joanamber

How soon did you find your first job?

131 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, POA said:

It is hard to find a job here! I was offered a job little over a month after I started applying. The initial offer was $10.30 BUT I was denied with the background check because of the incorrect format of my name in my SSN. 

Just FYI, this is illegal. An employer must give you a pre-adverse notice before they refuse to hire you based on your background check. Then they must give you some time (at least two weeks), as well contact information for you to dispute the results. 

I'm still in K1 process in my home country, My certifications  are valid almost over the world and i can get new ones( like my current work pay for it)...  It is a multinational company and the headquarter is in Miami....I'm able to do the transfer to there but my fiancee has a very good job in Illinois and i do not wanna be away of him...

So everyday like a daily task ...I am looking for jobs online and making a requirement's list with the aptitudes that match in almost every offer in my field(network engineer)... So i'm learning and getting new certifications according or base on that premise....

Because i like to work... and i want to help my future husband once i living abroad... even if it's a job that is not in my field! but just for make an start... (Uber is a good option too meanwhile if u have a car....) Or a new opportunity to learn new things

Edited by Kyle&Ana

04/04/18  - Mailed I-129F

04/06/18 -  NOA1 notice date email/text

10/18/18 -  RFE notification

10/22/18 -  RFE received in mail

11/01/18 -  RFE sent to USCIS

11/06/18 -  RFE received by USCIS

11/14/18 -  NOA2

11/27/18 - NVC Received

12/12/18 - NVC Case number

01/8/19 - Scheduled interview-APPROVED

01/21/19 - POE! 

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone; it has merely shown me that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall.

Ky-G team ❤️

When you walk awayI count the steps that you take

age.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: Bahamas
Timeline
18 hours ago, joanamber said:

Hi!

How soon did you find your first job upon arriving in America? Was it hard to find a job? How much was your hourly salary?

I hope you can give me some ideas. Going to America this end of May and I want to have a job when I arrive there.

Thank you!

Start applying now...I received my greencard in Aug 2016, I immediately began applying for jobs, I started work Feb 2017. Got an administrative job with the city.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It took my husband exactly a year from when he came to when he got hired in a job in his field.  Sadly we figured about about 8 months into his search that he wasn't getting any calls because of his name.  He changed the name on his resume to an American sounding nickname and all of the sudden interview calls galore.  So that may be something to consider for folks who are having a hard time getting interviews.

Petitioner: U.S. Citizen living in U.S. Beneficiary: Egyptian Citizen living in Egypt Seychelles United States!

Visa type: CR-1

01-06-14 Married

03-21-14 Priority Date (Nebraska Service Center)

03-25-14 NOA1

08-26-14 Approved! 5 months, 5 days

09-04-14 shipped to NVC per USCIS website

10-09-14 NVC "received"

10-28-14 Case #

10-30-14 DS261/AOS fee

12-02-14 IV fee

12-03-14 Sent Package

01-30-15 Case Complete! 5 months at NVC with no checklists

03-25-15 Received Interview Letter, date is 05/14/15

05-14-15 Interview Result: APPROVED!

06-08-15 25 days later...CEAC finally shows READY

06-11-15 Visa in Hand

06-15-15 POE in Philadelphia

Total Time from Sending Petition to Visa in Hand: 14 months, 3 weeks

Currently in I-751 ROC and N-400 Citizenship processes.  See Timeline for Details.

14 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Just FYI, this is illegal. An employer must give you a pre-adverse notice before they refuse to hire you based on your background check. Then they must give you some time (at least two weeks), as well contact information for you to dispute the results. 

Correct. My e-verify was initially rejected because I had my maiden name on my Social Security Card and my married name on my EAD. The Social Security Office would not change it without an EAD, and I started working as soon as my EAD arrived so there was no time to have it changed. My employer gave me an official notice, and I think I had 10 business days to get it fixed, which was very easily done. I could keep working while it was getting resolved.

50 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

We thought of talking to someone about it but we decided to let it go since the offer isn't that good anyway. But I didn't personally know that this is illegal. Thank you for the information! I was even done with my drug test then lol. 

Got a job 1 month after moving here. I am on Actuarial Science field and I guess I am lucky as there are very few people who take this course and is always on demand. Though, the first job I got is not on this field. It is a programmer job but I got bored after a month as that job is not meant for me so I quit. But I found the Actuarial science job before I quit the programmer job. Been here with my job for almost two years and loving it.

I do have a driver's license, though, I do not drive to work as there is a bus that goes through my workplace and just few minutes walk. 

I believe it help me a lot when I got a US reference before moving here. I worked in a BPO company in the Philippines with main office in Pennsylvania and my bosses there knew I am moving here and they agreed to be my reference.

I applied on hundreds of job applications before landing my first job. I polished my resume and like some poster said use the key words from the job description you are applying to.

I've been reading this and sharing the advice with my husband. We got married last week and we are filling out all the paperwork now. He's really nervous about this whole process. He was just offered a job under-the-table a few days ago but doesn't want to take it and have a problem, of course. He only hopes to have similar luck when he is actually legal! 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

My fiance has some connections in this area, and he already has some promising leads for jobs. Is he allowed to apply for a job here even before we apply for EAD? I don't know if they would wait for him but they some companies have implied they would. I just want to make sure he doesn't do anything illegal. 

He really enjoys job hunting though, and I think that giving him some goal to focus on (applications, interviews, etc) will help him deal with the adjustment (instead of just sitting at home alone while I work all day). 

Just for context, we're still waiting for NOA2 for K1. 

Edited by kanderson101

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, kanderson101 said:

My fiance has some connections in this area, and he already has some promising leads for jobs. Is he allowed to apply for a job here even before we apply for EAD? I don't know if they would wait for him but they some companies have implied they would. I just want to make sure he doesn't do anything illegal. 

As long as he doesn't misrepresent his status, it shouldn't be an issue.  He should take special care to never claim to be a USC until he is one, if he does make that step one day.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
10 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

As long as he doesn't misrepresent his status, it shouldn't be an issue.  He should take special care to never claim to be a USC until he is one, if he does make that step one day.

This is good advice. It seems pretty obvious I think but I can see how someone could mistakenly imply they're a US citizen. Honestly before I started this process I didn't really understand what qualified someone as a "citizen" and what didn't. Thanks for the advice! 

10 hours ago, POA said:

I hear you but some people like myself can't imagine life without working. I need a job to stay sane and cannot just let my husband work alone. My other reason is, I didn't get married just to be taken cared of. I want to be able to take care of my husband too if a time comes that he is not able to. We are back up to each other.  For people like us, working is self-fulfilling.  For some, being a full-time housewife is fulfilling. Not to mention for us Filipinos, most of us usually have the "responsibility" to our families. 

I totally agree with you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.