Daydreamer23

Should you come out to the visa officer during interview at embassy?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline

I'd like to go sightseeing in California or New York during my university holiday season this year or next year.
I identify as a "gay" student (22) and was wondering if telling the visa officer my true reason for traveling is a good idea.

If he/she turns out homophobic, will he/she automatically deny me a B2 tourist visa on the spot? Or do they adhere to some strict moral code that prevents them from discriminating against marginalized people?
The areas I mentioned are liberal, diverse, friendly, accepting, and inspiring. For years, I've wanted to visit their gay towns, the Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood, and the Statue of Liberty.
I want to make him/her feel somewhat emotional so that he/she believes I have a valid reason for traveling.
Should I remain silent on LGBTQ issues in general? Is it a plus or a minus to reveal my sexual orientation?

never heard that people got rejected because of they're gay. 

lacking of ties to their home country usually is the ground for rejection

there's no need to use "emotional" reason when you apply for tourist visa.

sexual orientation unrelated to applying tourist visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your fiancee will be a bigger issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Why, please? I'm not going to mention him as a boyfriend or fiancee. I'll say he's a friend who will host me during my stay.

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Your fiancee will be a bigger issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You certainly need to come out about your fiancée 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Daydreamer23 said:

Why, please? I'm not going to mention him as a boyfriend or fiancee. I'll say he's a friend who will host me during my stay.

Is he your boyfriend or not?  Since you previously asked about I-129F/K1, he must be your boyfriend or fiance.  You must be truthful when asked by the interviewing officer.  The way you worded that, sounds like you intend to lie.  If you are not asked about him, no need to volunteer any information.  But if you are asked something like, "Who is Mr XYZ listed in your form?" or "Who are you staying with?", don't lie by saying, "just a friend".  You would be risking any future US immigration process if the consulate finds that you misrepresented yourself on your tourist visa application.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Oh, so you’re going to misrepresent yourself?

That, my friend, will get you in trouble. Not being gay….

We're not boyfriends because we haven't seen each other in almost two years. We're more like penpals who can't wait to meet in person.

I've heard that naming one's "boyfriend/girlfriend" isn't smart because visa officers presume every B2 applicant has immigration intent and would pursue a "green card" sponsored by his American bf/gf. The youtube channel I'm watching is: https://www.youtube.com/c/ArgoSocial btw. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You certainly need to come out about your fiancée 

Yeah, I'll be truthful. I hope I will have a lenient visa officer who understands my community. 

18 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Is he your boyfriend or not?  Since you previously asked about I-129F/K1, he must be your boyfriend or fiance.  You must be truthful when asked by the interviewing officer.  The way you worded that, sounds like you intend to lie.  If you are not asked about him, no need to volunteer any information.  But if you are asked something like, "Who is Mr XYZ listed in your form?" or "Who are you staying with?", don't lie by saying, "just a friend".  You would be risking any future US immigration process if the consulate finds that you misrepresented yourself on your tourist visa application.

Yes and No. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Daydreamer23 said:

We're not boyfriends because we haven't seen each other in almost two years. We're more like penpals who can't wait to meet in person.

That's not what you said in a previous post:

"We're more than just friends. We discussed marriage and other topics. What should we do if we decide to get married?"

So do discuss marriage with a penpal? Mmmmm...

8 minutes ago, Daydreamer23 said:

I've heard that naming one's "boyfriend/girlfriend" isn't smart because visa officers presume every B2 applicant has immigration intent and would pursue a "green card" sponsored by his American bf/gf.

Lying is dumber. What if the relationship develops further, and then you want to pursue the fiance visa or even a CR1? Do you not think that they look at your files and previous visa applications? Plot twist, they do. And if they catch the lie (and they will), they'll sit on your case for years and years and then you'll be back here asking why is your case taking so long.

You can certainly try for a tourist visa, pay the fee and see what happens. But be honest with your answers. Worse case scenario they deny the visa. No big deal, after all, Europe is also full of gay friendly cities you can enjoy.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

That's not what you said in a previous post:

"We're more than just friends. We discussed marriage and other topics. What should we do if we decide to get married?"

So do discuss marriage with a penpal? Mmmmm...

Lying is dumber. What if the relationship develops further, and then you want to pursue the fiance visa or even a CR1? Do you not think that they look at your files and previous visa applications? Plot twist, they do. And if they catch the lie (and they will), they'll sit on your case for years and years and then you'll be back here asking why is your case taking so long.

You can certainly try for a tourist visa, pay the fee and see what happens. But be honest with your answers. Worst-case scenario they deny the visa. No big deal, after all, Europe is also full of gay-friendly cities you can enjoy.

Yeah, he's a friend and a boyfriend at the same time. How can you call someone your SO when you haven't had physical intimacy with him in 2years? I have already paid $180ish for a visa. My interview is scheduled for the end of this month, OMG. Europe you describe is pretty much closed to me. Israel is the only one I can travel to without undergoing a cumbersome visa application process.

Edited by Daydreamer23

Always be truthful. This person is not just a friend; you have discussed filing for a K-1 visa. If you are not sure if you would call him a boyfriend/fiance, just be truthful about that.

Your sexual orientation will not make any difference.

2 hours ago, Daydreamer23 said:

I want to make him/her feel somewhat emotional so that he/she believes I have a valid reason for traveling.

Good luck trying to play on the officer's emotions. They are just doing their job, they hear stories like yours all the time, and they are trained to find out if an applicant is lying or may be hiding something (like having a boyfriend in the US).

Be honest about your intentions. If your goal is to spend time with the boyfriend so you can file a K-1, it would be easier for him to travel to you or to meet in a third country.

Edited by Marieke H

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Daydreamer23 said:

Yeah, he's a friend and a boyfriend at the same time. How can you call someone your SO when you haven't had physical intimacy with him in 2years? I have already paid $180ish for a visa. My interview is scheduled for the end of this month, OMG.

Then by the same token, you shouldn't be planning on marrying a friend or filing a K1 if you don't know what label to put. See my point?

My point is, you want to lie about this relationship to get approved for a visa. That's a terrible idea. I'd much rather waste $180 than burn my chances here in the US.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.