Joe98

My filipina fiancee coming to US next weekend

47 posts in this topic

I will try not to make this very long if  I can help it. My filipina fiancee has her cfo certificate and I have her flights scheduled for next Saturday night from the Philippines to where I live now. She is scheduled to arrive June 19th around 6 in the evening. The main reason I'm on here now is I'm wondering how she should answer whatever questions the cbp officer will ask of her. She will be arriving in Hartsfield Jackson international airport in Atlanta on June 19th around 10am. I'm sure she will be asked what her purpose is for coming to the US. The obvious reason of course is to be United in marriage with me on her k1 visa. I guess she can just say it like that because it is not wrong answer or however she wants to say it. She will probably be asked what my address is and maybe what my occupation is. I am wondering if the cbp officer will ask her to list some facts about the state I live in. I haven't talked to her much about that and I'm wondering if I should tell her some things just to make sure she is ready. I'm hoping someone can share some tips with me.

Hello villanelle and crazy Kat. I appreciate your input and maybe I am over thinking this but my Filipina fiancee is easily confused sometimes about things. The poor girl honestly didn't realize that her cfo certificate was emailed to her. She actually showed me the email and the pdf was right there to be printed but she didn't understand that. I had to explain it to her. While yes she is an adult and for the most part does have common sense, she isn't the best when it comes to doing some things online and she doesn't own a laptop or anything like that. So yes please bare with me and try to understand that I am still in this process unlike others who have already gone through it. And I do believe I do have the human and caring right to be concerned about my fiancee getting confused with whatever questions she will be asked. She will probably be be just fine. But I'm guessing both of you went through this process already and I understand that you are trying to help. But please allow me to seek answers and if necessary be a good concerned fiance who is trying to make the process as easy as I can for her. Please bare with me if I do seem to be overthinking this but I love this girl and want to be with her and help her through this as much as possible. I'm sorry if I might seem to be a little agitated and frustrated but both of you did come across as though you were putting me down and that really isn't necessary. I doubt you meant anything but that's how it felt to me. Try not to judge me or anyone else who is trying to help their loved ones in the process. Thank you both for your replies but I appreciate it if you would be more sensitive and not be so judgemental and ask me why am I so concerned. My fiancee has nothing to hide and I don't either but both of us sometimes need guidance, not judgment. Have a great weekend 

11 minutes ago, Joe98 said:

Hello villanelle and crazy Kat. I appreciate your input and maybe I am over thinking this but my Filipina fiancee is easily confused sometimes about things. The poor girl honestly didn't realize that her cfo certificate was emailed to her. She actually showed me the email and the pdf was right there to be printed but she didn't understand that. I had to explain it to her. While yes she is an adult and for the most part does have common sense, she isn't the best when it comes to doing some things online and she doesn't own a laptop or anything like that. So yes please bare with me and try to understand that I am still in this process unlike others who have already gone through it. And I do believe I do have the human and caring right to be concerned about my fiancee getting confused with whatever questions she will be asked. She will probably be be just fine. But I'm guessing both of you went through this process already and I understand that you are trying to help. But please allow me to seek answers and if necessary be a good concerned fiance who is trying to make the process as easy as I can for her. Please bare with me if I do seem to be overthinking this but I love this girl and want to be with her and help her through this as much as possible. I'm sorry if I might seem to be a little agitated and frustrated but both of you did come across as though you were putting me down and that really isn't necessary. I doubt you meant anything but that's how it felt to me. Try not to judge me or anyone else who is trying to help their loved ones in the process. Thank you both for your replies but I appreciate it if you would be more sensitive and not be so judgemental and ask me why am I so concerned. My fiancee has nothing to hide and I don't either but both of us sometimes need guidance, not judgment. Have a great weekend 

You're way overthinking this. Unless she says something admitting to outright criminal behavior, CBP is very unlikely to flag her or harass her or react negatively towards her. She already has a K1 visa, which is proof of official permission granted to her by the US govt to enter the country under a legal status (fiancé/e of a US citizen intending to marry each other). CBP processes hundreds of thousands to millions of incoming visitors to the US every day so they don't have time to grill every person (especially one granted a proper visa). Also, what would a "trivia test" about your state accomplish? CBP understands most non-Americans coming in would not know much about USA or the state they're flying into. As stated, she just has to keep her answers clear and short and honest. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

No consular officer is going to deny entry to the recipient of a fiancé visa at the port of entry unless they discover something really egregious like she’s married to someone else, committed some heinous crime after her visa was issued or something of the sort.

Relax, yes it’s easy for us to say that after already completing our immigration journeys but really relax. We’re not being condescending, but at this point it’s almost a done deal.

Good luck 🍀!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

5 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Is it going to be her first time on a plane/travelling abroad? If yes, I can understand how it would be overwhelming, especially if she isn't that computer literate. Add to that, she's moving overseas, which is stressful for anyone.

CBP is used to dealing with all kinds of passengers, from complete newbies who don't speak English, all the way to the jaded million milers. They aren't going to give her a hard time unless they find something suspicious about her behavior. 

I suppose it would help if she watched some YouTube videos about flying to the US so that she has an idea of what to expect. There likely won't be any footage of actual CBP interviews but she could read articles online about what it's like. Just don't watch stuff like Border Patrol 😉

Thank you adventine for your reply. Of everyone responding to me you have been the most understanding. I'm sure I'm not the only one. My fiancee has been to another country like Saudi Arabia many years ago for work purposes but that's it. She has never been to the United States. She is looking forward to it but again this is the biggest trip she has ever taken on before so naturally she is a little nervous and so am I. I realize everyone else means well but I still feel like they are being a little condescending to me even if they don't mean to and I feel they should read how you are responding to me and learn from you. But again thank you for your understanding reply. I will help her with learning about laptops and chromebooks since I have some over here. Take care. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe98 said:

The main reason I'm on here now is I'm wondering how she should answer whatever questions the cbp officer will ask of her

Short, honest answers are the way to go. 

2 hours ago, Joe98 said:

visa. I guess she can just say it like that because it is not wrong answer

Again, short, honest answers “I’m here because I’m marrying my future husband”

2 hours ago, Joe98 said:

is. I am wondering if the cbp officer will ask her to list some facts about the state I live in

No, this is not an exam. Realistically, they don’t have the time for that. Plus, they understand that a foreigner might know little to nothing about the State.

1 hour ago, Joe98 said:

nd I do believe I do have the human and caring right to be concerned about my fiancee getting confused with whatever questions she will be asked.

You do have a right to be concerned about whatever you want. But if she’s stressed, then you getting antsy about things you don’t even know if they are going to happen is obviously not helping.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

With the exception of Adventine and Crazy Cat, thanks everyone for your replies and helping me to feel at ease. As for Adventine and Crazy Cat, I want to request that both of you refrain from responding to any more of my inquiries. I don't need either of your attitudes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Joe98 said:

With the exception of Adventine and Crazy Cat, thanks everyone for your replies and helping me to feel at ease. As for Adventine and Crazy Cat, I want to request that both of you refrain from responding to any more of my inquiries. I don't need either of your attitudes. 

Can you please tell me exactly how I was being judgmental?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.