artemisa12

Trump ending chain migration ? any way i can apply for my parents without being citizen now?

22 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Holdanna said:

Hi all-

I wrote my congressman this morning to get some answers regarding "minor children". Would like some thoughts/opinions. Currently there are 2 categories-under 21=child...Over 21 adult son/daughter. Do you think they will change it to 18 and under? If so they will need to change the CSPA act. Could this be a negotiating point? What happens with all the petitions currently in the pipeline?

I am a LPR, Son will be turning 18 in August 2019. I am eligible for citizenship.

Thoughts?

Anna

The White House is proposing changing to 18 and under. I’m hoping they’re doing that as a bargaining chip, given that many children between 18 and 21 are in some kind of post-school education and still financially dependent on their parents. Also, if they’re not old enough to be legally allowed to drink alcohol in the US surely they should still be under parental control :D 

if you want to be sure...I’d suggest you start the process of naturalizing now and (assuming your son lives with you) he will automatically naturalize with you. There are a lot of reports of 6 months or more backlogs of people waiting for naturalization interviews.

48 minutes ago, Andrea&Henry said:

But I see the background on that desicion especially on the rise of “anchor babies”, which here ln south florida, is out of control

Precisely. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 hours ago, artemisa12 said:

I currently am waiting for my 10 year gc(marriage based),this coming may 2018 it's gonna be 3 years since i became a permanent resident.(can i file for citizenship 90 days prior ? even though i dont even have my 10 year gc yet)

now since trump wants to stop "chain migration" im getting scared i won't be able to bring my parents to the US.

can i  file i-130 now even though im not a citizen yet ? at least to get in before everything is changed ? is that possible ? or is there nothing i can do but wait ?

thanks for your help

Question: Medical is extremely expensive in the US, and we know seniors need regular Doctor visits and occasional hospital stays/emergencies/surgeries ...etc... Insurance is very expensive for those with prior conditions.

Unless you are a millionaire, What are your plans for your parents medical once they immigrate here?

And to answer your question, you must be a US citizen to petition your parents to immigrate to the US.

Ps. My parents refused to relocate here; They live very nicely with a little something I send them monthly, in addition to their pensions. They do visit occasionally, but never over weeks. My father hates the fact that he can not communicate in English, and my mother can t stand the weather. 

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Timeline

1 - the earliest you can apply for citizenship is 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of the issue date on your green card.

2 - only us citizens can petition for their parents.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

9 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

not my intention no

my parents actually are comfortable in their country(denmark) and dont want to move, but i think it would be easier for them to be permanent resident.

it gives some sense of security i believe, and even though hey have never stayed longer than a month we wouldnt have to worry if they stayed longer. 

thinking about it, its probably not that of a big deal if the bill goes through. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
6 minutes ago, artemisa12 said:

not my intention no

my parents actually are comfortable in their country(denmark) and dont want to move, but i think it would be easier for them to be permanent resident.

it gives some sense of security i believe, and even though hey have never stayed longer than a month we wouldnt have to worry if they stayed longer. 

thinking about it, its probably not that of a big deal if the bill goes through. 

If you are outside of the US for too long, you are going to lose the green card as it can be considered abandoned. So probably it doesn't serve the purpose you were thinking about.

1 hour ago, SchoolBus said:

If you are outside of the US for too long, you are going to lose the green card as it can be considered abandoned. So probably it doesn't serve the purpose you were thinking about.

i didn't even think about that

well, i guess it wouldn't make any difference anyways

thanks for all the replies

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP's question has been answered, and the master thread on the topic has been referred to.  Go visit that thread and contribute as you wish.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.