joanamber

How soon did you find your first job?

131 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 4/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, moosy said:

Been looking for 4 months in my field now (social research). Been very close a few times to the point where they decided between two people but the others person got it (so far, actually based on our research, they said). 

I tried looking for a job before I got a work authorization, but one of the first questions I kept getting online is "are you legally allowed to work at this moment", and then I had to answer "no", because I do not want to be dishonest. That obviously disqualifies you. For a domain that is very slow-moving like academia, this basically means I am adding months to my job search. Luckily I have savings.

I have to note that I have been looking for jobs suited to my field and only to jobs that got me excited to apply, so I think in total, I applied less than 30 times over the past 4 months.

If I hit the 6 month mark without getting close again, I might change tactics, but for now, I have time to look for a job I actually want to do.

I have been writing some more articles on data I still had, and learning a few new skills and programs that are sometimes asked.

For higher education jobs, the competition is quite tough. You're looking at thousands of competitors in larger cities, if not more.

So far, I do not get picked out by the recruiters, but by the company people themselves because "my resume is interesting" and "caught their eye" (I used illustrator to make it stand out a bit, but not too much).

I do wonder what recruiters look for instead (I looked online a lot, and do not see any discrepancies with what I am offering).

It makes me wonder if they assume it is just easier to pick a native speaker. So far, I've always been the only non-native speaker. But it is anyone's guess.

In addition, some told me they had never heard of my university, despite it being ranked very high in all the global university lists; so if you have a great degree from a great university, do think about this and perhaps add ranking numbers from a few good ranking lists.

One more comment if you are in a similar situation as I am, wherein you want a job that fits your degree and abilities:

if you are running into fellow expats who are not supportive, just cut them off.

Unfortunately, I learnt by experience that some expats are frustrated and angry that they were not able to do the same (taking the time to get a job like that), and had to start from scratch. 

I have been TOLD (almost demandingly) by some other expats that I "should just get a job" and that I need to "get off my high horse if I think I deserve a job that actually fits my degrees". "You must feel so much better than us".

I have even been mocked by an expat peer for having a certain degree, and was told I must think I am sooo much smarter than anyone else (despite not naming the degree in the expat group nor implying I am in any way smarter; I am not; I married someone without a degree, so I know how many faces intelligence has other than just academic skills haha).

If you are unsure if it is you, or them, go through the forum or website you are on, and look at how they react to others in a similar job search. That will tell you all you need to know.

If you are in a similar position, consider moving away from your expat community and only retain the expats that are supportive or have gone through a similar search path. The negative ones can really drag you down and make you wonder.

This is VERY common, by the way.

Good luck!

Hi I totally agree with you and I can relate to it. I have applied to so many jobs but end up getting looked over. I have a Masters Degree and I have heard similar stuff. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:45 PM, joanamber said:

Hi!

How soon did you find your first job upon arriving in America? Was it hard to find a job? How much was your hourly salary?

I hope you can give me some ideas. Going to America this end of May and I want to have a job when I arrive there.

Thank you!

I didn't start looking for a job until after a year from my arrival. It took me 2 weeks to get a job. I was probably just at the right place at the right time. I went to a job fair. I'm making $35 an hour. 

My advise is to update your resume to the US Format (no picture, religion, etc. that you'd commonly see in our version of resume) and just keep trying. Go to job fairs and network.

**N-400** 06-27-2018 : N-400 online & NOA1 || 07-07-18 : received Bio Appt e-mail notification || 07-27-18 : Biometrics reviewed || 09-25-18 : OFFICIAL 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY || 11-06-18 : Interview 

|| 12-18-2018 : APPROVED; in line to be scheduled for Oathtaking || 02-11-19 : OATHTAKING CEREMONY --

**ROC** (pending)  07-26-2017 : I-751 sent || 07-31-2017 : NOA1 || 09-05-2017 : Biometrics || 08-09-2018 : Case transferred to local office || 12-18-2018 : Card in production || 12-26-18 : received GC --

**AOS/EAD/AP** 02-20-2015 : AOS filed || 02-24-2015 : NOA1 || 03-19-2015 : Biometrics || 04-30-2015 : EAD&AP approved || 05-05-2015 : EAD&AP received || 09-25-2015 : Conditional GC approved || 10-02-2015 : GC received --

**K-1** 08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent || 08-14-2014 : NOA1 || 09-03-2014 : NOA2 || 09-10-2014 : Petition transferred from USCIS to NVC || 09-18-2014 : NVC received || 09-24-2014 : US Embassy MNL received our case || 10-14-2014 : Medical Exam done! || 10-23-2014 : Interview || 10-31-2014 : Passport & Visa on hand --

• 1 month later...

Took me about six months. I got a job offer on month four, but I decided the offer was too low (non-profit). Almost got one on month five but they chose to hire internally (federal contractor). Finally got an offer from one that I really liked (university research institute) on month six. I was on OPT and my employer offered an H1B.

Throughout the six months, I was bunking with my mother and sister (for free) and working as a Starbucks barista in the mornings (gas money). I worked on job applications in the afternoons. I gave my mom and sister all my Starbucks perks (free coffee, free pastries at the end of the day). They were happy with that :) 

Edited by Blue Bianchi

Blue Bianchi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

01/08/2020 Day 00 - Submitted N-400 online

01/11/2020 Day 03 - Received NOA online, Priority Date January 8, 2020

01/14/2020 Day 06 - Received notice of Biometrics appointment online.

