ryan3434

What if the airfare is too much to leave US within 90 days?

57 posts in this topic

Hello, my Chinese fiance is currently in the US on a K1. Our situation is unique because even if we get married within 90 days, we both need to return to China in Sept. for work. (Her 90 days is up on Sept. 13). However, the flight tickets to China before that point are at least $8K, which is about 15x the normal price. Does anyone know whether the USCIS has issued a waiver for this situation, or if we can apply for extension due to these extenuating circumstances? Thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I really doubt USCIS would issue an extension solely based on travel costs.  I would start looking at other routes to get back to China.

Others may know better, but I do not think the K1 can be extended like a B2 anyway.

Good Luck!

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
13 minutes ago, ryan3434 said:

Hello, my Chinese fiance is currently in the US on a K1. Our situation is unique because even if we get married within 90 days, we both need to return to China in Sept. for work. (Her 90 days is up on Sept. 13). However, the flight tickets to China before that point are at least $8K, which is about 15x the normal price. Does anyone know whether the USCIS has issued a waiver for this situation, or if we can apply for extension due to these extenuating circumstances? Thank you!!

1. Did she know at the time of her K-1 interview that she would not be living in the USA and not marrying?

2. Was she asked by the CO if she intends to marry the petitioner?

3. Did you have domicile in the USA at the time of her interview?

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

1. Did she know at the time of her K-1 interview that she would not be living in the USA and not marrying?

2. Was she asked by the CO if she intends to marry the petitioner?

3. Did you have domicile in the USA at the time of her interview?

The answer to all of these is no. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, ryan3434 said:

The answer to all of these is no. Thanks.

Is there a reason why you did not buy a return flight?  

I strongly suggest you find a way to exit the country before her allowed stay expires.  I see flights through Doha that would be under USD2200.  Maybe if you listed cities and dates, you could get even cheaper options. 

Edited by Lemonslice

10 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I strongly suggest you find a way to exit the country before her allowed stay expires.  I see flights through Doha that would be under USD2200.  Maybe if you listed cities and dates, you could get even cheaper options. 

We didn't buy a return flight right away because there were so many uncertainties about our situation. Can I ask what flight that is that connects in Doha? I don't see any such thing. Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This sounds like one of the rare cases where the couple planned to use a K-1 as a B2.  I am amazed the consulate issued this K-1.... and I am amazed CBP allowed the visa holder to enter the US.  I know of no way to extend the I-94.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1. Get married in US ..like today. That way whenever you DO decide to come back , path will be CLEAN and CLEAR. 

2. While here , YOU the USC should establish some domicile relevant evidence ( accounts w $$, DMV w US relative/friends address, voter registration, your US tax return..etc) 

3. That way she fulfills the getting married part, she also has 179  days before ULP kicks in. 

DIY immigration is not as simple as the VJ regulars presume …( Crazy Cat exempted) but it’s never too late to right the course. 

Good luck 

Edited by Family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

To piggy ride on this: Don't attempt Doha. With WC in 3 months or so, it's hectic. 

My sister, this past weekend, was denied boarding from Doha to IAH "because flight was overbooked." Spent the night at the airport and was lucky to get next flight. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

45 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

This sounds like one of the rare cases where the couple planned to use a K-1 as a B2.  I am amazed the consulate issued this K-1.... and I am amazed CBP allowed the visa holder to enter the US.  I know of no way to extend the I-94.  

We did not use it as B2. There was a 50% chance my contract in China would be renewed, so we did not know if we'd be doing AOS. The delay on the marriage is because we're trying to work out the details of the international prenup, which has been more complex than we anticipated. I'm not sure what "domicile" means exactly, but I am a US citizen and lived here until 2017. I am on a year-to-year contract in China, and after that, I plan to return to the US, so maybe I do have domicile here. 

Edited by ryan3434

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ryan3434 said:

We did not use it as B2. There was a 50% chance my contract in China would be renewed, so we did not know if we'd be doing AOS. The delay on the marriage is because we're trying to work out the details of the international prenup, which has been more complex than we anticipated. 

OK.  Thanks for explaining.  I second the suggestion of @Family to marry soon.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, ryan3434 said:

We did not use it as B2. There was a 50% chance my contract in China would be renewed, so we did not know if we'd be doing AOS. The delay on the marriage is because we're trying to work out the details of the international prenup, which has been more complex than we anticipated. 

May I ask when you filed the I-129 F ? 
I am guessing a good 18 months of processing…so I cannot see a prenup delay of that length….even one involving a U.S.  Attorney Draft ( you)  and Chinese Attorney Review ( her). 

But all that is water under the bridge. Your Fiancé Vis process has effectively BLOCKED her from future non immigrant visas in the future ( as they will presume immigrant intent)..,and if you feel it is IMPORTANT to protect yourself rather than do a Shotgun Wedding Without Solid Prenup..then follow the course. 

If the two of you ever get married, file I-130 , she will be FINE 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.