in person until November. He tried to get a tourist visa back in November of 2017 and was refused.  We believe his situation has improved since that time and he's more able to now provide documentation of strong ties to Egypt so he will be trying again in August.  If he is refused again I will be flying to Egypt in November and we plan to marry there.  And then plan to apply for cr1 visa for him.  I realize that our age difference will be a red flag... However I have a Year's worth of daily chats that I can print out as evidence of our relationship.

My question is, what are the chances that they will refuse a cr1 Visa because of our age difference?

I know it's difficult to marry in Egypt but I'm willing to do all of this for us...so that we can start our life together. But I would be devastated to marry him and then be told we can't be together here in the US.

Any advice on how to better our chances?

Thank you,

MJ

I strongly advise that before you marry, you plan several visits, you visit him and he visits you, meet his family and friends and vice versa. And document it all. Then if you still feel you're called to be married to him, marry him and file.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I think if u go there and marry on your first visit, with all the other red flags (age difference,...) it will be very difficult for him to get his visa. 

In my opinion  you should plan a couple trips, which I know is expensive and time consuming but I think it will be in you favor in the end!! 

He is not able to visit me here in the US, otherwise he would be here already. It's not easy getting a tourist visa out of Egypt.  Our original plan was for him to come here on a tourist visa so that we could establish are in person face-to-face relationship and then apply for a K-1 Visa after he returned to Egypt.  Because he was already denied once for a tourist visa and most likely he will be denied again when he tries in August we've decided that plan B will be for me to come there and marry him.  

I have met all of his family and interact with them almost daily during our chats.  

And yes, you can really get to know someone this way.

He does not care to have children. My children are grown adults now and yes I am divorced.

We are not the same religion.

He speaks English.

Everyone in both of our families approves of the relationship and we are all anxious to meet and spend time together.  No One In Our Lives who know us doubt the validity of our relationship because they have seen it grow and Blossom over the last year.  

I wish I had the means and luxury of traveling back and forth to Egypt but I am not a rich woman and I have commitments here that prevent me from traveling. I'm lucky that I'm managing to get there for one visit. And I can't relocate to Egypt.  

I realize that the Consular officer has all the power in the world to judge our relationship and just a few minutes but it seems so unfair that someone who doesn't know us gets to make such an important decision that will affect both of our lives forever.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Also, does his family know about you? Have you talked to them before, and what is your relationship with them like? If you go there, will you spend time with his family? How do they feel about his relationship with you? What do you two have in common? 

These are things that a US consular officer would look at, and what you should consider as well. Also, how would you feel about moving to Egypt? What would his reaction be if you proposed to move there? Some things to think about...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, MaryJean said:

He is not able to visit me here in the US, otherwise he would be here already. It's not easy getting a tourist visa out of Egypt.  Our original plan was for him to come here on a tourist visa so that we could establish are in person face-to-face relationship and then apply for a K-1 Visa after he returned to Egypt.  Because he was already denied once for a tourist visa and most likely he will be denied again when he tries in August we've decided that plan B will be for me to come there and marry him.  

I have met all of his family and interact with them almost daily during our chats.  

And yes, you can really get to know someone this way.

He does not care to have children. My children are grown adults now and yes I am divorced.

We are not the same religion.

He speaks English.

Everyone in both of our families approves of the relationship and we are all anxious to meet and spend time together.  No One In Our Lives who know us doubt the validity of our relationship because they have seen it grow and Blossom over the last year.  

I wish I had the means and luxury of traveling back and forth to Egypt but I am not a rich woman and I have commitments here that prevent me from traveling. I'm lucky that I'm managing to get there for one visit. And I can't relocate to Egypt.  

I realize that the Consular officer has all the power in the world to judge our relationship and just a few minutes but it seems so unfair that someone who doesn't know us gets to make such an important decision that will affect both of our lives forever.

But the staff are versed in cultural norms and surely you must know that your relationship is entirely outside of the bounds of cultural norms

How long are you planning to stay on this trip, are you staying with his family, are you having a traditional wedding and who is paying for the wedding

also, do you intend to visit again after the wedding and before the visa interview

and most importantly, in the event he is not granted the visa, do you have a plan B for that?

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You've received a lot of good advice and I hope that you at least consider what everyone here is trying to say. They are not saying it to be cruel or unfair, rather it's because they actually want you to have a good visa outcome, even if it means waiting a bit longer before jumping into the visa process. We've seen too many cases of visa/marriage fraud to be overly optimistic. Not saying that this is your case, however the history of fraud marriages happening in Egypt and in the MENA region in general make it easy to be overly cautious. 

I also strongly suggest that you make at least 1 initial trip to Egypt before committing to marriage. The Cairo embassy is notoriously difficult, many couples who don't have any so called 'red flags' are still placed under months of AP and cases that seem strong can be denied. Make at least 1 trip to get to know him in person. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I met my husband on a trip I took with a friend to Egypt in 2009.

In 2012 he tried for a visitor visa and was denied.  He brought evidence to the interview, but they did not want to see any of it.  Within two minutes he was denied.  So, I went in May of 2012 to meet him again and decide what we should do.  We ended up filing a K1 visa.  It was not easy.  My husband is 11+ years younger than me.  I come from a Christian family.  He comes from a Muslim family.  I was close to not being child-bearing age (we have no children still).  One of the big questions they asked was why when he applied for a visitor visa did he say I was a friend, but now I'm petitioning for him as a fiance.  His response was that prior to our meeting in May 2012 (when he applied to visit), we hadn't seen each other and didn't know if we'd date or just be friends.  After seeing each other, it was confirmed.

His interview was long and hard.  He speaks awesome English, but they really looked over all the evidence with a fine tooth comb.  He was not approved at the interview.  They actually wanted to make sure we weren't already married.  All in all, it worked out.  However, I was able to visit him.  I visited him about 5 times prior to his approval...once being 70 days.  I teach school, so that made it easier for me.  

Each case is individual, but things I'd consider:

What did he say he was going to do in the US when he applied and will apply for the next visitor visa?  Did he say he was coming to visit you, a fiancee?

Is there a chance, even if it's during your application is being processed, that you could visit him a second time?

When you visit, be thinking of things you could do to build up the evidence.  If you are going to add him to property or life insurance or accounts, will you need a signature?            If so, bring those documents.

All in all, if you are going to marry and petition, begin to think now about how you can strengthen the application you will submit.  

Edited by visaqueries

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
56 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

No matter how many hours a day you spend talking online you never really know someone until you get some face time in.  Going over there for a short trip and marrying is a very bad idea. You will need a lot of face time to overcome a 29 year age difference.  With that difference I assume you are past child bearing age and that is a huge red flag.  Humans want to reproduce in general, for a young man from most cultures that is a sign of their manhood and not something they would toss aside for "love"   If you are not staying st least a month when you travel I would suggest not marrying until a second trip otherwise you have about a zero percent chance at getting a visa the fist time around.

good advice

chances of him getting tourist visit with an american gf are slim

i would plan a meeting with him in another neutral type country 

then plan on the marriage (second meeting)

they do not like marriages on 1st meeting and that will be mentioned as an issue

we also have big age difference / took me 6 trips to get approved (all 1 month to 3 months)

they will not write it is about age but it will be

i had to add him to deed, TAX returns, bank account / we had to commingle assests to be approved

write a personal note and i will share our story 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.