01/31/2020 Day 20 - Biometrics Appointment (scheduled)
07/08/2020 Day 183 - Received online notice of citizenship interview 
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship interview
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship Oath (Same day as interview!)

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Finding a job ended up being a lot easier than I add anticipated. After taking a 5 months break after arriving in this country, I started sending applications on May 10th.

I started as a contractor ($65/hr) on June 4th in a small firm, while I was still interviewing with a larger one.

They made a pretty good offer mid-july and am working with since then (135k a year). 

I have a master degree in architecture with 20 years of experience owning a business.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

It took me two and a half months after my arrival to land a job in IT support. The pay was ~$45,000 per year, but I lasted only ~6 months there. The environment became a bit too toxic for me to remain there. The work was okay, and there was room for career advancement, but I just could not tolerate someone senior in management. Nonetheless we parted ways amicably.

I am now back to square one; have to repeat the entire process again!

• 4 weeks later...

I think I might be self employed for the first six months and be applying for jobs in that time. I hope to go back to school in a year's time also. I'm so nervous about everything. From driving, to working, to everything being so different. But also I want to get into work as soon as I can or I will lose my confidence and never want to do anything! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2018 at 4:26 AM, Chris Duffy said:

I suggest slowing down.  Take about 6 months or a year to adjust.  Learn the way of the USA, our culture, our tax system, the people to avoid.

When I brought my fiancé to the USA I had no desire for her to go work,  You have you entire life to work,  enjoy the ride and experience life.  Life is not about working, it's about living.

I feel sorry for the people who I see come to the USA and go directly to work, what kind of life is that?  I also see people posting stuff like when can my fiancé or husband work?  I think to myself did you marry for love or marry for an extra income, jeez.

i tried to tell that to my fiancee, but she said she wants to work so we can build our life together right away.  she said she doesn't want me to have to work so hard. then again, she is used to working 60 hours a week, with only 1 day off and has been doing it for about 10 years. it will be a shock to her that even with a min wage job only working 40 hours a week she will be making more than she is making now. i am trying to tell her how things are different here than what she is used to, but she is as stubborn as i am...... guess thats one of the reasons we love each other

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

11 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

i tried to tell that to my fiancee, but she said she wants to work so we can build our life together right away.  she said she doesn't want me to have to work so hard. then again, she is used to working 60 hours a week, with only 1 day off and has been doing it for about 10 years. it will be a shock to her that even with a min wage job only working 40 hours a week she will be making more than she is making now. i am trying to tell her how things are different here than what she is used to, but she is as stubborn as i am...... guess thats one of the reasons we love each other

lol I know where she is coming from. If you are so used to working then you have to stay home and do nothing even with house works and stuff, it will definitely get you bored. She can just keep trying until she gets the one that she likes.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My husband just accepted a job offer today and received his EAD about 2 weeks ago and it was a LOT easier than we expected.  

I truly think  most companies do not care so  much about the EAD; he was competing with 5 other  people for the same job and was the  only one to receive  the offer. I was pretty shocked because he was competing with people from better universities and he didn't have a US education. It was a very good offer as well. I don't think his immigration status hindered his  ability to get the job.

He is a RPA (Robotics Process Automation) Financial Consultant. 

9/1/2015: Met at London Uni

10/18/2015: Started dating :)

6/24/2017: Got engaged!

7/14/2017: Sent i-129F

7/17/2017: NOA1

1/26/2018: NOA2

1/30/2018: Notified of NOA2 on website

2/2/2018: Received NOA2 in the mail

2/6/2018: NVC Recieved

2/6/2018: NVC Case # Assigned

2/9/2018: NVC left for Mumbai Consulate

2/12/2018: Mumbai Consulate Received Case

3/29/2018: Medical in Mumbai

4/3/2018: OFC Appointment (Biometrics)

4/6/2018: Interview: APPROVED

4/13/2018: Visa Status: "Issued"

4/16/2018: POE

6/15/2018: Wedding

7/9/2018: Sent in AP, EAD and AOS

7/16/2018: Fingerprint Recieved

7/17/2018: NOA1

8/1/2018: RFE

9/4/2018: USCIS Recieved RFE

9/13/2018: Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/15/2018: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD)

On 12/10/2018 at 2:28 PM, mcgee201 said:

My husband just accepted a job offer today and received his EAD about 2 weeks ago and it was a LOT easier than we expected.  

I truly think  most companies do not care so  much about the EAD; he was competing with 5 other  people for the same job and was the  only one to receive  the offer. I was pretty shocked because he was competing with people from better universities and he didn't have a US education. It was a very good offer as well. I don't think his immigration status hindered his  ability to get the job.

He is a RPA (Robotics Process Automation) Financial Consultant. 

US education is not important for all employers, many don't care at all. It makes a difference in some fields, but not others. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

US education is not important for all employers, many don't care at all. It makes a difference in some fields, but not others. 

I would suspect that some employers might see a foreign education or employee as more desirable, as they could bring a fresh perspective to a company. 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

I would suspect that some employers might see a foreign education or employee as more desirable, as they could bring a fresh perspective to a company. 

This is a good "selling point" when communicating with employers.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.