artemisa12

Trump ending chain migration ? any way i can apply for my parents without being citizen now?

22 posts in this topic

I currently am waiting for my 10 year gc(marriage based),this coming may 2018 it's gonna be 3 years since i became a permanent resident.(can i file for citizenship 90 days prior ? even though i dont even have my 10 year gc yet)

now since trump wants to stop "chain migration" im getting scared i won't be able to bring my parents to the US.

can i  file i-130 now even though im not a citizen yet ? at least to get in before everything is changed ? is that possible ? or is there nothing i can do but wait ?

thanks for your help

Edited by artemisa12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You have to wait.

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, artemisa12 said:

I currently am waiting for my 10 year gc(marriage based),this coming may 2018 it's gonna be 3 years since i became a permanent resident.(can i file for citizenship 90 days prior ? even though i dont even have my 10 year gc yet)  Yes

now since trump wants to stop "chain migration" im getting scared i won't be able to bring my parents to the US.  Was that the intent for your marriage? 

can i  file i-130 now even though im not a citizen yet ?  No  at least to get in before everything is changed ?  No is that possible ?  No or is there nothing i can do but wait ?  You can only wait to see what legislation is finally passed.

thanks for your help Nobody can help you.  Everything depends on what is negotiated and finally passed into legislation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I didn’t come here just to bring my family, as thank God, they are not living in Venezuela (things are HORRIBLE down there) they are spaniard citizens and they have been living there for the last 10’years...but as an US citizen it kinds of sucks knowing that I might not have that privilege down the road (I know immigration benefits are just that, benefits...not rights).

Especially now that my husband and I are raising our babies, it’s hard not to have my parents there to watch our children grow. They do visit during summer time and xmas but is not the same. But it is what it is....

besides parents what other kind of petitions are going to dissapear if that law is approved ? I saw the news about but honestly, haven’t pay too much attention to it. Is the k1 visa also included?

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

31 minutes ago, Andrea&Henry said:

I didn’t come here just to bring my family, as thank God, they are not living in Venezuela (things are HORRIBLE down there) they are spaniard citizens and they have been living there for the last 10’years...but as an US citizen it kinds of sucks knowing that I might not have that privilege down the road (I know immigration benefits are just that, benefits...not rights).

Especially now that my husband and I are raising our babies, it’s hard not to have my parents there to watch our children grow. They do visit during summer time and xmas but is not the same. But it is what it is....

besides parents what other kind of petitions are going to dissapear if that law is approved ? I saw the news about but honestly, haven’t pay too much attention to it. Is the k1 visa also included?

There is talk of eliminating the sibling, parent, and DV lottery categories.

Will not effect K1 visas. Visas pertaining to spouses and minor children are safe.

You can see the long discussion about it in this thread...

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, Andrea&Henry said:

Leaving family behind is a choice each person makes when they emigrate. Yes it’s difficult, but it’s something you choose to do when you emigrate. The US is ridiculously generous with the extent of family it allows citizens to sponsor. I’m not aware of any other country that allows anywhere near the same extent.

Sibling visas (which often end up being nephew/niece visas too as the sibling can bring his or her entire family if minor children) and adult/married children are proposed to come under the chopping block too. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

There is talk of eliminating the sibling, parent, and DV lottery categories.

Will not effect K1 visas. Visas pertaining to spouses and minor children are safe.

You can see the long discussion about it in this thread...

Oh thank you!

yes! I already heard about the elimination of the siblings which at this point is pretty much obsolete, as they are processing cases from 10 years ago. And I do heard also about the diversity visa. Thank you for sharing

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all-

I wrote my congressman this morning to get some answers regarding "minor children". Would like some thoughts/opinions. Currently there are 2 categories-under 21=child...Over 21 adult son/daughter. Do you think they will change it to 18 and under? If so they will need to change the CSPA act. Could this be a negotiating point? What happens with all the petitions currently in the pipeline?

I am a LPR, Son will be turning 18 in August 2019. I am eligible for citizenship.

Thoughts?

Anna

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Leaving family behind is a choice each person makes when they emigrate. Yes it’s difficult, but it’s something you choose to do when you emigrate. The US is ridiculously generous with the extent of family it allows citizens to sponsor. I’m not aware of any other country that allows anywhere near the same extent.

Sibling visas (which often end up being nephew/niece visas too as the sibling can bring his or her entire family if minor children) and adult/married children are proposed to come under the chopping block too. 

Noone is saying otherwise, and I everyone knows what are they signing up when they make the choice...still it sucks specially having small children and seeing more than likely my children are going to grow up without their grandparents around.

In my case, it was only them as my siblings (all spaniard citizens) they do not like America to live, they rather to live in Europe. 

But I see the background on that desicion especially on the rise of “anchor babies”, which here ln south florida, is out of control

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Holdanna said:

Hi all-

I wrote my congressman this morning to get some answers regarding "minor children". Would like some thoughts/opinions. Currently there are 2 categories-under 21=child...Over 21 adult son/daughter. Do you think they will change it to 18 and under? If so they will need to change the CSPA act. Could this be a negotiating point? What happens with all the petitions currently in the pipeline?

I am a LPR, Son will be turning 18 in August 2019. I am eligible for citizenship.

Thoughts?

Anna

As to the specific changes for those categories I am not sure myself. From what I had heard, the offer laid out already by the White House and Trump would keep all current petitions processing, and use the DV lottery slots(when it is axed) to help speed up the backlog of family petitions that are processing; but again this didn't go over well in congress so... the debating continues.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.