LittleLune

Didn't hand over sealed packet at POE

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I entered the US on my K-1 visa last month, but during entry the officer didn't ask for the sealed packet, so I forgot about it. I've tried contacting USCIS about it, but it's impossible to actually speak to a person and the robots don't know what I'm talking about. Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do with this packet now?

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly near an international airport, so I called Detroit (my POE) and explained that, and they told me "You can probably send it." That doesn't sound super convincing, so I'm going to try and gather some more information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
32 minutes ago, LittleLune said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly near an international airport, so I called Detroit (my POE) and explained that, and they told me "You can probably send it." That doesn't sound super convincing, so I'm going to try and gather some more information.

Do what you have to do to hand deliver. Too busy for that may come to bite you later. Ball's in your court. I wouldn't send it. Hand deliver it yourself. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Based on the info on your profile, your nearest deferred inspection site is in Buffalo. 

Address:Peace Bridge Plaza
Buffalo, NY 14213

Hours of Operation:10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday Only

Contact Information:(716) 888-4926

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Based on the info on your profile, your nearest deferred inspection site is in Buffalo. 

Address:Peace Bridge Plaza
Buffalo, NY 14213

Hours of Operation:10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday Only

Contact Information:(716) 888-4926

Thanks!!! For some reason my eyes completely skipped over Buffalo being a listed option.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It’s been awhile since they don’t hand carry sealed packet and hand it to the immigration officer at the port of entry. Since they start sending documents electronically.immigrants don’t have to carry it.they called it right now modernised  immigrant visa (MIV) so if that happened to you . Only an immigrant officer should opened it. And the reason why he didn’t asked you about it ,it’s because he has all the documents needed in his computer.I think you have already been registered as an alien.lots of immigrant cross the port of entry without sealed packets anymore But do what you can to make sure that you re registered.and I’m sorry if I’m wrong. Don’t want to give false information.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Hanane حنان said:

It’s been awhile since they don’t hand carry sealed packet and hand it to the immigration officer at the port of entry. Since they start sending documents electronically.immigrants don’t have to carry it.they called it right now modernised  immigrant visa (MIV) so if that happened to you . Only an immigrant officer should opened it. And the reason why he didn’t asked you about it ,it’s because he has all the documents needed in his computer.I think you have already been registered as an alien.lots of immigrant cross the port of entry without sealed packets anymore But do what you can to make sure that you re registered.and I’m sorry if I’m wrong. Don’t want to give false information.

This is not the case for everyone. If you received a packet you have to hand it over. It's your immigration file with all the originals that needs to get back to USCIS from the embassy/ consulate.

5 hours ago, LittleLune said:

Thanks!!! For some reason my eyes completely skipped over Buffalo being a listed option.

The Highway signs are clear enough in order to avoid accidentally going to Canada. The yellow asterisk in the following picture is the building's entrance, but specify that you are looking for Deferred Inspection:

US%20Plaza%20-%20peds.JPG

On Google Maps type in: W33X+JX Buffalo, New York

1 hour ago, Hanane حنان said:

K1s still need to bring the sealed envelope of documents and hand this over to an Immigration Officer upon arrival. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

This is not the case for everyone. If you received a packet you have to hand it over. It's your immigration file with all the originals that needs to get back to USCIS from the embassy/ consulate.

What originals . Do they keeps original documents.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

K1s still need to bring the sealed envelope of documents and hand this over to an Immigration Officer upon arrival. 

Ooh ok. Only for k1 or for all kinds of visa.

1 minute ago, Hanane حنان said:

Ooh ok. Only for k1 or for all kinds of visa.

Im not sure of the requirements for all the different types of visas.  We did K1 and entered the US this year and turned over the packet of information at the port of entry.  For IR1/CR1 which it appears you have done, it is electronic.  As advised by others in the thread, the OP needs to go a deferred inspection site.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.