joanamber

How soon did you find your first job?

131 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

It took me two weeks with very weak English level. My salary was around $2,000/month.

Now, 10 years later, I have good English and about $300,000/year salary. USA made me do it!

what field are you in?

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

9 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

It took me two weeks with very weak English level. My salary was around $2,000/month.

Now, 10 years later, I have good English and about $300,000/year salary. USA made me do it!

Wow!!!! Hopefully, I can make as much as that too. :) Good job!

9 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

IT (web dev)

do you have a masters or mba too?

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

2 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

Thanks :) Yes, just work on yourself every day. Before you go to sleep, ask yourself: "what did I do today to make my tomorrow better? what can I do tomorrow to make the next day even better?"

In a few years, you will see a significant difference (of course, if you know what you're doing).

That is a very good advice!! I will keep that in mind. I am also in the process of getting to the development career. :) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
2 hours ago, doggieandsam said:

do you have a masters or mba too?

No, I have not even finished my university :) It's not really needed in IT, to be honest. I am a completely self-taught guy.

2 hours ago, POA said:

That is a very good advice!! I will keep that in mind. I am also in the process of getting to the development career. :) 

Good luck! You will get there!

Edited by TBoneTX
circumventing language filter

2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

No, I have not even finished my university :) It's not really needed in IT, to be honest. I am a completely self-taught guy.

Good luck! You will get there!

Thank you! Crossed fingers and hard work! :) You must be very good! 

Edited by TBoneTX
language in quote

2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

oh wow. my husband has a masters of computer science from an ivy league university and doesn't make 300k. his classmates from the same ivy league are VPs at fortune 500 companies and the highest paid is not yet at 300k. you must be really lucky or nyc pays web devs so much more.

Edited by TBoneTX
language in quote

your 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
3 minutes ago, POA said:

Thank you! Crossed fingers and hard work! :) You must be very good! 

Trying to be better every day!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Been looking for 4 months in my field now (social research). Been very close a few times to the point where they decided between two people but the others person got it (so far, actually based on our research, they said). 

I tried looking for a job before I got a work authorization, but one of the first questions I kept getting online is "are you legally allowed to work at this moment", and then I had to answer "no", because I do not want to be dishonest. That obviously disqualifies you. For a domain that is very slow-moving like academia, this basically means I am adding months to my job search. Luckily I have savings.

I have to note that I have been looking for jobs suited to my field and only to jobs that got me excited to apply, so I think in total, I applied less than 30 times over the past 4 months.

If I hit the 6 month mark without getting close again, I might change tactics, but for now, I have time to look for a job I actually want to do.

I have been writing some more articles on data I still had, and learning a few new skills and programs that are sometimes asked.

For higher education jobs, the competition is quite tough. You're looking at thousands of competitors in larger cities, if not more.

So far, I do not get picked out by the recruiters, but by the company people themselves because "my resume is interesting" and "caught their eye" (I used illustrator to make it stand out a bit, but not too much).

I do wonder what recruiters look for instead (I looked online a lot, and do not see any discrepancies with what I am offering).

It makes me wonder if they assume it is just easier to pick a native speaker. So far, I've always been the only non-native speaker. But it is anyone's guess.

In addition, some told me they had never heard of my university, despite it being ranked very high in all the global university lists; so if you have a great degree from a great university, do think about this and perhaps add ranking numbers from a few good ranking lists.

One more comment if you are in a similar situation as I am, wherein you want a job that fits your degree and abilities:

if you are running into fellow expats who are not supportive, just cut them off.

Unfortunately, I learnt by experience that some expats are frustrated and angry that they were not able to do the same (taking the time to get a job like that), and had to start from scratch. 

I have been TOLD (almost demandingly) by some other expats that I "should just get a job" and that I need to "get off my high horse if I think I deserve a job that actually fits my degrees". "You must feel so much better than us".

I have even been mocked by an expat peer for having a certain degree, and was told I must think I am sooo much smarter than anyone else (despite not naming the degree in the expat group nor implying I am in any way smarter; I am not; I married someone without a degree, so I know how many faces intelligence has other than just academic skills haha).

If you are unsure if it is you, or them, go through the forum or website you are on, and look at how they react to others in a similar job search. That will tell you all you need to know.

If you are in a similar position, consider moving away from your expat community and only retain the expats that are supportive or have gone through a similar search path. The negative ones can really drag you down and make you wonder.

This is VERY common, by the way.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.