28 posts in this topic

Ok I will try and lay all the info I know.

Friend is a USC and his wife is an Australian citizen.

He is a war time veteran.

Her and her 3 children came to this country about 3+ years ago on a visitors visa which was good for 3 months and never left.

He has legally adopted all 3 children. As far as the courts are concerned he is now considered their biological father and he is getting BC's from the state. Does that automatically make them USC?

She read somewhere that because he is a war time veteran she cannot be deported but was unable to confirm. Anyone know if there is truth to this?

She obviously doesn't have a green card and isn't supposed to be working in this country. Do they need to go through the normal IR1 process for her to become legal? Will there be issues? I know that she won't go back to Australia to wait for this to process, how will that play out?

As soon as he has the BC's from the state he will get them SSN numbers. Does he need to do anything with the kids?

This is a very weird case and I'm not 100% on where he should go from here. Thanks for any help.

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

She read somewhere that because he is a war time veteran she cannot be deported but was unable to confirm. Anyone know if there is truth to this?

I have never read of something like that. And I’m the wife of a veteran. 

52 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

country. Do they need to go through the normal IR1 process for her to become legal? Will there be issues? I know that she won't go back to Australia to wait for this to process, how will that play out?

She’ll adjust her status within the US. And actually she shouldn’t leave because if she does, and goes with an IR-1, she’ll have to file a waiver. 

54 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

He has legally adopted all 3 children. As far as the courts are concerned he is now considered their biological father and he is getting BC's from the state. Does that automatically make them USC?

Is that how it works? Can you just “alter” a BC even if you’re not the bio dad? I’m not so sure. And no, I’m pretty sure that doesn’t automatically makes them USC because there are certain requisites for derivative citizenship, which @Mike E is very well versed on

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. All she needs to do is file for AOS. His veteran status doesn't confer anything. She needs to pippen down and not use this as chest thumping measure. 

2. BC cannot be changed to make kids USC. So, I'm not sure what your friend is upto with the State. There BC will remain as it was, stating Australia or wherever they were born. You can't just change it to say they were born somehere in US and boom, they're now citizens. 

3. Even for adopted kids, there's a process of adoption but their BC will always state where they were born. It will not change. 

4. How's he adopting kids whose mother is his wife? What basis is he using? I'm curious. He is automatically the step-dad upon marriage. Step-dad and adoption are two different things. 

5. Having said 4 above, the only way those kids will get legal status is if the mom's papers are also filed.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is really weird, why is he messing around with adoption and ignoring their immigration status.

I can think of a few things that might be complicating factors so I suggest he gets competent legal advice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

This is a strange one.  Indeed when one adopts, the child gets a new birth certificate.  My first wife was a U.S. citizen born in the U.S. and was adopted as an infant. There was nothing on her birth certificate that indicated  she was adopted 

If these kids get U.S. birth certificates after being adopted, I suspect  when an attempt is made to get them passports, the state department will push back on the late registration of the birth certificates 

This seems to be process:  https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption/family-based-petition-process

I would get legal advice before trying to bypass I-485 / I-130. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from W, S & T Visas, from IR1/CR1 P&P - the OP's friends are inside the US and will follow the AOS route.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Friend needs to file I-485/I-130 for wife and the three children now. Kids will get their green cards as IR ( immediate relatives) based on the marriage. .

Meeting the adoption requirements ( either by Hague Convention Rules , clearly not followed here OR arguments that children are not habitual residents of Australia..gets complex). .PLUS he would have to wait another TWO years after adoption date to even try AND .between the legal fees and 3x N-600 fees..not a practical or a sound choice…

There is no hanky panky with new birth certificate…but friend needs a bit of clarity on next pragmatic step to get his new family on status soon. FILE Adj for all now. …

Leading Expert on military naturalization is Attorney Margaret Stock..

https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/after-your-child-enters-the-united-states/us-citizenship-for-an-adopted-child

Adopted children who meet the requirements of INA 101(b)(1)(E),(F), or (G) of U.S. service members or U.S. government employees, and certain children of their spouses, may automatically acquire citizenship under section 320 of the INA. This may include children of parents who are stationed and residing outside of the United States. For additional information on eligibility, see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 12, Part H, Children of U.S. Citizens, Chapter 4, Automatic Acquisition of Citizenship after Birth (INA 320).

Thank you all for the info.

So he needs to file an AOS (I-485) and the IR1 (I-130) which will cover the wife and kids? That is all?

I know this is a very screwed up situation trust me I told him that. He had a lawyer for the adoptions but didn't bother with immigration for some reason. The lawyer processed the aadoptions (yes his wife's kids) and he is currently waiting for the BC's to then get them SSN #'s which he said he has handled but I'm not sure they won't push back.

Texas Service Center

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

This is a strange one.  Indeed when one adopts, the child gets a new birth certificate.  My first wife was a U.S. citizen born in the U.S. and was adopted as an infant. There was nothing on her birth certificate that indicated  she was adopted 

If these kids get U.S. birth certificates after being adopted, I suspect  when an attempt is made to get them passports, the state department will push back on the late registration of the birth certificates 

This seems to be process:  https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption/family-based-petition-process

I would get legal advice before trying to bypass I-485 / I-130. 

Legal adoption by US Citizen will give them citizenship if they are in US and in your custody.

I adopted my step-daughter, she was issued a KY birth certificate that states she was born in Philippines.  Only other difference on the BC is it has a cryptic reference to the court order number at the bottom.

Used that birth certificate to get her US passport.

The reverse is a pain as Philippines won't recognize the adoption until its filed with the court in the philippines, requires an apostilled copy of the relevant sections of the KY adoption law as well as the court finding of facts and adoption order.

Edited by jskibo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, jskibo said:

Legal adoption by US Citizen will give them citizenship if they are in US and in your custody.

Without the adoptee having LPR status?

I adopted my step-daughter,

Was she an LPR at the time?

she was issued a KY birth certificate that states she was born in Philippines. 

Interesting 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm with @Mike E 

These kids have no immigration status and I am wondering how they go from being here illegally to citizens without addressing their immigration and green card status.

I don't know about the children, something seems off. I hope adoption and BC was obtained correctly. I am obviously not familiar with the process. I wish your friend made an account on Visa journey to explain about the adoption. I would be interested in learning about this. 

Adjustment of status for wife should be straightforward. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

@jan22 are you saying that he will have to file an AOS and I-130 for each kid and his wife?

I know the oldest is 19 right now and the others are 2-4 years behind her. They were married August 2016 in Australia. I am not sure what your definition of custody is as they have lived together since before he and his wife married. I believe the adoption was finalized this year. Lastly, I believe the bio dad has nothing to do with the kids and I would assume he signed off. I will pose these questions to him and get back to you but I believe I am pretty close to my answers.

@jskibo can you answer Mike's questions, I am interested in that info as well.

Texas Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.